“Not as good as it used to be”

Residence Inn Albany Airport
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Latham
Reviewed July 2, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel several times in the past few years and always been pleased. This past weekend my family and I booked the 2 bedroom suite but when we arrived we were given the penthouse suite which instead of two full bedrooms had a murphy bed in an open area and no sofabed like 2-bedroom suite has. I understand mix-ups happen but they insisted that was what I had booked even though my confirmation said other wise. There was also a bad smell in the bathroom downstairs, it was not pleasant and did not go away the entire time we were there. The ceiling fan in the bathroom sounded like an aircraft carrier when you turned it on so I did not use it and thus the bathroom got very steamy. I have to say, I am not sure we will stay here again.

Room Tip: I would confirm by telephone with the hotel the type of room you booked, if booking online) to make...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed June 20, 2012

The hotel is not bad at all for the area. Rooms are spacious and the grassy area is great for walking my dog.

And now the downside. Every time we put the sign for housekeeping to clean our room when we came back we would have to kill at least a dozen bugs that got into the room while she was cleaning, spiders, ants, flies, mosquitoes, etc. Needless to say, I'm a not a big fan of any bug and opted out of having my room cleaned rather than having a room filled with bugs.

When I went to get the hotel dinner one night I wanted to bring it back to my room since I have my dog with me. I asked for a take out box and the woman handed me the smallest box available (roughly 4in x 4in) and when I asked for two she rudely refused to give me another one. Granted, I'm a woman weighing about 125 - I do not eat much, but the bun for the chicken sandwich they were having that night barely fit the box she gave me, let alone trying to have any of the pasta salad that was the side that night. Not only was she horrendously rude, she looked at me like I was going to take enough food to last a week. Sorry, I just wanted my sandwich and side without having to pile it on top of each other.

Overall, the property itself wasn't bad at all. The staff on the other hand could probably take a lesson or two on customer service or consider another occupation. I expected more from the Marriott brand.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I stay at this property occasionally and they really go out of their way. From the front desk staff to the house keeping department everyone makes sure your stay is perfect. Many guests are long term and I hear the staff using names and making travelers feel welcome. I am usually there only one day or two. The rooms have all been updated( like this week) and they are great, from the full size refrigerators to the cool electronic fireplaces. The breakfasts offer to many choices. I do not usually eat the evening meal but drinks and something simple and tasty is offered.

They have a nice pool and a small tennis/basketball court and a nice wooden setting to take a walk around the grounds.

I try and stay here as often as possible and am disappointed when they are booked.

Room Tip: They are all great.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 17, 2012

This entire complex is supposedly going through a major renovation to be completed by end of 2012, so hopefully in a year's time the reviews will get better. However, for now, this Residence Inn is by far the worst I've experienced. I stayed in a "2-bedroom suite" and everything was old and worn - carpet, furniture, bed, kitchen cabinets, appliances, fixtures, etc. No king sized beds anywhere, only queen size which feels really small.

Building materials are way too skimpy - no insulation from the noise of the airport that's just outside the complex, no insulation from the doors slamming and footfalls of your neighbors, no insulation from the sub-zero temps outside. Water heater and central heating units make loud noises, constantly. The daily breakfasts and M-Th dinners are a joke (eggs from a box?! mac & cheese?! nachos?!). Kitchen utensils (pots/pans) are some cheap Walmart knock-offs so you can't even cook a decent meal in your room without your food hopelessly sticking to the bottoms of all the cookware.

The only good thing about this place is that the staff is friendly.

Room Tip: Guests in first floor rooms will hear everything that goes on above their heads. Guests in second fl...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 17, 2011

We stayed here because we had an early morning flight from Albany airport the next day. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful.

The hotel is layed out like an apartment complex and our suite was on the second floor in building one. The suite consisted of a fully equipped kitchen, dining area, living room (with fireplace and pull out couch), a downstairs bedroom with queen bed and en suite bathroom, and an upstairs bedroom loft with ensuite bathroom. All of the furniture and equipment was clean, modern and tasteful.

We all had a good night's sleep and would definitely stay here again. The hotel also offers complimentary breakfast, but our flight was very early, so we didn't get to try it. They also offer a sort of happy hour with eats Monday through Thursday evenings.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 15, 2011

My daughter graduated from college in the Albany/Schenectady area and we needed a place where our out of town guests could stay and assemble for the various graduation functions. We took a 2 bedroom and 3 1BR suites. Our 2BR suite was perfect for the informal get togethers, like arrival day and a pre-dinner party. We have stayed here many times before, when visiting my daughter and the extra room and privacy was well appreciated. There is a very large common area for breakfast, in which a typical motel breakfast was served. On one trip back to our room, my wife commented, I
"I really feel at home here, in a little village with our closest relatives and free coffee."
Only one disappointment, which could have been a disaster, but turned out fine. Two days before check-in (remember, 4 rooms), I received a call telling me there would be no 2 BR units available (although I had booked 6 months in advance and even followed up one week in advance), because a group decided to not check out. We were able to re-arrange everyone and the hotel did find one 2BR, which we had to have.

Room Tip: The 2BR is plenty big for a family or two couples seeking privacy.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 12, 2011

This is the first time we stayed at this Residence Inn because it was only 10 minutes from Siena College and we had to move our daughter back in on Labor Day of all days! We arrived on Sunday, Sept. 4 at 4pm after a 7 hour drive from Ohio. We booked a 1 bedroom suite and they said they were going to upgrade us to a penthouse unit, but because it was the holiday weekend, alot of the guests were requesting later check outs. The front desk was very apologetic and she kept checking with the cleaning staff to let her know ASAP when our unit would be ready. We were in 1126. Our room was ready at 4:30 and they had some nice compfy chairs outside by an outdoor fire pit where we sat until our unit was ready. The room was clean. Our bed (queen) was upstairs in the loft area. Our daughter stayed downstairs on the pullout murphy bed (queen) and said it was going to be more comfortable than her dorm bunkbed! We did not hear the airplanes in our room until 6:30am on Monday morning. Their free breakfast was very nice and they have alot more seating room than at Fairfield Inns. There were two rooms actually. My husband is a Marriott rewards member so they usually try to upgrade us if they can. The front desk and staff in the breafast area were very friendly. My only complaint on the penthouse units is that the sink/vanity area (upstairs) are outside of the bathroom from tub/shower which makes the latter a very small area. You have to come in, shut the door and turn around. But the downstairs bathroom is not like that at all. It is all in one room. They did leave earplugs that you could use while you slept. I'm sure you could request more if everyone in your party needed a pair. We didn't use them, but we had to get up early anyway. We will be staying here the next 2 years before "move in day" since our daughter is only a sophmore!!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Latham
Hilton Garden Inn Albany Airport
Hampton Inn & Suites Albany Airport
TownePlace Suites Latham Albany Airport
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Latham
Homewood Suites by Hilton Albany
La Quinta Inn & Suites Latham Albany Airport

Been to Residence Inn Albany Airport? Share your experiences!