“Not so great”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Latham Albany Airport
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Latham
“Not so great”
Reviewed May 1, 2008

We needed someplace to stay near the Albany airport and picked this hotel based on the reviews on this site. While there were no major problems, and it was certainly a good enough price, it was a disappointment and didn't look much like the picture here on TripAdvisor. It didn't seem super-clean by any means, and our room looked like it had definitely seen better days. The rug was very stained, the walls had lots of dings and dents, and worst of all, the beds were not that comfortable, mostly because they weren't very firm, the sheets were very thin and scratchy, and the pillows were really cheap quality and kind of lumpy. And I'm not usually super fussy about such things, but really the quality of the sheets, in particular, was about as poor as I've ever encountered in a hotel. On the positive side, the breakfast was ok and the people who worked there were friendly. I wouldn't stay here again, though. On our return trip we stayed at the Hampton Inn in Latham on British American Boulevard, paid $10 less a night, and got a great room in a super clean hotel with very comfy beds, pillows and linens. No contest!

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Erie, PA
Reviewed April 13, 2008

My stay at La Quinta Albany Airport was perfect. I booked my room though the La Quinta website the day before, and got into Albany around 11:30pm. The parking lot is in the back of the hotel, and although there is a door in the back, it's locked at night and accessible only with a room key. I had to walk to the front of the building to get in, but I didn't feel unsafe, even at the late hour and being by myself. Check-in was fast, easy, and the man at the front desk was friendly. There was a nice, clean indoor pool and a gym, although I didn't use either.

The room was very clean and in good repair. Clean, comfortable bed and bedding, clean bathroom with plenty of towels, and clean floors that I didn't mind walking barefoot on. The alarm clock, TV, and TV remote all worked fine. I couldn't hear any noises coming from adjacent rooms, and even the hallway was fairly quiet.

The bathroom included shampoo, lotion, and soap. The shower had good water pressure and the shower curtain had a bowed curtain rod, providing a little extra elbow room. There was a hair dryer in the bathroom, but I didn't use it.

Breakfast was tasty, fresh, and filling. There were plenty of tables in the breakfast area, and it was kept very clean by the staff. There was a TV in the breakfast area, which was nice to watch while eating, and check on traffic, weather, and news.

Check-out was fast and easy, and the man at the front desk was very helpful. All in all, an excellent value and a nice place to stay.

• Liked — Clean & comfortable room, tasty & filling breakfast, friendly & helpful staff.
  • Disliked — No negatives I noticed.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank bluegreen91
Bar Harbor, Maine
Reviewed December 24, 2007

Our needs were pretty basic--an overnight stop in the Albany area, convenient to the Thruway--quiet, clean, and pet-friendly. The places we have stayed before on the route have all gone WAY downhill. Enter the new La Quinta, with promising reviews, a good location and reasonable rates. On our next pass through the area, we will look no further. We had a warm welcome, a sparking, spacious room with lots of extras - fridge, microwave, wi-fi, large cable TV, big bathroom, comfy bed with very nice sheets, desk, recliner, closet with "real" hangers, iron, hair dryer, coffee maker and clock radio. The hotel had an indoor pool, fitness center and business center, plus a generous breakfast buffet, with a friendly attendant. If I have any complaints, it was that when I called to change our website reservation to a day later (due to weather delay), our rate was not honored; we were charged about $15 more. Still, it was reasonable and we would return. Rooms had great sound insulation, which was important to us, as strange bumps in the night can set our dog to barking, but he did not make a peep and we and all around us had a peaceful nght.

• Liked — Pet-friendly without being a flea bag
  • Disliked — Divided highway made access a little tricky
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled solo
1 Thank Tellurian
RI
Reviewed December 20, 2007

Very pleased. Thought the check-in service was helpful. I am really fussy about hotels and I thought the property was very clean. Beds were comfortable. I would stay there again and would recommend the hotel.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank MERL-7
Lee, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 9, 2007

We stayed because we had to be at the airport before 5 the next morning, and they told us they had a shuttle service. The room & grounds were impeccable, bedding terrific, even down pillows. We left so early, nothing available for breakfast. When we got in after Thanksgiving, after 1am, hours late in pouring rain, the hotel advised us there was no shuttle after 7pm! We found a cab and retrieved our car, not happy. They should have advised us ahead of time when I did verify there was an early shuttle. Maybe our bad, but we'll never go back.

• Liked — wonderful pillows and linen
  • Disliked — lousy shuttle service, poor communication by staff
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank flakymeme
Long Island
Reviewed December 5, 2007

Stayed one night on way to daughter's for Thanksgiving. It was very nice....I felt completely safe. Great breakfast in the morning including waffles. The best thing was that it's a pet friendly hotel, so I know I will be staying there again with my little dog. I heard a dog in the room next door so I'm sure there are special rooms set aside for pets. The room was nice and clean and well taken care of. The staff was great. They also have listings for a few restaurants that deliver. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Pet friendly
  • Disliked — A little hard to find at night.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
Portland OR
Reviewed November 29, 2007

I was staying at the Hampton Inn up the road and it was an absolute horrible experience so I saw this one driving by and decided anything was better than the Hampton Inn.
This hotel has just been purchased by either Mariott or Holiday Inn Express. It is well lit, clean, and I felt much safer staying here as a single female traveler. Wireless worked well, rooms were acceptable, not fancy, not shabby. It is definately a well used hotel but it is kept clean. Staff was polite, not overly nice but not rude. Breakfast was standard Holiday Inn Express style.
When I need to go back to the Albany/Latham/S Springs area for business I would stay here. I don't know if they have airport shuttle. They have a small gym, an office room, a small pool and a hot tub. I would have felt comfortable using any of those as they appeared to be clean and in order.

• Liked — well lit, clean
  • Disliked — driveway entry
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank donjuana
Also consider these accommodations in or near Latham
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Latham
Microtel Inn by Wyndham Albany Airport
The Century House, an Ascend Collection Hotel
TownePlace Suites Latham Albany Airport
Comfort Inn Latham/Albany North
Hampton Inn & Suites Albany Airport

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Latham Albany Airport? Share your experiences!