“Average Hotel”

Super 8 Latham/Albany Troy Area
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Latham
Reviewed September 9, 2009

This is an average Super 8 and one of the reasonable price during the horse-racing season in Saratoga Spring. Room is okay with good TV and okay breakfast. Hotel is closed to the highway and could be noisy if the window is opened.

Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank 3T

Reviewed August 25, 2009

This is the place to stay if you like being treated poorly!!!

Their customer service was the worst I had experienced while on a 2 week trip across to the east coast, Not only did he want to charge more then the posted price he would NOT accept a rooming coupon that ALL other hotels had accepted on our journey! (he claimed that his hotel was ALMOST full - therefore did not need to honour the coupon!)

I would have paid the full price if I had been treated with respect and courtousy with out question...... I would not give this hotel my money if it was the last place to stay in the entire state.

I ended up going to 2 other hotels close by - both of which had many customers come in from being treated poorly by the SUPER 8 .... these other hotels claimed Super 8 is always the last hotel to fill due to their obvisous lack of customer service skills!

The third I went to had only 1 room left and was more then happy to take my rooming coupon and not only honour it but offer a complimentary breakfast too!

I called Super 8 head office and they too did NOTHING but to say Sorry you were treated that way and they would have the property that I had the issue with contact me directly - FUNNY that never happened either!

I will never stay at a Super 8 again, just knowing they dont have any pride of ownership and choose not to up keep a high level of customer service!

1  Thank CambridgeAngelaG
Reviewed May 1, 2009

I get really tired of hearing people whining about Super 8s (eg. raven0729 here, other customers at the desk) - my room here with a double bed was $55/night, after tax. What is it appropriate to compare this to? A five-star hotel or a hostel?

I realise the comparison is slightly flawed because this Super 8 is off the beaten track, and I've only stayed at a hostel in a big city, but you might pay $35/night for a hostel where you have to share a room with five other people, make your own bed, share a bathroom and so on.

So if you are a lone traveller, Super 8s compare pretty favourably, what with having a door of your own for only $20/night more. If you are a couple, a Super 8 is cheaper than a youth hostel. So for pity's sake, bear this in mind when evaluating it!

Even in its own right, this is a fine establishment though:

I stayed 6 nights at this Super 8 in Latham, Albany while doing some research in Albany. The two chaps at the front-desk in the day were particularly friendly - when the charger for my laptop broke, they kindly let me use their computers to order a replacement. No, you can't expect this if you are unlucky enough to lose the use of your laptop, but the point I'm trying to make is that they were totally friendly, helpful and willing to go the extra mile.

The room was fine, with a very large TV. The desk was a good size, there was free stationery, a lamp and free wireless internet, which was very fast - I actually downloaded some things at 1Mb/s.

The bed was clean, nicely made & very comfortable. The bathroom was always immaculately cleaned, with new complimentary toiletries and towels put out every day. Minor niggles were that I hit my head on the hanging rail, because I am tall and the power socket is just underneath it, that you can't turn on the bedside light without having the light by the front door on, and somehow the smell of cigarette smoking (occasionally) permeated into my non-smoking room.

The complimentary breakfast was OK - there was coffee, orange juice, cereal (corn flakes & muesli, although they ran out of this before I left) Danish pastries, bagels and sometimes, bread for toasting.

Location: If you don't have a car, perhaps give it a miss. On the other hand if you do, it's right by the freeway intersection so you can get to downtown Albany (and presumably other places) very easily.

If you don't have a car, the number 29 bus is your friend. *It only runs on weekdays though.* The last one from the Greyhound Terminal leaves at 6:30pm. It takes you to the Latham Circle Mall, and then you have a difficult walk to the motel - this is because there is no proper side-walk & you have to cross the interstate junction, which has no traffic lights. A taxi to down-town Albany is $20.

The best bar nearby is Ziggy's, which is a fifteen minute walk. The Roman Pub is not remotely pub-like. There's a Subway the other side of a parking lot and some sort of diner, equally nearby. There's a Target round the back, which has a small supermarket section. There's a Hannaford and loads of stores in the Latham Farms Shopping Centre, but this is the other side of the interstate.

Don't book through an intermediary! Go to http://www.super8.com/Super8/control/home and book there. I overheard one chap whose intermediary had booked him a smoking room, when he would have preferred a non-smoking one.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled solo
4  Thank YoungPennybags
Reviewed April 20, 2009

Considering this is one of the least expensive hotels in the greater Albany NY area, this is a very good value. Check-in was fast and efficient, the clerk was not particularly friendly but polite. (It's New York state!) My room was on the first floor (basically basement level with a window at ground level with the parking lot.), but I did not feel unsafe. Quiet area with no loonies wandering around. The carpets were quite new, and there was a full desk, large modern TV with full standard cable of 70+ channels, micro, and fridge. Mind you, this was their least expensive room! Internet connectivity was fast and excellent! Bathroom was reasonable-sized and had good water pressure and hot water. Everything was very clean and modern. The linens and bedding were not luxurious but adequate and clean. The bed itself was worrisome at first, as the mattress seemed very bouncy and flimsy, but I was pleasantly surprised to have been very comfortable and I slept well. My back was aching from the drive, but it felt fine when I woke up the next day! There is virtually no sound insulation on the front door, so you can hear every single thing in the hall, so if you are there on a busy night or are a light sleeper, it could be rough. Breakfast was minimal, but you can get a cup of coffee or cocoa, a bowl of cereal, a donut, and a piece of fruit for the road. The property shares a parking lot with a Friendly's restaurant, so if you want a nice hot breakfast or a burger and a sundae at night, you are good to go. Not fancy, but hey, it is a Super 8, and it works!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank lonzaman
Reviewed January 27, 2009

Let me preface this review by saying we never actually got to stay at the hotel - so I am describing here my experience with the front desk staff.

In December our area was hit by an ice storm - and with the realization that we were going to be without power for several days we decided to book a local hotel in an area that still had power. I contacted the Super 8 and was informed they still had power, so I booked a room there for two nights.

When we arrived at the hotel we were informed that area had just lost power within the last hour - so obviously we could no longer stay there. The front desk staff were very helpful - giving no hassle at all about the cancellation policy in light of the unique circumstances - so we didn't have to worry about being charged for one night's stay. They also gave suggestions of other hotels we could still try that might have room availability.

Everything ended up working out OK - and I just want to recognize the staff of the Super 8 in Latham for being very helpful on what was a trying day for all of us I'm sure..

• Check in / front desk
1  Thank MK-1999
Reviewed May 18, 2008

Dirty, dated, rank musty smell, noisy, poor lighting, shady people hanging around outside, did not feel safe, NOT worth the room rate. $39 a night would be too much to pay for these accomodations. Room so skeevy, I slept in my clothes on top of the bed. YUCK YUCK YUCK YUCK....AVOID.... Spend your dollars elsewhere.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank raven0729
Reviewed May 8, 2008

I walked in after getting off a late flight into Albany and got a good rate for a room here with one of those coupon books. The woman on the front desk was polite and courteous even at midnight and I got a clean and decent room that suited my purposes for an overnight stay.

Stayed: May 2008
1  Thank jessamyn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Latham
Microtel Inn by Wyndham Albany Airport
Quality Inn & Suites Albany Airport
La Quinta Inn & Suites Latham Albany Airport
TownePlace Suites Latham Albany Airport
The Century House, an Ascend Collection Hotel
Comfort Inn Latham/Albany North

Been to Super 8 Latham/Albany Troy Area? Share your experiences!