“Best Wedding Ever !!!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lewiston
Angola, New York
“Best Wedding Ever !!!”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

From the beginning to the end, The Barton Hill Hotel & Spa staff were always very professional and went out of their way to be helpful. The rooms were beautiful and well appointed. The wedding reception was FABULOUS! The room looked beautiful, the food was phenomenal and the staff was eager to please! If you are looking for a quick weekend getaway, or a wedding reception, The Barton Hill Hotel and Spa is your place.

Room Tip: Every room is beautiful!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

My friend and I stayed at the Barton hill hotel a few weeks ago. We had gone there because we had a Groupon and it appeared to be a good deal.

First the good: The location is outstanding. It overlooks the Niagara Gorge. The outside of the hotel looks lovely and the rooms have very comfortable beds and are nicely decorated.
There is a beautiful outdoor patio which overlooks the gorge.

Now for the bad:
This hotel appears to be grossly mismanaged.
The check in process was chaotic. This could've been due to the many people checking in at the same time and trying to get their rooms.

My spa appointment was scheduled for 5 PM that day, however I was not taken until 6:15 PM. This was a problem since dinner reservations were for 7 PM. It was $45 for the express pedicure which did not include any exfoliation. I ended up having to upgrade to the spa pedicure in order to get the exfoliation.
Now for the dinner. We both ordered ribeye steaks one medium and one rare. The server came out with the steaks but didn't know which was which and stated "the cook doesn't tell me which steak is which."
Both steaks had to be sent back as they were both well done. After ordering a glass of wine each, the server never came back to ask us if we wanted any refills.
When the food was properly prepared, it did turn out to be very good.
The next morning we had the buffet breakfast which was included with the room. Breakfast consisted of a buffet which had coffee, juice,yogurt,pastries and some sort of ham and egg
quiche. There were no servers visible anywhere. Since it was a beautiful morning most of the guest took their plates and walked out onto the patio area. If you were one of the first few guests on the patio it was beautiful, however if you came in a little bit later most of the tables were filled with dirty dishes. In order to sit at a table we had to clear off dirty dishes from our table and put them onto another one. In the entire time it took us to eat breakfast, not one server came out and attempted to clear the dirty plates. When we left the area at about 10:30 AM, every table on the patio was stacked with dirty plates.
All in all it was not a pleasant experience. This could be a very nice place if the management were better. This place appeared to be very understaffed and undertrained.

• Stayed June 2013
8 Thank kikasmom
Buffalo, New York, United States
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I'm not sure if this hotel keeps its ratings up by marking all bad reviews as fraudulent, but I am shocked to see how many people have given this place good reviews. Everything at this hotel was a little shabby, our room smelled funny, the other people we went with were checked into a room late that had no air conditioning in 90 degree heat. The spa staff was running an hour late, and our dinner took FOREVER when the restaurant was practically empty. I asked for a blanket to my room, which took 25 minutes, and received a dirty one with spots all over it. Lumpy, super uncomfortable pillows. It just seemed poorly managed/organized and like the place was running out of money or something.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
9 Thank LBuff_28
Buffalo
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I read the previous review as well as the response from the hotel events planner "Cheryl" who reported K.J.s review as being inappropriate. I totally disagree. That review by K.J. was right on target!!!!! I was also there with the large group of women. I was one of the dinner guests who did not receive their meal untill everyone else was done. My baked potato came at least 20 minutes before by steak. I asked waitress to reheat my potato, unfortunately it was never returned to me untill my steak was nearly gone. To add insult to injury as the restaurant manager was tallying up our bill ( I was one of the last few people in line waiting to pay my share of the bill) she acused our party of not paying the entire bill. She said that there were still 5 dinners that werent payed for and its going to be on someones hotel bill unless they pay their share. Her tone of voice was extremely agitated, unprofessional and accusatory. She did not want to hear any of our thoughts on how this might have been confused and at one point her voice became so hostile that I told her she was getting out of control; To which she replied "No, all of you are out of control" she walked away and added "F--- this" Im getting the hotel manager" and ordered us to "stay right there". (Yes, she really did say that, I am not exaggerating!) We waited 20 minutes and finally the manager arrived and informed us that the bill was correct after all. She was very professional and offerred to serve coffee and danish in the lobby, where our group had gathered. Restaurant manager NEVER apologized. We were all very disappointed in our stay. There were other issues which I was willing to overlook and the Spa staff was friendly and professional however the restaurant experience really spoiled it for me and compelled me to write this review. I realize that we were a large group however we made these reservations well in advance and they should have been prepared for us. We went to this hotel as a result of one of those online deals. I honestly feel that we were not treated as well as the guests who had paid full price. I am not in the hotel business but even I realize the purpose of offering these deals is to help advertise the business and encouraging positive word of mouth referrals. Unfortunately now 25 people are relaying their negative experience to whoever asks.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
16 Thank lolaBuffalo
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I really wanted to like this place. Really. Let's just say, they desperately need Robert Irvine to come in and whip this place into shape. It COULD be nice. But it seems to be HORRIBLY mismanaged. If they want any chance to stay in business, they need to do something, fast.

1. The first warning signal for us should have been when we called the spa two times and left messages that we wanted to make appointments for services and never received a phone call back. Terrible service.

2. Service for dinner in the dining room was terrible. We were one of 2 larger parties and they had 2 waitresses (one that was very rude) and no bus boys. The whole time we were there we were offered no refills on drinks, no extra water after ours was gone... you know, basic services that are a given at any restaurant. We sat for about a half hour before they brought bread. Another weird thing... they had no cash register in the restaurant... when asked for our bills the waitress told us she had to go downstairs to add up the bill. Then when we gave her cash to pay, they had no change. What kind of restaurant does this?

3. For breakfast in the morning, again... there were no employees to be found. We got their early to enjoy coffee on the terrace and eat and talk with our friends. We watched people come and go for 2 hours and not once did someone come out to clean up. I mean it when I say that every single table was filled with dirty plates and cups. People came out then went back in when there was no where to sit.

4. The whole hotel seems very shoddily built and very unkempt. I know it was made to have an antique-y look...but extremely crooked doors, cracks in walls, water damage, paint peeling, hooks and things just randomly placed after the fact, unfinished floor tiles, lots of cobwebs everywhere and dust, NO attention to detail here. Again, it COULD be really nice but just isn't.

5. The view from our room-- don't get me started on that one. I know the night we went it was not very crowded, so you would think they would want to impress their guests with a nice view-- heck, I would have preferred a view of the street. Looking out our window we could see part of the unfinished back of the building, half sided and half with rusty looking plaster. Sliding glass doors from rooms on other levels that went out to NO balcony, just a 2 story drop, then on one of the upper level floors we could see a siding glass door that went out to what may have started to be a balcony but was never finsihed-- just a slab of wood sticking out with literally 3 crooked, rusty metal poles that stuck up from the wood. Wow, that looks nice. On the ground level below us we could see what may have started to be the foundation for something... but never got past the foundation stage. What sits is a swampy smelly looking pool inside the poured foundation. Again-- why would they want people to see this?

I would hate for this place to become an eyesore in such a beautiful location.... but it will be unless some new management or a new owner comes in and puts some order into this place.

I would definitely NOT recommend Barton Hill to anyone unless some changes are made. Spend the money and go over to Pillar and Post or White Oaks if you want to see how a spa should be run.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
12 Thank K J
New Jersey
Reviewed June 30, 2013

The Barton Hotel is very nice in many ways. Our first impression of the hotel was very positive. Nicely decorated with wide open spaces and luxurious appointments.

The parking could be better as it is off to the side of the hotel or on the street across from the hotel.

Checking in was very smooth. The staff was very courteous and attentive to our needs. Our room was very large and well decorated, but some of the furniture was overly worn.

We enjoyed dinner at the restaurant at it was very good. We ordered salads, the rib eye steak, and the shrimp scampi. They have a decent wine list. Our bottle of Pinot Noir was good.

The terrace overlooking the Niagara River was a nice setting for enjoying breakfast. Although the choices were limited the breakfast was excellent.

We really enjoyed our stay at the Barton Hotel. Give the BH a try, you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank saveroom4dessert
Cheryl S, Special Events Coordinator at Niagara Crossing Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
We thank you for taking the time to write such a great review! The Barton Hill offers complimentary 24/7 valet parking for all of our guests who stay with us. It is as simple as giving your keys to one of our Front Desk Agents. Please be sure to take advantage of this luxury the next time you visit! Have a wonderful summer :)
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I had never heard of Lewiston before we stumbled upon this gem. We wanted to spend a day in Niagara on the Lake, but wanted to be on the US side to avoid Canadian phone bills/wifi. We researched and found this highly rated hotel right on the Niagara River. The hotel is family owned. The staff was beyond helpful and the location was great. We were minutes from wineries, the Canadian border, and the cute town of Lewiston. My kids fished off the pier and we had a great meal at Silo, home of the "man vs food" sandwich......didn't eat it, but loved the view. I would definitely go back!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank spin4lyf
We are truly appreciative of your wonderful review. Please come back and enjoy our beautiful property and village soon. Until then we wish you beautiful and sunny days :)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewiston
South Landing Inn
South Landing Inn
#1 of 1 in Queenston
Sheraton At The Falls
Sheraton At The Falls
#4 of 51 in Niagara Falls
Hilton Garden Inn Niagara-on-the-Lake
Hilton Garden Inn Niagara-on-the...
#9 of 15 in Niagara-on-the-Lake
River Rapids Inn
River Rapids Inn
#36 of 128 in Niagara Falls
Ramada Niagara Falls by the River
Queen's Landing
Queen's Landing
#4 of 15 in Niagara-on-the-Lake

Been to Niagara Crossing Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!