“Good stay and experience”

Niagara Crossing Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lewiston
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Although there is a feel of faded grandeur with this hotel, I really enjoyed it and would go back. The location is wonderful and being upgraded to a river view room made it even better. The staff were friendly, the spa lovely and relaxing, the lobby elegant and the breakfast room attractive. The continental breakfast was tasty. I don't have any complaints, we got a great deal through WagJag so we feel the experience was just right.

There are newer reviews for Niagara Crossing Hotel & Spa

Reviewed March 8, 2014

I got this through Groupon and I did read many reviews prior to booking. Overall I felt the room was very clean and was all that we needed. Yes, I will agree that there were not a lot of "luxury" toiletries. But if you are only ther for a night or two,you will survive.
As we drove up, it was not well communicated as to where to park. The reception was very nice and our room was ready early. There were no noise issues in our room as some people have complained and we were on the second floor. The bed was very comfortable and the room was clean. We did not use our voucher for dinner but chose to go up the road to the Brickyard Pub. It was fantastic. The service was great as well as the outstanding smoked meats.
Breakfast the following morning was good, although they did seem to run out of products for people arriving after us
We would certainly return but maybe not In the winter. Would love to see this area in the springtime.

1  Thank Cheryl P
Reviewed March 6, 2014

The staff was basically non existent. I called down to the front desk at least 4 times of approximately 15 rings each to noone answering. We had trouble with the firep[lace remote and the heat finally someone came up. This was a travelzoo pkg and I expect they need the business as there were very few people staying there. I almost cancelled when I did book a few weeks earlier as the girl on the phone was incredibly rude and condescending. . We were celebrating an anniversary and were not given an upgrade .I feel the $99 was enough to spend . I would have been outraged if it was the full amount. The entire hotel was cold . My husband and I were both sick after. The meal upstairs was fair. The chair in our room had ink marks all over it. Some replacements need to be done for sure,
Not worth a repeat visit.

2  Thank dissatisfied96
Reviewed March 4, 2014

This Hotel has so many problems that I am amazed at how some customers can write positive reviews. I have posted several photos to show my fellow travelers what I experienced in room 226.

First the positives: The location is really good. The hotel sits one block from the Niagara River and is a pleasant ten-minute walk to Lewiston’s historic downtown area. The staff is generally polite, courteous, and eager to please. The complimentary continental breakfast was good and offered coffee, orange juice, cereals, toast, butter, jellies, croissants, and an egg wrapped in ham and bacon.

The room décor ranges from plain awful to non-existent. The main hallway and bathroom have no decorations whatsoever. Although, strangely enough, one hall did have an empty 3’x5’ picture frame hung on the stucco wall. Bathroom shelves were unlined and barren. The sleeping area had just three framed prints-all boring and nondescript. The curtains were of poor quality and held back by wall hooks that were falling off the walls. My desk chair had to be removed due to a lack of structural integrity.

Amenities were even more pathetic than the room decorations. There were no hangers, pen or paper, envelopes, room safe, bible, luggage rack, iron or ironing board. The front door didn’t even have a peep hole for security. The quality of the tissue and toilet paper was comparable to what you might find in a Charles Dickens’ orphanage. The bathroom offered only shampoo and bars of soap that were 2”x3”x ¼”. No conditioner. The fireplace is electronic. Please ask for instructions in order to operate the heating system.

I mention this last point more out of a concern for guest safety than inconvenience. It seems that a repeat guest was smoking in his room and set off the hotel fire alarm at 3:00 in the morning.
Every guest was subject to 20 minutes of a blaring fire alarm. We were disorientated and genuinely concerned for our safety. No fire trucks showed up. The front desk did not answer their phones. When pressed for information, the hotel said that they thought it was a smoker in one of the rooms but since the guest would not open the door they couldn’t be sure. Based on a hunch, the hotel made the decision to cancel the fire department or they did not bother to call them at all. This decision, in my opinion, verged on incompetence and illegal behavior which could have placed our health and safety in harm’s way.

Room Tip: Stay in Canada if you want a good hotel. The Lewiston Area offers little to no alternatives to medi...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank AustinGentleman
Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

My fiancé and I stayed the night, we got a wag jag deal. When we arrived we were pleasantly surprised.. The hotel is not your every day hotel. It was nice looking around at all the old things they had on display. When we arrived they upgraded our room for free. We stayed in the freedom crossing retreat room and had a great view of the water. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The rooms we very big and clean. We had dinner at the resturant there and the food was excellent. When we were eating our dinner the Dianne the proprietor approached us and gave us some information about the hotel and things to do around the town.. She made us feel very welcomed. It was also my bday and Dianne made sure I got a complementary dessert. I will decently be back to this hotel.. Great overall experience..

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed March 2, 2014

My husband and I purchased a Wagjag voucher for the Barton Hill Inn and Spa and what a pleasant surprise it was. The Inn is beautiful, situated on the Niagara River. We were upgraded to a King River view room on the 4th floor and weren't disappointed. The view from our windows was spectacular as was the room itself. The room was very spacious and the bathroom was the largest we have ever had in a hotel. The floors of our room were incredible, wide planks of beautiful wood.

We took full advantage of what the Inn had to offer. We had dinner in the 2nd floor restaurant which was surprisingly good. The menu is not extensive however it provided the right amount of choice. My husband started with the pork belly sliders then followed that with the biggest steak I have ever seen. Portions are very generous so if eating at the Inn come hungry.

The onsite SPA provides extensive treatments...book early as appointments were hard to get, My husband had a massage on our 2nd day and said it was one of the best he has ever had.

I would highly recommend a stay at this charming establishment!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 418
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 1, 2014

My husband and I booked a special thru travelzoo for $99. We got a great deal! This place was wonderful! Its a very special place.

We arrived on Thursday afternoon, there was really no signage for the parking, but the girl at the desk in the lobby was quite helpful. They had upgraded us to the Spring Lake Room - although it did not overlook the river - it was beautiful. Very spacious, bathroom was huge, linens were very good quality!

We had dinner at the hotels restaurant that night - which is a little odd, because it is basically the second floor? No real entrance.....but the server was so pleasant, the food was quite good for the price. This is the same place we had breakfast the next morning, the breakfast was small, but it filled us up until lunch.

I wish we would have booked two nights as it was so nice and relaxing there. We did not have a chance to use the spa.

It seems like the owners are still working on this property - you could see some of the doors for rooms open with construction going on. I would guess it is very expensive for them to try to build the hotel as they want it. This is not a chain hotel, it is very unique - and I would assume a labour of love. I really hope that this hotel is a great success. Lewiston looks lovely and we would love to come back an visit in the summer time! Thank you for a lovely stay!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewiston
South Landing Inn
South Landing Inn
#1 of 1 in Queenston
Hilton Garden Inn Niagara-on-the-Lake
Hilton Garden Inn Niagara-on-the...
#8 of 15 in Niagara-on-the-Lake
#8 of 51 in Niagara Falls
Queen's Landing
Queen's Landing
#4 of 15 in Niagara-on-the-Lake

Been to Niagara Crossing Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!