“Airport Runway 300 yards”

Residence Inn Albany Airport
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Latham
Reviewed October 22, 2010

Complimentary earplugs don't change the fact that this hotel sits about 300 yards from the runway at Albany Airport. When the wind is right the planes dip over the hotel beginning about 6 a.m. They don't have enough parking for the number of rooms; arriving late on a Friday the desk clerk told me to park in handicapped parking even though the sign says the law will be enforced. I called the front desk because I smelled natural gas in my room near the furnace - the desk clerk told me maintenance had left for the day and no one could help me until the next morning. A possible gas leak!! Really?? They gave me keys to another room only after I spoke to the manager. The pictures on their website show a fireplace in the room. It's an artificial electric projection, not a fireplace. It's ridiculous and really cheesy. This place is an embarassment to the Marriott Residence Inn brand but they still definitely charge Residence Inn prices.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business

Reviewed October 8, 2010

We stayed in a presidential suite and it was just perfect! My husband and I had the loft to ourselves which included a queen bed, bathroom and a tv. Downstairs we had a full kitchen, living room and dining room. There was also a bathroom, and our daughter's favorite part was the murphy bed. We had two pack and plays and the murphy bed set up at night, and we could still manuever comfortably. This was the best way to stay with a large family especially with young children.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 25, 2010

If you like eating pretty much the same thing every morning and evening....this place is for you. The mattresses were very hard and I swear I could feel the springs in my back. The airplanes are so loud overhead that Marriott supplies ear plugs ! What I found very tacky were the tip trays next to the coffee machines....the buffett line....and of course the bar (beer and wine are included with lodging fees).

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed August 9, 2010

We have stayed at this hotel many times when we visit our family who are in the USMC; we reserve weeks ahead and receive a written confirmation each time. This past Thursday, Aug 5, 2010, we arrived after a 7 hour trip from outside Toronto with confirmation in hand to be greeted by, "We have no room for you." It didn't matter that they confirmed our stay; a large party staying there (so they said) decided to stay and they can't "put them out" so they do not honour reservations. They were going to send us to the Holiday Inn - a room, not the suite that we need - but basically it was "too bad for us" - and they couldn't have cared less. We have a huge connection in the USMC, the NY State Troopers, a large Ontario Police Service, the Masonic Lodges and Shriners and many family & friends on both sides of the border. Never will we trust a reservation at the Marriott again nor will we ever stay there either. The family in the USMC rallied and found us another gorgeous hotel, The Indigo, where we were treated like royalty and given a luxurious suite for less money. Look out, if you think that the Marriott Hotels honour reservations...if someone decides to stay, then the confirmed reservation isn't worth the paper it is printed on.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PEMOshawa
Reviewed September 3, 2009

My overall impression of this Residence Inn is really good. The frontdesk person was extremely nice polite and very helpful. They actually have a small workout facility on-site and also offer free membership for the length of your stay to a full gym a few miles down the road. Lots of restaurants, shopping,etc nearby. I had a a single room and it was HUGE! Large vanity area, three closets, queen bed, flatscreen HD TV, living room, desk, and full kitchen. Room was very clean. Bed comfortable and bedding soft and nice. A little off the road so it has some privacy as well. Heated pool and hot tub, large breakfast offerings, small grocery center. I would definitely go back.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed May 5, 2009

I work in the travel and tourism industry but back in Feb 2009 I stayed at the Residence Inn at the Airport in Albany because of a death in the family. We were looking for a place big enough for me and my husband as well as my brother and his wife- we all wanted to stay together to help with the travel costs. After looking online I called them directly and they gave me a better price then I found anywhere else.
I will say that I highly recommend this hotel, especially if you need more then one "room". Their hospitality was AMAZING, especially appreciated when we were going through such a difficult time. They offer free breakfast, and although nothing fancy, it was more then just your typical fruit, bagles and coffee.
I would like to mention that parking was difficult. Being Feb in Albany there were piles of snow everywhere, and they were also doing construction on site. (Which thankfully never disrupted our stay) But between the snow and the construction vehicles many spaces were taken and we had to park further away then we would have liked, especially in the dead of winter traveling with a baby.
This place was a wonderful value and if we need to travel back to the Albany area again as a family, we will be choosing Residence Inn at the Albany Airport again.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank KrissyB
Reviewed February 23, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for the second time in July 2007 while in town for a wedding. We reserved a suite with an upstairs "loft". 2 days before leaving for our trip a "manager" called to say they were having some water issues and could we stay in a smaller suite. I told her no. We had chosen that room configuration for a reason. She was quite rude and said fine and hung up. Turned out when we arrived that there was a sports team staying there and the hotel was booked solid. It seems to me that they wanted to switch our family of 3 to a smaller room to accomodate the team as nobody on staff knew what water problems they were having 2 days prior.

We arrived at the hotel and were in the same room as our first stay - about 2 years prior. The stair railing leading to our door was broken, the grounds were covered in cigarette butts. The grass outside was COVERED in dried dog feces. The room had been remodeled but the same problems we had the first time - poor lighting, sqeaky floor upstairs, hard beds with scratchy linens remained. The worst part was that there was no wireless internet and the wired line was barely long enough to connect while sitting at the table.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank mysterie91
Also consider these accommodations in or near Latham
Hampton Inn & Suites Albany Airport
Staybridge Suites Albany Wolf Rd-Colonie Center
Hotel Indigo Albany-Latham
2 mi away
TownePlace Suites Latham Albany Airport
Hilton Garden Inn Albany Airport
Homewood Suites by Hilton Albany

Been to Residence Inn Albany Airport? Share your experiences!