“Spacious, green, and clean”

Residence Inn Albany Airport
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Latham
Reviewed August 18, 2014

The hotel is surrounded by beautiful trees and it has green walkways to the main lobby. It provides great value and spacious suites that let you stretch out. The rooms are clean and fitted with new appliances. There is everything you need to cook a nice meal but you also have the complimentary dinner provided Monday through Thursday.
Definitely worth keeping in my list of favorites.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Residence Inn Albany Airport

Reviewed August 17, 2014

I've stayed at the Residence Inn Albany Airport on several occasions, as it has been my go-to hotel in the area. My assessment based upon my most recent visit has been that management has stopped investing in refurbishment and customer care training. I suspect this means that the brand will soon replace this property with a newer and sexier airport property. This probably isn't a bad thing.

As usual, I stayed at the property on a business trip with several other colleagues. At check-in, both of my colleagues were told that they needed to be "unavoidably downgraded." It turns out that our admin was only able to book each of us suites. None of us really had a NEED for the second floor loft, so being downgraded to a standard room was no hassle. That being said, the way the desk attendant presented the downgrade could use some polish. No attempt was made to provide compensation (either monetarily or in Marriott Rewards points) for the property not being able to fulfill our reservations. This is disappointing. Admittedly, none of us had any use for the loft suites; however, they are, in fact, what we had booked. All my colleagues received was a half-hearted apology, and excuse about a guest opting to overstay their original reservation, and an offer to bring in cots to make up for the missing capacity of the downgraded rooms. This last comment struck me as particularly odd-- if I were a large family who had booked the loft suite for the extra bed, bathroom, and general spaciousness, the offer of a roll-away bed would have been of little recompense and really no more than a slap in the face of a hotel not able to fulfill the reservation, as promised.

Apparently, one loft suite was still available, so it was not necessary to "downgrade" my reservation. Unfortunately, if I were to describe my loft suite in a single word, it would be "dumpy." Yes, everything was clean. Yes, the shampoos were stocked. Yes, the wifi worked (slowly). However, the upstairs closet had a thick layer of dust on the clothes rail. The bathroom was not well-lit and looked dingy. There were several areas where wall sconces or smoke alarms or something had been pulled out of the wall in a renovation-- without cosmetic repairs to patch or paint the holes. The room simply did not meet expectations and was a departure from what I had come to expect on previous stays. The color palette of this hotel has always been drab and grey-- this time around, I found the room downright depressing.

I cannot comment on the breakfast buffet-- the hours (open at 6:30) were not amenable to eating before catching a morning flight. I can comment that the management does leave an assortment of pre-made muffins out for the early risers. I skipped this for real food at the airport. I also cannot comment on the airport shuttle. For a hotel that caters to airline travelers and is near and airport with a large number of flights between 5:30 AM and 8:30 AM, I find it interesting that the shuttle service only starts at 9:00 AM. I'm sure that it is much less expensive to run this way, since there are fewer flights out of ALB in the afternoon hours than in the morning, so I'd imagine that running a shuttle with non-useful hours is a great way to have a bullet point on the webpage without actually investing in a real service.

I don't plan to stay here again, unless I don't have better options. I look forward to Marriott bulldozing what has become a dump and putting a real hotel with real customer focus in it's place. From my perspective, it's overdue.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

I don't think this facility was originally a Residence Inn. The layout was very odd and the buildings dated even though the furnishings were newer. The facility was worn from a maintenance perspective too. But the staff was fine, the place was clean and the breakfast was what we expected. It worked put for a one evening stay going through the area. It would also have been fine for a longer stay. Proximity to the airport is an issue if you are light sleeper or unless you are flying and need the convenience of location.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nancy B
Reviewed July 15, 2014

Imagine someone building a townhouse with no construction experience and using the cheapest materials found at Home Depot. This is my experience here - many things didn't work or were broken. We were in their 2-story "penthouse"; the upstairs was incredibly hot at night while the a/c froze the downstairs. The room was also quite dirty. The normal RI setup was OK: pool, big breakfast, .... It is right next to the airport so the occasional night jet will wake you.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank lcf-guy
Reviewed July 7, 2014

We stayed during 4th july weekend. The place is great - friendly staff and nice and spacious room. The breakfast was good. Overall nice stay to rewind. We thought that the proximity to airport may be a problem but didnt hear aircraft noise except one one occasion.

Stayed: July 2014
RIAlbanyAirport, General Manager at Residence Inn Albany Airport, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2014

Thank you for your nice comments! We appreciate it and thank you for staying with us! Hope to see you back!

Reviewed June 17, 2014

I stayed at the Residence Inn for five nights and could not be happier. I would go out of my way to stay at this hotel again.

One morning I showed up late for breakfast and the staff ran back into the kitchen to find food for me so that I would not go hungry.

The day I left, my taxi failed to arrive on time. The staff brought out the hotel shuttle and brought me to my destination for free without charge so I wouldn't miss my bus.

I would like to point out that I never asked for the extra accommodations. The staff did all of this of their own volition, with friendly smiles, and acted like they did not expect even a 'Thank you'.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 17, 2014

A co-worker recommended this hotel and I was not sure what to expect. I had a Queen Studio and the room was nice and spacious. I stayed for a week and worked part of the week in the room (due to weather conditions). It had a (fake) fireplace but having a full kitchen was nice and unexpected! The bed was very comfortable. Because of the bad weather, I did not appreciate having to walk in the elements for breakfast or dinner (rain, sleet, snow and ice). But that's when the full kitchen came in handy--I prepared by having snacks handy. The breakfast was typical fare for a hotel: pre-made scramble eggs, sausage patties, a potato choice. They also had a decent selection of yogurt and fresh fruit. Dinner was a light meal, which was nice when you returned at the end of a long day to have something in your stomach and a glass of wine. One of the major detractors was the very loud bathroom fan and being close to the airport. If you are a light sleeper this may bother you (as for me, I can usually sleep through anything).

I was definitely satisfied and seeing that it was a business trip, I don't necessarily expect luxury accomodations....so this was a surprise.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Latham
Hampton Inn & Suites Albany Airport
Hilton Garden Inn Albany Airport
TownePlace Suites Latham Albany Airport
Microtel Inn by Wyndham Albany Airport
Hampton Inn Albany - Wolf Road (Airport)
Staybridge Suites Albany Wolf Rd-Colonie Center

Been to Residence Inn Albany Airport? Share your experiences!