“Gilbert Lake State Park Cabin”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Laurens
Gilbert Lake State Park
NY
“Gilbert Lake State Park Cabin”
Reviewed July 1, 2012

Great Family Park. Can't wait to return. Rented Cabin 15. Everything at the park was in walking distance.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank rhastarosie

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
middlefield
Reviewed April 19, 2012

I went for a walk today with a friend it was a mess could n.ot walk half of the trail's

Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank MiddlefieldNatalie2

Travelers are raving about these Laurens hotels

Bohemia, New York, USA
Reviewed September 9, 2011

My partner and I stayed at Gilbert Lake with our dog for 5 days in the first week of June and enjoyed it so much we are going back in a few weeks. The whole point of our trip was to get to a quiet place where we could relax, read and unplug from society for a while, without having to resort to tents. We were interested in a spot that offered some hiking and were satisfied with the trails Gilbert Lake offered, however an advanced hiker may not have been as satisfied as we were. Since we were just looking for a quiet place to do some hiking and reading in a relaxing environment Gilbert Lake was perfect, families with small children may find themselves wanting for activities. The cabin was clean and basically what we expected, which is to say rustic, no heat or hot water. The space between the cabins was sufficient for my tastes. Because the park was almost totally unoccupied when we went I cannot speak to the noise level of neighbors, however I can imagine that sounds would travel well between the cabins especially at night. Overall, our experience at Gilbert Lake was a very positive one and as I said, we are currently planning a return trip.

Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Timmp123
Birmingham, MI
Reviewed July 23, 2011

The cabins were charming, stone fireplace, log furniture, all original. These were probably built in the 1930's, historic, but not updated. The potty was added later on the screened in porch. you could here other visitors using there potty all night. Neighbors were loud too. It is a lovely park for the history, but an update is needed. The hike is not very good.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Ginger759
The Villages, Florida
Reviewed September 9, 2010

My girlfriend and I, along with our beagle Bob, spent the Labor Day Weekend in Cabin #4 at Gilbert Lake State Park in Laurens, NY (near Oneonta and not far from Cooperstown). We wanted to do something this year with the dog, as we don't like to put him in the kennel too often, and found a cabin available on the state park reservation system website. It was expensive for what you get - two nights totaled nearly $200.00. Check-in is 3:00PM, and you are allowed to check-in early if your assigned cabin has been vacated, but we arrived at noon and were told the person vacating the cabin had just departed (late) and we couldn't get in until 3:00. It was then that we noticed that we had left our most important bag at home, so we had few clothes and no basic toiletries with us. So we went to Wal Mart, about 15 miles away in Oneonta, and picked up what we needed. When we returned, we were able to get into our cabin. The cabins are spartan, with cold running water only, refrig, stove, fireplace (the only source of heat), one bedroom with twin beds, a living room with a double bed, a tiny kitchen, screened porch, and a flush toilet off the porch (covered, but still outside, so sitting on the throne can be a cold experience). But all in all, much more pleasant than camping. The weekend was downright windy and chilly, so we bought some firewood at the camp office. We needed a fire both evenings - otherwise we would have been very uncomfortable. During the day we hiked on the beautiful trails at this state park. We took the longest loop, about five miles, to Twin Fawn Pond and Ice Pond, and really enjoyed it. There are several other trails here, and all are easy to navigate. Very popular with families with young children. The double bed was a long way from our king size Tempurpedic at home, especially when the dog decided to join us. Not the most comfortable two nights, but we got through it. We brought our own gas grill, which made cooking fairly easy. I'd say we enjoyed ourselves, but probably won't do this cabin experience again. There are other, more interesting state parks available, and I think we'll do one of those next time. But if you are looking for a pretty place, and enjoy solitude, this is the place for you.

Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
6 Thank collie1228
utica New York, USA
Reviewed June 22, 2010

We have been renting a cabin at this lake for 20 years, It is always relaxing and clean. I have tented here also and do not reccommend it unless you are very social and enjoy being right on top of your neighbors. The cabins athough rustic are wonderful and always a good time, plenty of privacy here and comfortable. This is a great vacation for young children, older children may find there is not much to do nothing is close by. we usually spend one day in cooperstown and the rest at the beach.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
5 Thank gooses814
NY
Reviewed June 8, 2010

This Memorial Day weekend trip was made in conjunction with a couple other families from my children's school. Two of us stayed in the cabin colony, the other in a pull-behind camper in the Hilltop camping area. As background info, we enjoy both cabin and tent camping but we NEED there to be some degree of privacy. We have 2 acres at home and don't go camping so we can be piled on top of other people. I'm slightly neurotic about this and do a lot of campground research online, use the "best in camping" books, and often end up making several calls to the park asking lots of questions prior to booking.

We booked a cabin for this trip because my mother was supposed to join us (couldn't, unfortunately, due to emergency surgery) and she was worried it would get cold at night. We pulled up and I couldn't believe it - it was BEAUTIFUL! It was a 6-person cabin with 2 bedrooms, a kitchen with full size frig and little stove, a living room with heating stove and dining table, a screened porch, and an enclosed toilet. My youngest (4 years old) was very confused and kept saying "I thought we were going camping." Each cabin has its own decent-sized yard with fire ring, barbecue, and picnic table. Many of them are set back from the road, and there are a lot of trees and privacy shrubs. From the cabin colony, it was also a super quick 5-10 minute walk to the beach area, boat rental area, and playground area (all of which, BTW, were HUGE hits with all of the children). Our cabin was also historically renovated and the furniture was lovely.

I ventured down to the regular campsites to check out the area for possible future stays. I was MORTIFIED. The sites were SO close together I couldn't believe it. There were no privacy hedges, the roads through the loops were super narrow, fire rings were literally just a few feet off from the road, chairs were set up all along the roadside (because the sites were so small and that's were the fire pits were). At one site, someone even had living room furniture sitting in their circle by the road - literally, an upholstered sitting chair and a loveseat. Passing through the area caused my entire body to tense up and filled me with anxiety. When my husband saw it later, he said "yah, if we came here to camp, we'd just drive right through and go back home". To make it even worse, it was a LONG walk to the beach area. From Hilltop, it was probably a 20 minute walk and from the other camping area, it must take at least an hour so you'd likely need to drive over.

I think the camping area of this park might appeal to those who live in a city and just don't get out of it much or those who are really into "community camping", but for the rest of us, this park doesn't offer a quality camping experience at all. I just found it bizarre.

The cabins, however, I would return to in a heartbeat. Just note that staying in a cabin here can't really be considered camping. It's certainly not roughing it. We still cooked all of food out on the fire ring because that's what we like to do when we camp (it's an important part of the experience for us), but you could cook everything inside on the stove if you wanted to. They also have very nice trails that were peaceful to walk on and pretty well maintained. We had our dog with us and it was nice taking him out on the trails.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
9 Thank CottageSpirit

Been to Gilbert Lake State Park? Share your experiences!