“Lazy, lazy, lazy housekeeping staff”

Quality Inn & Suites Albany Airport
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Latham
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed from mid-May to mid June. I can only say that we consistently had to chase the housekeeping staff down to ask if they would come vacuum our room, change the sheets or towels. Since we were a long-term rental, we even told the office that every 3rd day on towels would be ok, but even then, most days housekeeping avoided us like the plague.

Steve, who worked the front desk several evenings, told me one time that I was lucky to even have a room, and that I should just be quiet, go back to my room, and understand that they were busy and had done us a favor by letting us stay there. This was because I'd come down 4 times in the first 2 weeks to ask if the maintenance staff was going to come by and fix the jacuzzi. Of course, we were paying a huge amount of money for a "premium" 2 room suite, jacuzzi included. Extra for our son and dog.

Eventually, the housekeeping staff got mad because I'd go to the office and request service (when I got home at 5 PM) if they'd missed a day. After getting caught at this a few times, they told the manager that they were getting flea bites and refused to go in the room. She called the exterminator, who came in and said that there were no fleas. The next time, she asked us to leave... When pressed, she said that even though the exterminator said there were NO FLEAS, and still sprayed, she was going to side with the 2 housekeepers. I asked a few more questions... turns out that the housekeepers had "some kind of mark" on their next - but everyone knows that fleas can't jump 5 foot high. And oh yeah, the white sock test from the exterminator didn't count, because her housekeepers would never lie.

After 4 weeks, the outside pool still wasn't open because the maintenance staff couldn't determine the cause of a small leak for the first 2 weeks, then couldn't balance the chemicals during the next 2 weeks we were there. I think this cost us $129 per day (but I could be wrong), plus $90 a week for the dog.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Bill F

Reviewed October 20, 2012

when we arrived they gave us 3 key cards, none of them worked.We tried 4 times then we had to go back to the lobby and have them fix them. Once we got into the room,their was an odor and one of the garbage pailes did not have a plastic liner and was filthy. We complained again. They came and sprayed the room and gave us another pail. Later that night we went to get ice and the ice bucket was dirty and their was no liner . We continued to have problems with the keycards not working. In the morning we took showers and the bathroom floor was sprayed. We had to put towels down on the floor. The bathtub itself had rust coming down the wall, the tiles were dirty and so was the floor. We went to breakfast, the eggs were cold and people were using plastic forks to get the toaster to work. The water was not hot enough for the hot cereal. When we came back later that day, the beds were made but dirty plastic cups and a cereal bowl were left around. Also, a dirt towel was still in the bathroom.
We were in a separate building from the main building, every time someone left we heard the door slam, which made it difficult to sleep. We continued to have problems with the key card to get into the building. When I went back to the desk they said just keep trying and eventually it works. The was a very unpleasant weekend and ruined parents weekend for us.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank alan j
Reviewed September 15, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel twice in the last year. The location is very convenient and there are lots of restaurants and DunkinDonuts nearby. The lobby looks very welcoming and we found the front desk staff to helpful and polite. The rooms are spacious and on the surface things seem clean and well kept. But as you look closer you'll notice that the carpets are very worn, there are ceiling water stains and mold and the furniture is pretty beat up and chipped. It's nice to have a refrigerator and microwave in the room as well as a sitting area but everything is very dated (probably remodeled in the 80's). The room keys were constantly needing to be re-programmed (3 times in a two-day stay). The shower was very good but the tub had hair from a previous guest. The ice machine was terrible. The gym is small but typical of other hotels in this price range. The breakfast is adequate but the number of tables is too small. The air conditioning blows on the bed.

The worst offense was that the bedding was probably not changed from the previous guest. We arrived late at night and as we were going to sleep my wife found long black hairs in the bed that were certainly not from us. It was so late we just brushed the sheets off and went to sleep. The next day I placed a mark on a sheet to see if it would get changed per my request. It never did. Based on this, I can only assume that all housekeeping was poorly done. I usually leave a tip for the housekeeper but not this time.

We will not return to this hotel (there's a nice Hampton Inn up the road).

Room Tip: Go someplace else!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank pubprof
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Outside: Easy to find, right off I-87. Convenient to Sake Restaurant, show your room key for 20% off.

Inside: The room had a microwave and refrigerator, which were good. The shower sucked. Half the water came out the spout below and what came out of the showerhead sprayed at random. A/C was loud and directed the cold air right onto the bed. Breakfast was okay, if you like rye bread.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank ILOVERMONT4
Reviewed August 24, 2012

What a shame that things have slipped so badly since I stayed here a year ago. My room number was 500....here is a list of the problems I had: The coffee maker was not cleaned from the last guest, & the used coffee pack was still in the coffee maker; the security bar on the door was broken & absolutely useless; there is so much chlorine (or some other chemical) in the cold water, that the coffee I made in my room in the morning was horrible; there is a lot of mold around the edges of the bathtub; the windows in the room open up, but there are no screens, so bugs can fly in; the breakfast area for the breakfast that is included with the room shuts down at 9AM on weekdays, way too early in my opinion.

The only good thing was the nice evening front desk clerk.

Sorry, but I'll be looking for a different place to stay next time I'm in the Latham area.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Dennyd44
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Ok, first the pros: Walking distance of Sake, Carabba's, Ruby Tuesday. Comfortable bed. Refrigerator and microwave in room. Lobby looks very professional, but don't be fooled!
Now, the cons: Dirty on the inside (cobwebs and wall stains), very old facilities (bathtub with rust stains), a/c works but you can't control it, curtains have holes in them. Pool wasn't open.

There are lots of hotels in the vicinity. If you pay more than $50 for a room here, you are paying too much.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank SeeYaARound
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Late in the day I booked the last room available, which happened to be their 2-room Presidential Suite. First impression was that it was a bargain price, given the amenities: kitchen with full refrigerator and stove, furnished living room, two flat screen TV's, well-appointed jacuzzi, and king bed. However, a closer look showed the facility was poorly maintained, to say the least: at least 2 burned-out light bulbs, a short in a light switch in the kitchen and possibly the ceiling light in the living room, no working phone in the living room, a lamp with the switch broken off, a non-functioning bathroom fan, and the wireless internet connection unavailable until morning for some reason. Situated on the ground floor and screened from public view behind a thick row of shrubs, I found the large sliding glass windows unlocked when I checked in, which certainly did not make me feel very secure. Forget the President; maybe this would work for an Assistant Undersecretary of the Interior??

Mentioned the issues to the friendly staff at the front desk when I checked out, and they assured me they'd have their maintenance people look into it.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo