“horrible” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lewiston
Rochester, New York
“horrible”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

my GF and I purchased a groupon and decided to give it a try, go see the holiday lights in Canada and relax for a weekend. Check in was fine, got to out room, while it was big it was very cold. The groupon included a $30 dinner voucher, we went to check it out, after waiting 20 minutes standing (not even a bar to sit have a cocktail and wait) and the place was not full... we were finally seated, the watress never came for another 20 minutes we decided to leave...
There was an instruction on how to opperate the tempature yet that did not work, turned on the fireplace very litte heat. We called down to front desk twice to figure out the heat... no answer 2 times. We should have just left and went home... folks avoid this place no matter what the deal is

Room Tip: avoid at all costs
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

This hotel has a huge potential to be something great. Unfortunately, the service here was poor. The hotel itself is in a terrific location with a beautiful view. Once inside, the flaws begin. Poor craftsmanship with half finished details. The rooms are large, but poorly lit and lacking general items like hangers, alarm clocks, irons, and fridges. There were no ice makers in the hotel for guests to use. We had to call the front desk for ice buckets to be delivered. We stayed for a wedding and asked for an iron. We were told they did not have any at that time and waited over 2 hours to be able to press our clothing. We were informed on the website an IPod docking station would be in the room. When we arrived, no such device was there. When we asked for one after checking the room out, we waited a day and a half and were given an old alarm clock that hummed when it was plugged in. We requested ice be brought to our room to chill the bottle of champagne on our mantle while we were out one evening. The front desk said they would take care of this . Unfortunately, when we returned 3 hours later, our bottle was warm and no ice had been delivered to the room as our wine bucket was completely dry. We had a wonderful weekend with our friends at their wedding, but this hotel did not add anything to our great weekend. I do hope this hotel can improve, but I for one, will not be returning.

Stayed September 2013
2 Thank dolfnz33
Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

My wife wanted to pay a return visit to the area to see her family. She has always wanted to stay at the Barton Hill Hotel. I travel internationally for business and I'm put off by "quaint" but agreed to her request. I admit, my wife made a good choice. The Niagara River is within view of the hotel's front door it's a short walk to the village's shops and restaurants. The hotel's staff was very helpful (I'm thankful they're not union robots like most hospitality businesses in NY!). Our room was large, clean, comfortable...and I slept like a baby! Kudos to Diane and her staff. I enjoyed my stay and would return again to the area if my wife lets me stay at Barton Hill.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Buckles2007
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

Been to Lewiston various times and this was the 1st time we stayed in town as we had driven past Barton Hill many times and thought that it looked nice with a great location by the river.
Once you walk in the front door it all comes unhinged.The main floor is cluttered and there is no signage for reception which turns out to be 2 desks.
Our room was not in good working order, noisy and dirty. They are constantly offering deals wherever they can and now I know why. It won't surprise me if they close soon after Christmas/New Year's Eve once they've taken the Holiday cash. Would never go back or recommend.

3 Thank FKP444
Cranberry Township, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013

This place was pretty interesting. When you walk in your sure it's an old mansion restored into a hotel, but it was built in 2008 or so (I may have remembered that date wrong). The staff was friendly, the room was nice and the food was very good. We only stayed 1 night, so we really didn't get to see if the location was any good or not. We stayed using a Groupon, which made it a good deal, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been willing to pay full price. This place looks great for a big party or a wedding. I couldn't get over the details that the owners went through to make this place look old. It was a lot of fun to look at all the old stuff and then learn it was all done intentionally. Kudos to the owners for their attention to detail. By the way, we met one of the owners (can't remember her name) and she was excited to tell us all about the hotel. If you see her, don't pass up the opportunity to have a conversation with her.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 2nd floor next to the hotel. I didn't have any complaints about the location o...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Jeff S
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

This is located in a lovely town near Niagara. It's a 10 minute ride to the Rainbow Bridge ($30 cab) and over 30 minutes from Buffalo airport ($85 cab). The inn is charming and you can tell it's an older building though the rooms are huge. My room had a bathroom the size of my Manhattan apartment. Our sink kept getting stuck so there were some things that could use repair. The room also had a gas fireplace that was so perfect for the late fall. Even though this was on, we froze at night. I didn't realize that the comforter/duvets were in the drawer until I was packing to leave. Why these were not on in the middle of November with snow expecting baffles me. The staff at the front was very friendly and helpful. The breakfast is very average, but appreciated when you are grabbing a quick bite. The staff working there is also super friendly. All and all it's a charming place to stay when in the area.

3 Thank Marie V
Hamilton, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

This hotel is located very close to the border and the staff are very helpful! The village of Lewiston is so quaint and the hotel wil some renovations and upgrading would be the same. The breakfast buffet is lacking quality and quantity! The tea was not hot and it was challenging to find someone to assist you. We ate dinner at the hotel and really enjoyed the soup, chicken, and potatoes. Our waitress was very friendly and checked in with us more than once. The bathrooms are huge and our bathroom had a double shower!

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade for a view of the river.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ProfessorOT
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewiston
Queen's Landing
#12 of 15 in Niagara-on-the-Lake
124 on Queen Hotel and Spa
124 on Queen Hotel and Spa
#1 of 15 in Niagara-on-the-Lake

Been to Niagara Crossing Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!