“Redemption!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Horned Dorset Inn

The Horned Dorset Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
The Horned Dorset Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
New York
“Redemption!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

After a poor showing last year at this fine establishment, the management, chef,and staff have certainly returned to the high standards we came to know & love in the past. We thoroughly enjoyed the daily tasting menu. Service was friendly without being obtrusive. We look forward to their continued level of excellence.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank trout131

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Gulfport, Florida
“It's a must visit at least once.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

We have been to the Horned Dorset now four times, each with a different experience. The setting of the restaurant is quaint, refined, and yet charming. The service, all male waiters are very cordial, polite, and very attentive. There is one room that has windows overlooking the garen & another that is the library with stained glass windows. We ordered the escargot, served with a green sauce rather than the traditional lemon & butter. We also had a crab, leek & corn bisque soup, both were very tasty. They also gave us a wonderful cheese souffle' with crackers in a small crock that was to die for. Our meals came with a small side salad that was very nice, a little bit of tomatoes, lettuce, peppers, carrots, & cucumbers with a mild italian dressing. My husband ordered the pork belly & tenderloin. When he got it, it was beef tenderloin and assumed it was his mistake. He enjoyed the beef tenderloin, but when he asked the server about the pork he was informed that he received the wrong menu item. It was his fault for not saying something, the server offered to charge us for the lessor meal, but our bill did not reflect the reduced price. I ordered the seafood bouillabaisse with a saffron sauce. It was loaded with shrimp, lobster, scallops, & fish. There was an abundance of seafood, but the server poured an exorbitant amount of it into my bowl & it was very overpowering for me as I am not a huge fan of the saffron.
There was an artist exhibit upstairs with wine and hors d'oeuvres along with a viewing of artwork, an added special to the evening.
This is a place one must visit at least once, just for the ambiance and service. Menu items are a little pricey. Since we have been there a few times, probaly won't make the 2 hr trip again.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank natnpr
Little Falls, NY
“Heavenly from start to finish.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

Kingsley was my art teacher and his wife Roberta was my
Music teacher while I was in elementary school in Leonardsville. Who would have thought that their efforts to bring fine elegant European dining to a tiny town in central New York State would still be remaining 36 years later. Their son and his wife have added their own signature to the restaurant but gave kept the charm and suburb service.

Their signature hot cheese soufflé is now served with homemade crackers. The menu is a little more extensive than years ago which made it harder to select from. My sister and I started with a beet salad and then selected a lobster special. I won't even try to describe it but will say we were not disappointed. My husband began with an elegantly served French onion soup followed by the beef tips. This was another awesome selection.
What is nice about the meals here is the portion sizes. You are not served so much that you don't have room to try a dessert. The orange mascarpone dish my husband had was just delightful.
Our night out wasn't cheap at $260 for the 3 of us but it is the perfect spot for a special night out. It is also nice to support something so special in such a tiny town. They do support the community which is a nice touch.

I do need to mention that my husband and I were married here at the Horned Dorset back in December 1985. The restaurant didn't do many weddings then but since I was a "local girl" they closed down for us. The rooms were decorated for the holidays with trees and poinsettias so all I had to do was show up. If you are thinking of a wedding here don't hesitate. Their summer garden would be a pretty setting,too.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Syracuse, New York
“Country elegance and refinement”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

This was a celebratory birthday dinner at a charming country inn that has gone through some changes but retains an excellent standard of food preparation and service. The atmosphere is romantic with enormous Palladian style windows giving way to a tranquil garden view. Fresh wild flowers and hurricane candles enhance the ambiance. Architectural salvage has been used to great effect in the restaurant building , including a vast stone fire surround as a focal point. The menu is diverse and offers some vegetarian dishes,wonderful garden-fresh vegetables and salads. But the real winner has always been the duck. Rack of lamb is also terrific.Entrees appear with wonderful fresh vegetable garnishes, cooked to perfection and sauced lightly to enhance the quality of the main. A lemon tart was a fabulous ending, with a perfect balance of sweet and tart flavors.

• Visited July 2013
East Brunswick, New Jersey
“Surprising”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

This was a wonderful meal in a small inn in upstate NY, a place we didn't think was likely to exist. It sits across from a junk yard. The pre appetizer was an amazing cheese soufflé. Although my octopus was on the tough side, the taste was great. Everyone enjoyed their food. The staff was especially attentive to my elderly mother.

• Visited July 2013