“Torn about Rating the Barton Again”

Niagara Crossing Hotel and Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lewiston
Kings Park, New York, United States
“Torn about Rating the Barton Again”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

I came here last January, and I could not have had a more wonderful experience. Everyone was so friendly and kind back then. Our spa services were wonderful. It was just such a great time.

From the second we walked in the hotel this time, though, it was obvious the place had changed. Diane let go of the reins a bit and promoted a front manager, who honestly wasn't kind to us at all (Kendal). We smiled, she just stood there and stared like we were crazy. There was one woman, however, who was reminiscent of the Barton that I remember from last year. Her name is Lori, and she was our waitress at dinner one night. She was bubbly, friendly, funny, and managed to get everyone in the dining room area to talk and socialize, as if it were a nice dinner party. She's so kind! Miss you, Lori!

We also noticed that there were two gay men staying at the hotel, too. I was SO angry to hear the people at the front desk chatter about how "uncomfortable" they were with them when I walked passed on my way to the spa. I really couldn't believe my ears. Unbelievable. And my party and I took the time to get to know the two at dinner one night, and they are extremely wonderful people. Shame on you!

We were very unhappy to see that the spa services became more expensive, and the time for each service declined by at least 20 minutes. What's that about? Last time we came here were dropped $700 between my friend and I. We would have done the same, but I wasn't dropping that money for services were were almost cut in half! This time we couldn't tip at well because we didn't have the money. Such a shame.

I don't know. While our room was gorgeous, the staff just weren't the wonderfully happy people that we remember. I really suggest taking a look at the people in the hotel, Diane, particularly those in positions of power. I don't think we'll be back. Such a shame considering my party and I know that we'll never be able to have as good of a time at another hotel as we did at this one last year. =/

Room Tip: Ask to be as far away from others as possible. The walls are beyond thin. We fell asleep every night...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank AllisonMDoyle
Cheryl S, Events Director at Niagara Crossing Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Thank you for staying at The Barton Hill Hotel & Spa. It saddens us to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us this time. We have met with our different departments about your concerns and can assure you that this is being addressed. We do not have a front desk manager named Kendel but we will use you comments as an indirect training reference for the rest of our team. The Barton Hill has proudly hosted same-sex committment ceremonies, getaways, celebrations, spa retreats, etc. Some of our Barton Hill Family Members are part of the gay community and we are very surprised by these allegations! Please feel free to contact me at (716)754-9070 to further discuss this. I hope that you choose to come stay with us again in the future so we may have the privilege to make it right!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
Ancaster, ON
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Charming hotel! Upon arrival, check in was extremely easy. Front desk personnel extremely friendly and helpful. You can self park or they will park it for you. Hotel decor was very warm and inviting, room very clean, very spacious and comfortable. My wife visited the spa on the Sunday morning, spa was extremly clean, Katie was very professional and great to deal with.
Breakfast morning, very nice, selection was good. Great location of hotel, very easy to get there from the border and close to shopping, etc. Check out was easy.
Very nice staff, all pleasant, always said "hello" or "good morning" when passing them in the halls, etc.
Although it was dead of winter, still nice views. Look forward to going back in the spring or summer as the Town of Lewiston looked like a very interesting place to walk around and spend some time.
Wonderful hotel!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying at The Barton Hill Hotel & Spa. We truly value your business and appreciate your kind words. We will be sure to praise our employees for such a job well done! We hope you come and stay with us again, summertime in Lewiston is quite amazing! We have numerous festivals and events going on all of the time. And the mighty Niagara River is breathtaking with full foliage as the background. Enjoy!
ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

Let me say I had a great time at this hotel , it was my 60th birthday and 4 of us decided to stay here in Lewiston and at the Barton Hotel and Spa. The place is so beautiful , when you walk in it just takes your breath away with the decor. We had booked a couple of spa services before hand but I think they overbooked for them, and we were last mintute guests, it took over 2 hours for a pedicure because they had one women doing both pedicures at the same time.The other 2 of us had massages and were very nice. The washrooms at the spa could of been a bit cleaner though. The ladies were very nice who did our service's no complaints about the people that work there. Now our room. 4th floor , good idea because walls are thin and so are the floors, which didnt really bother us because we were there to have a good time and like to laugh. We didnt notice until much later that we had no duvet covers on our guilts. Awful!! We should of called down even though it was midnight and complained but we didnt. Pillows were awful to sleep on and we didnt get enough for the 4 of us. They didnt supply shampoo and we only had a couple of towels for the 4 of us. Seeing the cost was not high I guess it was ok, but if I had to pay alot of money for those rooms in high season I would of really been upset. We had a good time and we always do no matter what but I think they should change a few things to improve this hotel. I heard the spa has only been there for a few months so im sure in time things will get better. Area is beautiful and location is as well. Nice town and will return and for what we paid will stay there again but not if I had to pay alot of money for the rooms. Decided a 4 star because the staff were so nice and the building as well,just not the rooms.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jeanniechief
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

Barton Hill Hotel and Spa is a charming and classy retreat facing the mighty Niagara River in the historic town of Lewiston, NY. The architecture of the hotel and the interior design of the rooms match the rich cultural profile of Lewiston and the beautiful nature surrounding it. The staff service is quiet, not intrusive but always available, warm, friendly and polite. The rooms are tastefully furnished, clean, allowing privacy and the feeling that you are at home. The location of the hotel gives you the opportunity of admiring the Niagara River during every season. There are a variety of restaurants just a few steps away from the hotel and many cultural events going on all year round in the town of Lewiston. Let’s not forget visiting the Falls and spending the nights in style. If you prefer shopping you can explore the nearby small boutiques, cafes, antique shops, or you can drive further down to find the designer outlets and malls. The prices are very reasonable and yet lower than other similar places. I strongly recommend Barton Hill Hotel and Spa and I am sure you would love it and visit again and again as we did.

Room Tip: Book a room with a view
Lewiston, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

As someone from the Niagara Falls/ Lewiston community, I highly recommend a stay at Barton Hill Hotel and Spa. It's where I send my relatives and business associates. You'll love the lobby and the look of the rooms. The staff is friendly and will meet all of your needs. It's in walking distance of some of the best restaurants in the area. Center Street in Lewiston offers quaint shopping. It's ideal for a getaway!
Also - I've hosted many events there with much success...definitely somewhere to consider for parties!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank LoriCaso
Southgate, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

I had read other reviews online and I have to say that most of them seem valid, however some of the truth may have been exaggarated. For my own experience, I will say I was quite pleased.
Positives- We went for New Years and got upgraded to a better room. The staff was very friendly at all times. We were told that we would not have wifi in our room but actually did. Free valet made parking no hassle. Fireplace.
Negatives- Took a very long time to get a hair dryer to my room after requesting it 3 times. Breakfast was below average.
The positives way outweighed the negatives. If I had any suggestions I would say give more variety for breakfast, it was quite bland. I will say that, although I had an awesome experience, I would not pay full price for any of these rooms. I had a Living Social deal which still put the cost at $156 per night, but I certainly would not pay full price. Overall, a fantastic quaint town with more than enough to do, and I would love to one day return.

1 Thank AmandaTomaszewski
Stewartstown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

From the moment we arrived it was clear that we were in a historical hotel. The entrance to the hotel was grand, as well as the beautiful lobby. We were lucky enough to have been upgraded to a king size room. The room had all the historical charm of the entrance. The room was equipped with a fireplace and a flat screen TV. Our only disappointment with the room was the cleaning of the shower. There was noticeable soap scum and mold around the base of the shower.

A must is the restaurant. Even though there is a very limited menu, the food is unbelievable. I had the chicken pot pie and my wife had the beef tips, both were phenomenal. Because we were there during the winter, there were few patrons; therefore making dinner very intimate. Breakfast, complimentary, was basic, but included something called "egglettes" which were absolutely delicious.

My stay was wonderful and I will definitely going back.

1 Thank Rainbowtravel64
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewiston
Queen's Landing
Seneca Niagara Resort & Casino
#8 of 50 in Niagara Falls
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,305 reviews
The Pillar and Post Inn, Spa and Conference Centre
The Pillar and Post Inn, Spa and...
#6 of 15 in Niagara-on-the-Lake
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,909 reviews
Hampton Inn Niagara Falls / Blvd
Hampton Inn Niagara Falls / Blvd
#4 of 50 in Niagara Falls

Been to Niagara Crossing Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!