“Best Girls Weekend on Record”

Niagara Crossing Hotel and Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lewiston
Los Angeles, California
“Best Girls Weekend on Record”
Reviewed September 2, 2011

Barton Hill turned out to be the best girls weekend getaway.... there were four of us and we try to get together at least three times a year. We live in different states and so this get together is important. Our friend from Toronto picked the place out and it was a really delightful. We had a couple of different kinds of rooms.... one was a double queen room and it was spaciuos and tasteful with a fireplace. I shared with my sister and we had a Riverview room with a great view and a patio . The furnishing were refreshing and original. The staff was fun and very interested in us making sure we had what we needed... and they even helped us plan our local itinerary.... they hand picked where to shop and some really great restaurants ( dont miss the Brickyard for casual and Carmelos for elegant) . They help us plan our day trip to the wine country (that was huge fun). We also did the spa which while small and casual, services were excellent ... 2 of us had facials and 2 massages and all of us had pedicures ...each service was just great.

The best part was that it was really afordable... you get a great deal for your money and breakfast was served each day (wonderful quiches and home baked croissant ) . The rate even included valet parking. The town is pretty and easy to navigate and we also took in a show at the performing arts center which was an easy walk from the Hotel. We are coming back in the winter with plans to shop and sit by the wonderful fireplaces in the beautiful lobby and hit the spa again.

Room Tip: prefer the waterview rooms... I heard them offer a complimentary upgrade to a guest but rate is so...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
clarence, NY
Reviewed September 1, 2011

Full discloser....I grew up in Lewiston and love the village and the area. The one thing missing until a few years ago was a nice hotel. There are a few motels and b & b's ..but not until the Barton Hill is there a luxurious place to enjoy this historical town, just north of Niagara Falls, NY.
The view is the Niagara River and Canada, just across. The rooms are well appointed. Nice beds, decent bathrooms....historial looking furnishings, pictures, etc. They captured the quaintness of the town in the decor. There is also a spa in the hotel, which we did not use. Breakfast is included in the room rate. I believe dinner is served on the weekends...but there are so many great restaurants in Lewiston....you're better off walking out the door ...heading on foot ..and exploring the town. That is what we loved the most. We parked our car and never had to drive in Lewiston again for our one night stay. We stayed to enjoy the Lewiston Jazz Festival, which is held every year at the end of August. That festival is worth a trip. Fantastic!
Another summer hilight in Lewiston is Artpark. The Tuesday free concerts are the biggest attraction- groups like ZZ Top, Lynard Skynard, America...all big name acts.
Restaurants suggestions in Lewiston - Carmelo's, Macri's, Casa Antica , Steelhead Pub, Waterstreet landing...and check out the famous Trusello's pizza and Hibbard's custard.
It's a nice, picturesque town not far from the Falls. Youngstown is just north and a great village to walk through while visiting WNY.

Room Tip: Call the hotel, don't book online.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed August 30, 2011

This is a "good from far, far from good" hotel. It is really rough around the edges and for what they charge for a room per night, shouldn't be. Lewiston is a nice place to visit for one, maybe two days but you'd be better off making a day trip and not paying the outlandish per night rate for this place.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank mcs2320
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed August 29, 2011

Beds, linens, and pillows were fine, although bathroom linens were slim and sad. So many things were not up to par... room was dark and dreary, bathroom not very clean, no needed amenities, no coffee maker, no ice, no bar, no drink machine, no bar or restaurant. No one at door to help with parking or luggage. Self-park was insufficient, unpaved, with deep, muddy rutts. No handicapped parking. Not enough food or beverage for B-fast, did not replenish. The employees had to struggle to help make guest complaints smoothed over. Upper management is not aware or does not care here??? Something is very wrong!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
rochester, ny
Reviewed August 28, 2011

I had hesitated before making a reservation due to some -reviews. But the most recent seemed + so I went ahead. Huge Mistake. We were there on Aug. 23 and it was nothing like their website. Definitely false advertising. I thought the place was closed when we got there as there was no one in the lobby. Eventually someone appeared and checked us in. Our room was large but the shower was moldy and pillows were stained. Lacked amenities including the promised comfy robes. Not only wasn't there an ice bucket there wasn't an ice machine. As for the cocktails and fine dining forget it. That doesn't exist anymore. The walls are thin enough to hear everything your neighbors are doing. If this is somebody's idea of luxury I'd rather go camping!

Room Tip: Save your money. go someplace else.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank abbyr0se
Ohio
Reviewed August 26, 2011

I have a hard time believing I stayed at the same hotel as those who wrote the glowing reports. They must have been paid to write them. This place was totally misleading in its advertising. Where was the valet parking - in fact, where was the parking period? There was a gravel lot next to the place which held about 20 cars, parked in a rather helter-skelter fashion. The other lot was down the hill by way of wooden steps - a rather long trek for someone who doesn't walk well or who is otherwise handicapped. The staff? Most looked about 19 years old, and they were far and few between. I believe they served as receptionists, maintenance, housekeeping and anyone else usually staffed at a normal hotel. Our "room with a village view" had the view of the wall of a supposed extension to the main hotel, which was allegedly "under construction". It looked rather as "abandoned in mid-construction". This particular room was downright creepy. Aside from the view of the wall and its accompanying fire escape, there was the enormous bathroom , complete with a writing desk and perhaps two 25-watt bulbs. When we complained, the all-purpose, young person in charge seemed puzzled and reluctantly changed our room. The new room was also very generous in size, relatively clean (I checked for bedbugs and found none), and also had a wall phone in the bathroom, conveniently located next to the toilet. (?!?!?!). We actually did have four windows, but we were told this room was substantially more money, which my husband had made clear that he was not paying. Speaking of creepy, the spa was also nowhere I wanted to be. If the hotel and spa had been billed as haunted, I would not have been surprised at the atmosphere and maybe embraced it. But this hotel was supposed to be luxurious....well, not by my expectations of luxury. Our two night stay at this place ended on a troubling note as well. There were a series of severe thunderstorms in the area. My husband and I were awakened about 10:00 PM by the hotel fire alarm. We quickly left the room and made it to the first floor (we were on the third) via the stairs nearest our room. BTW - there was no notice on the door explaining where to exit in such a case - I had investigated this myself earlier to be sure I knew the way in case something happenend. The exit stairway was part of the alleged new construction area at the rear of the building. As we made it down the stairs, we had water dripping on us from above - obviously a leak or two in the new construction. When arriving at the desk area, we were told "false alarm" - that water had flooded the fourth floor and set off the alarm. We waited for the arrival of a fire truck or someone who seemed to be in charge of operations. After about 1/2 hour, another adolescent-type arrived in a pickup truck. We thought she was a guest arriving late, but we soon realized she was the one in charge of the building. A few hushed words were spoken (we heard "water", "flood", "storm", etc.). Then she left. My husband and I reluctantly went back to our room as soon as someone figured out how to turn the alarm and flashing lights off. The other guests? Well, I guess they trusted the judgement of the "help" and had either chosen not to leave their rooms, deciding it must be a false alarm, or left their rooms, believed everything was under control, and returned to their rooms.
This has taken a long time to write, but I feel it is necessary to say that this is possibly the worst place I have ever stayed under the guise of "luxury". It was a dump, plain and simple, and I'm sure will be closed for some reason in the near future. And did I forget to mention the breakfast?....ugh! We ate out both mornings.
Save your money or patronize one of the other inns or motels in the area, which is lovely and quaint. This place was a nightmare.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank happee1
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed August 25, 2011

My mother and I enjoyed a girls' weekend in Lewiston, and loved our stay here. We stayed 2 nights, and also enjoyed spa treatments. The spa was well-appointed, the treatments relaxing, and the staff helpful and professional. Although there were 2 weddings receptions in full swing on Saturday night, we were not disturbed at all. The room was very large and beautifully furnished. Overall, the hotel was more than we expected, especially for the price. I would not hesitate to stay here again, and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewiston
Queen's Landing
Seneca Niagara Resort & Casino
#8 of 50 in Niagara Falls
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,322 reviews
The Pillar and Post Inn, Spa and Conference Centre
The Pillar and Post Inn, Spa and...
#6 of 15 in Niagara-on-the-Lake
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,932 reviews
Hampton Inn Niagara Falls / Blvd
Hampton Inn Niagara Falls / Blvd
#5 of 50 in Niagara Falls

Been to Niagara Crossing Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!