“POOR SERVICE very unfriendly staff”

Niagara Crossing Hotel and Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lewiston
“POOR SERVICE very unfriendly staff”
Reviewed August 3, 2011

The front desk was extremely unfriendly. Girl working with short dirty blonde hair was very rude. Also staff did not stand and greet us when we arrived and acted annoyed when we were inquiring about the hotel's history. The owners are VERY uppity and made us uncomfortable. I noticed that the female owner, Diane, was out and out mean to employees and cold to us. I would NEVER stay here.

• Stayed August 2011
3 Thank srj459

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
Brampton, Canada
Reviewed August 3, 2011

Stayed here using one of the deal websites. Paid $99, which was appropriate!

- well kept
- our room wasn't as beautiful as the pictures attached but it was simple and clean (all white theme with very little on the walls or decor)
- upon entering the room, we had birds singing to us (using a fancy alarm clock function) - it was very spa like!
-unfortunately, we had a horrible view of a side construction/dirt hole parking lot (boo!)
-continental breakfast was simple (cereal, toast, cookies, yoghurt, tea, coffee)
-front desk staff were polite but not overly helpful. We needed to keep asking them questions as to where breakfast was, where to find ice (you need to ask them to get it for you, not overly convenient), where the dining room was, where to park, etc.. We felt as though we were being annoying, yet, we didn't get enough information at check in.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank love2travl2011
Rochester, NY
Reviewed August 3, 2011

We stayed one night at the Barton Hill with a livingsocial.com voucher. The hotel is in a great location and we enjoyed a sunset walk along the river. However, this is an odd hotel. First of all, no one answered the phone for at least 4 hours when I tried to make a reservation, and then no one ever returned the phone message I was instructed to leave. When I did finally reach someone there the next day, I was immediately offered an upgraded room for an additional $60.
Although our room was nice, the experience was definitely "off". Check-in is at 4PM, with no corresponding late check-out. The staff, while nice enough, do not extend themselves in anyway to make guests feel welcome. There was only one tiny sliver of soap in the bathroom and no glasses or bathmat. We never did figure out how to operate the AC, and the coffee maker was difficult to operate and made lousy coffee. The worst thing though was the view from our 4th floor room -- of an overflowing dumpster with garbage strewn around it! When I mentioned this to the receptionist on my quest to get another sliver of soap for the shower, she said for the price we paid, we couldn't expect a better room location, not a smart thing to say to insure repeat business! And, what's wrong with the management to allow its property to look like a third-world country?
The hotel also added $15 to our bill for a "fee". The receptionist couldn't tell me what this amount was for. There are no ice machines, newspapers, internet connection (that I could tell), valets for the valet parking, swimming pool, fitness facility, or any other niceties. The $15 charge was removed from the bill when I questioned it, as it was for another guest whose conversation we overheard. Also, my voucher included a $25 spa credit that was never mentioned or offered.
All in all, this is a strange place with a strange atmosphere. Although the staff was courteous, attention to detail and customer service were definitely lacking. These deficiencies keep the property from being the kind of place I'd want to return to.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank 001362
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed August 3, 2011

This hotel takes 1st, 2nd and 3rd place as far as worst hotels I have ever stayed in.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank redzone_11
Reviewed August 2, 2011

My husband and I recently stayed at the Barton Hill Hotel. Naturally when booking a new hotel, you want to check out all the different reviews on it. I want to know what I'm paying for. I was skeptical when I saw the sorts of complaints tripadvisor had; not knowing where to park, offered valet parking --but no valet, breakfast wasn't what they said it would be, Not knowing where to go when you check in. All of these fairly simple things, so I was unsure what to expect when it came to the more important things, such as my room itself.
Everyone I spoke to on the phone was very helpful and accomidating when I was booking the reservation. I did have a young lady once, who seemed to be new unsure of a question I had regarding my room, but even so she asked me to hold and found the information I was looking for. That was a plus in my eyes, she didn't just tell me she had no idea and make me guess.
Once arriving at the Barton Hill, check-in went seemingly quick and easy. The Staff was very friendly and when I asked about parking, they offered valet as well as telling us 2 different options on where to park. (Why did anyone have a hard time with this before?).
When we got into our room, it was beautiful. Better then I expected from the pictures. It really had that historic feel. The only problem we ran into was how to work the air conditioning, which a young man from the front desk came up and showed us how it worked.
The bed was incredibly comfortable as well. My husband, who has a bad back wanted to take it home with us. It's hard to find a comfortable bed sometimes.
We headed down to breakfast, hoping to not be disappointed, and we weren't. The pastries were delicious. They even had eggs, which I didn't expect from a contintental breakfast. We took our plates outside and enjoyed the view of the river while we ate. The whole area is gorgeous.
The hotel is right at the end of everything. You just walk down the street and hit every store, every restaurant. It's the perfect little town.
We quite enjoyed our stay. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed July 2011
3 Thank Motherhood45
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 2, 2011

The hotel itself was gorgeous, with great scenery, wonderful views, and beautifully decorated rooms. It was like walking into a little slice of Europe. The staff was thoughtful about little things, like setting the radio to play a soothing 'woodland bird' background noise setting so when you walked into your room, not only was it pretty, it sounded like you were in a forest. The beds were very comfortable, and my fiance and I are normally very picky about hotel room pillows too.

The staff was more than helpful. My fiance and I got engaged on this trip, and they bent over backwards to be kind and make sure we had a great time. Ask for more towels, and the guy at the front desk is up in less than 5 minutes with an armload of them. Valet parking? Sure, and they'll do it for free. We were treated with smiles and kindness only the whole time.

This is a great, romantic getaway that is close to Niagara Falls.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Welland, Canada
Reviewed August 1, 2011

I heard of this wonderful hotel and spa through a local promotion. I had been trying to think of and plan the perfect day/night for my proposal to my fiance. I contact the hotel and spoke with Beau and explained to him my intentions and what I was wanting to do. Beau was absolutely fantastic from the start going over and above every step of the way to ensure we would have a night to remember :) He took care of us and ensured his staff were all on board and timing was essential! We enjoyed a whole day in Lewiston and took in some nice relaxation time with a couple massage, followed by a romantic dinner by fire place in our room that was all set up without my fiance knowing anything was going on. Despite having a University reunion and wedding the same day, Beau and the hotel staff went over and above to accomodate us. The staff even asked later in the evening how things went and all applauded when they found out the answer was "yes". It's no wonder the answer was yes, with all the effort and arrangments put forth by the staff, how could she have said no???
I highly recommend visiting and staying at this resort! I know we will be back to visit in the near future and are hoping to have our engagement photos taken there.
Visitor from North of the Border!! :)

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TomFerguson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewiston
South Landing Inn
South Landing Inn
#1 of 1 in Queenston
Sheraton At The Falls
Sheraton At The Falls
#4 of 51 in Niagara Falls
Ramada Niagara Falls by the River
Hilton Garden Inn Niagara-on-the-Lake
Hilton Garden Inn Niagara-on-the...
#8 of 15 in Niagara-on-the-Lake
River Rapids Inn
River Rapids Inn
#37 of 129 in Niagara Falls
Comfort Inn The Pointe
Comfort Inn The Pointe
#3 of 51 in Niagara Falls

Been to Niagara Crossing Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!