“U get treated poorly if ur indian”
Review of Karavalli

Karavalli
Ranked #8 of 145 Restaurants in Latham
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
albany
“U get treated poorly if ur indian”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

u get seated at the back or very close to door if ur indian, u get pappaodams without chutney and onions if ur indian (while ur next table gets both) and likely ur order will be the last to arrive. The waiters 'give u looks' if u dont order too many things.

The food is overpriced, the dosas are cold when they come out, taste is ok but the experience isnt. I have been there many a times and every dinner experience has left me bitter. I am not mistaken, I have tried and tested my theory that 'u get treated differently in this restaurant if ur brown and go for dinner'. Thankfully we have a southindian place (much beter tasting) in albany now. Avoid this restaurant. But if u go there, observe how they treat the indian people and make ur own opinion.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Heartforu

“Always stop here when we are in Albany area”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We always go here when we are in the Albany area, but that tends to be around lunch time, so I cannot speak to the dinner menu, though I suspect it is quite good. Lunch we always eat off the buffet, and in a way that shows off the quality of the food here. First, the menu seems to rotate a bit more than many such places. Second, There is real variety, and you feel each dish has been treated as a unique and important item. Third, there seems to be more of a specific point of view here, not just generic Indian. Finally, if you like spicy food, you will appreciate their willingness to make some of the dishes decidedly spicy, although others are mild. Another nice touch is that they heat up and serve naan to your table, rather than leaving you to grab it from the buffet.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank GilBagnell
Clifton Park, NY
“The place to go for Dosai.”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

We've been going to Karavalli ever since they opened in Latham. We've been to many different Indian restaurants in the area, and quite a few outside of the Capital District. While we have found some better far away from home, we have not found any locally that consistently provide such a high level of quality on each visit. And we have yet to find another local Indian restaurant that serves Dosai.

Our usual starter was the spicy Mysore Masala Dosai ($8) - a large, thin, rice and lentil crepe filled with potatoes and served with sambar, tomato chutney, and coconut chutney. This could be a good lunch for one person, but still leaves some room for dinner when shared by two.

Lamb Saag ($15) was my dinner choice - lamb cooked in delicately spiced spinach gravy. The lamb was not too strong in flavor and blended well with the spinach. Half of it came home with me and the lamb was a bit stronger as a leftover. My wife stayed with her usual Chettinadu Vegetable ($12) - vegetables in authentic spicy black pepper and roasted coconut sauce. It will continue to be her favorite. Both entrees were served with a large bowl of rice. We also ordered some Garlic Nan ($4) that was hot and tasty.

Our meals were washed down with a couple of bottles of beer. I don't recall exactly what we had, but since they offer quality beers, I likely had a Samuel Adams and my wife may have had a New Castle. Considering we arrived on Valentine's Day, without a reservation, to what appeared to be the end of the first seating of the evening, we were pleased that they found us a table within about 10 minutes. Our total bill was $56.16 after tax and before tip. A very reasonable price for the quality of the food served.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Roger K
Latham, New York, United States
“Best Indian Food in the Area”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Absolutely the best Indian food in Albany. I do take about 2 a month and they have the best tikka masala and vindaloo I have had. Try the Ragara as an app. Fantastic naan. Really cannot go wrong with anythig here and the owners are the best.

Visited January 2013
2 Thank Philip B
“Great Indian Food”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

This restaurant has continually been rated the number one Indian restaurant in the area for good cause. Their food is excellent with a wide menu of many great choices. Prices are reasonable and they have always consistently offered quality food. We brought many people here and the results have always been the same. Good satisfaction. I love their curry vegetables and samosas. The food can be spicy or not depending on your selections but they are very experienced and provide good results. Be creative and try different dishes because they will be sure to please!

Visited May 2012
3 Thank hopsy

Been to Karavalli? Share your experiences!