“Romantic and Spooky”

Niagara Crossing Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lewiston
Reviewed January 7, 2010

One week prior to my fifth anniversary, my partner and I booked a night at the Barton in following previous trips to quaint Lewiston. The village centre itself is within easy reach from the hotel, of particular note is Apple Granny's. Very old-time American fare with cheap, honest (and friend) food. Very comforting on cold autumn days. We enjoyed the coffee house just up the road as well. That, and the general ambiance of the setting before Hallowe'en. Very spooky!

The hotel itself was quite lovely - the interiors were finished in an old world / colonial style, with heavy, dark wood flooring and within the "Bird Watching Suites" [-or something to the effect-] the bathroom was quite large and really very lovely. In a place that billed itself on luxury, there were some minuses, mainly in some of the details - the carpetting was straight out of a Travelodge and in some spots it looked like the paint wasn't applied properly. The parking "facilitiy" [aka the gravel side yard] was underwhelming and not a pleasant first impression. Nonetheless, the overall effect was a lovely, quaint experience - which I can't extend to the crossing of the border. Out of the hands of the lovely people of Lewiston.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 5, 2010

I was really excited to go to this spa but will never return. From the get go the walkway was not shoveled and I had to struggle awkwardly through 2 feet of snow to reach the doorway. When I arrived I was abruptly moved to a cold room, given a glass of water and told to fill out a form. An employee (who turned out to be my massage therapist) stumbled in exclaiming "Oh my god! I totally spun out! I almost died out there!" ... um hello? I'm sorry that your drive sucked but how do you think i got there? Helicoptered in? The massage therapist told me she was running late because of the weather...fine.

I was taken upstairs to the massage room and told to put my clothes on the chair and lie under the sheet on the table. What? No robe? Any place claiming to be a spa should supply robes at the very least. ... especially considering I was having multiple services that day. The massage itself was nice, no complaints there.

After the massage I had to put my clothes back on, grab my things and meet the massage therapist downstairs to get another glass of water. Next was my pedicure ... oh my god :(. For starters they don't have actual pedicure chairs. They have an old chair fluffed up with pillows and a bowl of water with wheels on the bottom of it... lame. $50.00 for this? really? The nail technician was nice...but rough and slightly unprofessional. She talked about herself a lot and even mentioned topics such as "herpes" while I was having my pedicure done and she swore a few times. I've been more relaxed at asian nail salons. The pedicure itself... decent. I've seen better. Definitely not worth $50.00.

******While I was having my pedicure done, I could hear the girl at the front desk (talking nicely) on the phone with clients...when she would get off the phone call she would instantly mimic and talk badly about them...I COULD HEAR EVERYTHING SHE SAID!! Did she do that to me too? **********

Next was my body treatment. I chose a salt glow which is also known as a body polish. Due to the service providers lack of discretion I understood that my esthetician called in and she (the one who was called in) came to "save the day" .. yea. great. The service itself was okay. she kept leaving the room, once for about 5 minutes to "go get a different lotion" It was definitely relaxing except for the timer she had set for the first half which was loudly ticking away and then "DING" I felt like I was a turkey that was done in the oven. The second half of the body treament was great.. just wish it would've been like that the whole time. After the body treatment I was told to "take my time getting up" as she'd be "waiting for me downstairs" ugh fine. I got up, got dressed (again) and went downstairs. She met me with a glass of water and told me to go sit in the "relaxation room around the corner" ...just so you all know, it was the cold miserable place I filled out the paperwork in. I waited for my ride, paid my bill ($220.00) and left.

Overall I have to say this: The services themselves were nice. The customer service and over all "spa flow" was crap. Its a rumor in the spa circuit that Barton Hill is filing for bankruptcy. After the experience I had, it's not shocking at all. Improve your spa ambience and front desk... Barton Hill may have a shot in hell of surviving.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank Advise2LiveBy
Reviewed December 30, 2009

First of all, the hotel was very nice and clean. The rooms look brand new and well kept, but in a traditional and historic style. Our two nights spanned on weeday and one weekend night, and as others have said, it was beautiful and relaxing, but Saturday nights can be a bit busy with wedding parties.

The real gem of the hotel is it's location. Directly out the front of the hotel you see the Niagara River and Canada. It seems to be a very safe area. Within a few minutes walk are several restaurants ranging from casual dining, small cafes and coffee shops, ice cream stands, bars, and bakeries (and most are charming small businesses, not the big chains). There was even a sports bar/biker hangout BBQ place that we visited that was fun, right across the street from some more upscale restaurants. The hotel is located where you can take a walk and browse the local merchants and antique shops, and be back at your room in a few minutes.

One warning, while this is located near Niagara Falls, I did not find any local shuttles or buses to take you there. If you want to visit Niagara Falls itself or the local casino, it is about a 10 minute drive or ride in a cab.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 7, 2009

My husband and I got a great package deal for an overnite stay (thank god!!) If I would have paid regular price I would have demanded a full refund!! I have to first say that overall its a very pretty hotel and the room was "nice", dinner was also very good.
The problem is we stayed on the 3rd floor and there was a party (with a band) on the 2nd floor.......Well from 6-11 it sounded like the band was planning right in our room!!!! It was extremely loud and very annoying. We asked how long the pary was going until and were told 10 but it went until 11. My husband went down to complain around 10:30 but was completely ignored! Basically the walls and floors are paper thin! I could hear the baby crying 2 doors down and heard the people on the 4th floor walking above us!!
I left a message for the manager when I got home and never even received a call back!
But hey, why would they call they got their money! They will not change anything they book the rooms and book the parties...WHO CARES ABOUT ALL THE NOISE???

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank justmeBuffalo
Reviewed November 15, 2009

This was my first stay at Barton Hill Hotel and Spa. What a treasure. Brand new facility with all amenities, but with old world charm. Service in rooms, excellent, front desk service also friendly and accommodating. The breakfast was very good, and tables look out over the Niagara River. The town of Lewiston is also charming with great restaurants and DiCamillo's bakery, a family company for three generations. Rocking chairs in front of the hotel are great for relaxing or reading while viewing the river. Only ten minutes drive to the Falls, but in a quieter and much more quaint setting. Wine tours available and the spa is wonderful

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sfeiten
Reviewed November 2, 2009

I was having my Wedding in the area and decided on making The Barton Hill the place where all of the Wedding Party and Family would stay. Mind you the wedding events planner was very difficult to reach throughout the whole planning process leading up to the day and a very obnoxious Wedding Party was also staying there that weekend-and having their wedding there. I feel the hotel had no idea what it was getting into as I witnessed chairs being thrown out of rooms and people wearing inappropriate clothing, being rowdy and drinking in the hallways. The other Wedding party had no respect that there were other guests in from all over the world and they made the experience harder to enjoy. The hotel did call the police though-so I don't know if this was a lesson for them, but beware when in a small hotel! I don't blame the hotel for not knowing what to do in the situation though and feel that with that one experience under their belt they will be able to judge what weddings to book at their hotel. Other than that the rooms were lovely and the location was perfect. It was also easy to do activities in the area such as the whirlpool jet boat tour and lots of cute shops, cafes and restaurants. I do recommend this hotel-hopefully next time a horrible wedding party won't invade!

• Stayed: August 2009
Reviewed October 27, 2009

Cleveland, Ohio used to describe itself as 'America's North Coast' (maybe it still does.) But surely the Barton Hill matches it for insularity. Here is a hotel on the banks of the (fairly narrow) Niagara River. Canada is in plain view on the other side. The hotel flies the Canadian flag, presumably as a sign of welcome. But its cable TV offerigs include not a single Canadian channel. Can you imagine a Canadian hotel, even one 100 miles or more from the border (say in Edmonton, Alberta) without US channels? Amazing.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Ruswarp
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewiston
Hilton Garden Inn Niagara-on-the-Lake
Hilton Garden Inn Niagara-on-the...
#8 of 16 in Niagara-on-the-Lake
South Landing Inn
#1 of 1 in Queenston
Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Niagara Falls, ON
The Pillar and Post Inn, Spa and Conference Centre
The Pillar and Post Inn, Spa and...
#6 of 16 in Niagara-on-the-Lake

Been to Niagara Crossing Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!