After reading a lot of reviews and purchasing a groupon, my husband and I tried this hotel during part of our summer vacation to Niagara Falls and Toronto. Let me start by saying that this hotel is a decent place to stay and has charm with a good view of the Niagara river. It's not the best hotel I've ever stayed in, but it's definitely not the worst either. If you need to stay in the Lewiston area, it's a solid choice. However, I do have some reservations about returning and thought I should list a few of them.
- We stayed on the 4th floor to help minimize the noise that some of the previous reviews mentioned. The only problem with that was the walls are so thin and there's way too much space under the doors, so you can hear everything on your floor.
- For the hotel to be recently built (I think in 2005/2006?) there were tons of issues with the finishings and furnishings. For example, gaps in the crown molding that weren't caulked, shoddy plaster work and repair work on the ceilings, the four-poster bed railings weren't assembled properly, damaged door frames that weren't replaced. This may sound trivial, but when there's so many things that were done improperly its hard to overlook them all.
- The young staff - they're actually a complement to the hotel. Each one I interacted with seemed very courteous and responsible. One even went the extra mile to make me happy after some things couldn't be taken care of immediately. Whoever is training them is doing a great job. The only thing that could make them better is experience - which they'll get if they continue working there.
Overall, I probably wouldn't stay here again mostly because the Lewiston area is a great one-time thing. If you need a solid place to sleep, this is acceptable, but should not be touted as luxury. This place definitely has the potential to be really great, but just needs a little TLC (or a really good hotelier). If the points I listed above don't bother you, you'll love the property and should go for it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Niagara Crossing Hotel & Spa is the Niagara Region's premier destination, combining the charm and comfort of a historic country inn with the service and amenities of a luxury hotel. Guests at the Niagara Crossing will find luxurious accommodations and exceptional personal service, in a serene location perfectly suited for a romantic getaway or a business retreat. All of our elegantly appointed guest rooms and suites are decorated with an historic flair to reflect the heritage of the area, and are also equipped with the most contemporary amenities including fireplaces, flat-panel high-definition televisions, and I-Pod docking stations. Dating as far back as the 1600's, Lewiston and the Niagara Frontier have been the gateway to adventure and commerce along the Great Lakes, and today the Barton Hill Hotel & Spa is known as the premier luxury boutique hotel of the Niagara Region. In addition to stunning rooms and an attentive staff, Niagara Crossing's central location in the charming historic village of Lewiston allows guests to enjoy easy access to some of the area's most exciting attractions and events. Whether you are in the area to enjoy the natural beauty, shoot the Class 5 rapids of the Niagara River Gorge, traveling for business, or just looking to get away from the everyday, you will always find a warm welcome. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Orbitz, Priceline, Agoda and HotelQuickly so you can book your Niagara Crossing Hotel and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Barton Hill Hotel Lewiston
- The Barton Hill Hotel And Spa