“A much needed getaway.”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lewiston
pennsylvania
“A much needed getaway.”
Reviewed March 31, 2014

Beautiful old property. The staff is amazing, friendly, and willing to go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable. The room was ok. I would recommend additional seating in the rooms. Our view was most likely the worst we have ever had. We were in room 214 overlooking the muddy parking lot. Room 214 is also very close to the dining room. We woke to the sounds of clanking dishes and loud guests. The restaurant was very nice, beautiful view. We didn't eat dinner there. We did stop in for some late night desserts, and they were delicious. The breakfast buffet was lacking. Very few choices, but the choices they offered were very good. The spa was well laid out. I had a facial. Not the best facial I ever had, but still enjoyable. I was disappointed in the length of the treatment. I paid for a 50 minute treatment and only got maybe 35 minutes tops. All in all we had a very nice time and will most likely keep this property on our short list of places to visit again, but will request a different room type.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms on the second floor near the dining room.
1 Thank iluv2travel2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed March 28, 2014

My friend and I purchased a group on for a full spa day - massage, facial, mani/pedi for $200. It was the deal of the year! The hotel is beautiful and the spa is equally wonderful; large rooms for each service and each has a shower (which I didn't use). The facial was good, not the best ever but definitely felt clean and fresh. The massage was relaxing and the mani/pedi also was easy and quality. It was a tad disorganized with timing but nothing that was a huge negative impact. The only thing I wish had been different was to have either snacks available or even offered to order lunch from the restaurant - a full day of spa treatment definitely needs to be accompanied with some food. Totally satisfied, staff are warm and unpretentious - definitely recommend.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank renee0327
Oakville, Canada
Reviewed March 25, 2014

I have to say, I absolutely love Barton Hill Hotel and Spa. A worthwile drive from Canada as an alternative to Niagara on the Lake. I first discovered this hidden gem through Groupon a few years ago. Since then, I have become a frequent guest of the hotel - often planning two day getaways every couple of months. I have always had a wonderful experience. On occasion I have had to request additional towels, or I have asked for assistance with temperature control, but the staff at Barton Hill have always been eager to make my stays comfortable and have done so with a smile and professionalism. The continental breakfast is fantastic and includes some delicious hot options, including chocolate filled pastry, a lovely egg and bacon quiche cup and scones to die for. There is also a wide selection of cereals, fresh fruit, yogurt and juice. Not to mention wonderful hot coffee and an array of specialty teas. The lobby is welcoming and has the feel of a southern plantation home. The furniture about the lobby is placed in such a way that guests are able to select a seating area that is either conducive to private conversation by the fire, a more social area for a game of chess, simply reading a magazine or enjoying a coffee while taking in the view from the large windows. The spa is a quiet sanctuary where you will be offered a cup of tea as you enjoy your treatment. While I have only had pedicures during my stays, the chairs are some of the most comfortable. They are not the traditional salon chairs, they are large lounge chairs with high backs and soft cushioning. The location is excellent. A short walk up the hill and you will find yourself wandering through a main street filled with unique coffee shops, bakeries, antique stores and a wide selection of restaurants. If you venture down to the lake you will find a small park filled with picnic tables and benches positioned to capture the best view. I highly recommend Barton Hill for a romantic getaway, spacation with girlfriends, quality family time or for some well-deserved alone time to unwind, relax and rejuvenate. Many thanks to the staff at Barton Hill for offering such a unique mini holiday option.

Room Tip: Don't be afraid to ask for extra towels, drinking glasses, or amenities - like pillows or shampo...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Vineland, Canada
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Although there is a feel of faded grandeur with this hotel, I really enjoyed it and would go back. The location is wonderful and being upgraded to a river view room made it even better. The staff were friendly, the spa lovely and relaxing, the lobby elegant and the breakfast room attractive. The continental breakfast was tasty. I don't have any complaints, we got a great deal through WagJag so we feel the experience was just right.

Newmarket, ON
Reviewed March 8, 2014

I got this through Groupon and I did read many reviews prior to booking. Overall I felt the room was very clean and was all that we needed. Yes, I will agree that there were not a lot of "luxury" toiletries. But if you are only ther for a night or two,you will survive.
As we drove up, it was not well communicated as to where to park. The reception was very nice and our room was ready early. There were no noise issues in our room as some people have complained and we were on the second floor. The bed was very comfortable and the room was clean. We did not use our voucher for dinner but chose to go up the road to the Brickyard Pub. It was fantastic. The service was great as well as the outstanding smoked meats.
Breakfast the following morning was good, although they did seem to run out of products for people arriving after us
We would certainly return but maybe not In the winter. Would love to see this area in the springtime.

1 Thank Cheryl P
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed March 6, 2014

The staff was basically non existent. I called down to the front desk at least 4 times of approximately 15 rings each to noone answering. We had trouble with the firep[lace remote and the heat finally someone came up. This was a travelzoo pkg and I expect they need the business as there were very few people staying there. I almost cancelled when I did book a few weeks earlier as the girl on the phone was incredibly rude and condescending. . We were celebrating an anniversary and were not given an upgrade .I feel the $99 was enough to spend . I would have been outraged if it was the full amount. The entire hotel was cold . My husband and I were both sick after. The meal upstairs was fair. The chair in our room had ink marks all over it. Some replacements need to be done for sure,
Not worth a repeat visit.

2 Thank dissatisfied96
Austin
Reviewed March 4, 2014

This Hotel has so many problems that I am amazed at how some customers can write positive reviews. I have posted several photos to show my fellow travelers what I experienced in room 226.

First the positives: The location is really good. The hotel sits one block from the Niagara River and is a pleasant ten-minute walk to Lewiston’s historic downtown area. The staff is generally polite, courteous, and eager to please. The complimentary continental breakfast was good and offered coffee, orange juice, cereals, toast, butter, jellies, croissants, and an egg wrapped in ham and bacon.

The room décor ranges from plain awful to non-existent. The main hallway and bathroom have no decorations whatsoever. Although, strangely enough, one hall did have an empty 3’x5’ picture frame hung on the stucco wall. Bathroom shelves were unlined and barren. The sleeping area had just three framed prints-all boring and nondescript. The curtains were of poor quality and held back by wall hooks that were falling off the walls. My desk chair had to be removed due to a lack of structural integrity.

Amenities were even more pathetic than the room decorations. There were no hangers, pen or paper, envelopes, room safe, bible, luggage rack, iron or ironing board. The front door didn’t even have a peep hole for security. The quality of the tissue and toilet paper was comparable to what you might find in a Charles Dickens’ orphanage. The bathroom offered only shampoo and bars of soap that were 2”x3”x ¼”. No conditioner. The fireplace is electronic. Please ask for instructions in order to operate the heating system.

I mention this last point more out of a concern for guest safety than inconvenience. It seems that a repeat guest was smoking in his room and set off the hotel fire alarm at 3:00 in the morning.
Every guest was subject to 20 minutes of a blaring fire alarm. We were disorientated and genuinely concerned for our safety. No fire trucks showed up. The front desk did not answer their phones. When pressed for information, the hotel said that they thought it was a smoker in one of the rooms but since the guest would not open the door they couldn’t be sure. Based on a hunch, the hotel made the decision to cancel the fire department or they did not bother to call them at all. This decision, in my opinion, verged on incompetence and illegal behavior which could have placed our health and safety in harm’s way.

Room Tip: Stay in Canada if you want a good hotel. The Lewiston Area offers little to no alternatives to medi...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank AustinGentleman
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewiston
South Landing Inn
River Rapids Inn
River Rapids Inn
#37 of 128 in Niagara Falls
Hilton Garden Inn Niagara-on-the-Lake
Hilton Garden Inn Niagara-on-the...
#9 of 15 in Niagara-on-the-Lake
Comfort Inn The Pointe
Comfort Inn The Pointe
#3 of 51 in Niagara Falls

Been to Niagara Crossing Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!