“Inviting atmosphere with great food and service.”

Century House Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Century House Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 148 Restaurants in Latham
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Century Hill Drive
Reviewed November 22, 2013

Probably should not have been surprised at how busy The Century House was on a Friday night about 8 pm, but when we saw all the cars outside, all the bar seats taken, and possibly a full dining room, we asked the hostess how long of a wait for a table for two. She cheerfully surprised us by saying she could seat us right away. Wonderful!

We started with a couple pints of beer ($5/ 16 oz.) since they offer a decent selection of craft choices. A Bear Naked Ale from Adirondack Brewery and a Brown Ale from Brown's Brewing were great choices to accompany our meal.

Looking at the Tavern Favorites and Small Plates Menu, we shared an appetizer of Falafel ($7.95), I believe there were 5 in the serving. They came out quickly from the kitchen, were nice and hot, crispy on the outside and not greasy. But there was not a lot of flavor to them. They were better when we dipped them in the tzatziki sauce.

My wife had Steak Frites ($16.95) - a bistro steak (London Broil) with a Bordelaise sauce and steak frites. The steak was more tender than we expected and properly cooked to the requested medium-rare. More on the steak frites a bit latter.

I ordered the Beef Short Rib Slider ($10.95) - tender, juicy, and flavorful short rib meat with roasted garlic aioli on two fresh slider rolls, fieldgreens, and French fries. Now you may ask if there was a difference between my wife's steak frites and my French fries. Well, they tasted the same, but hers were longer than mine (see pictures). At least this let me know that they were freshly cut in-house and not frozen.

We finished off sharing some Maple Caramel Gelato ($7) that was really rich and creamy, YUM! And I can't overlook the excellent Coffee ($2.25/cup) - truly, a very rich and flavorful coffee, worth coming here just for that. I don't know if the price included refills. They mention on the menu that it is a fair trade organic coffee blended just for them and roasted on site. It's even available for purchase to take home (7.5 oz. package $7.95).

Our server, Mary B. was efficient, friendly and helpful. As busy as the restaurant was, she timed the delivery of our courses perfectly and answered all our questions. We really need to return here more frequently. The atmosphere is also very inviting with its early American look and fireplace.

There are newer reviews for Century House Restaurant

Reviewed November 17, 2013

We dined here while staying at the hotel on business. The colonial-style tavern was just lovely. We didn't have a reservation, but were accomodated without delay. The service was excellent. Young staff clearly were well-trained. The food was decently priced and very nicely prepared. We had beef dishes which were delicious. Could not have been more pleased.

Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

The tavern and restaurant at the Century House is charming. Every time I stop I always ask myself why I don't come here more often. It has a very inviting charm and the food is always consistently good.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

The restaurant is very good. The food is excellent and the pricing is similar to other restaurants in the area. The service tends to be a bit slow but it isn't the type of venue/food that should be rushed.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

Have been here a few times. Everytime food and atmosphere has been consistiently good. Expect about $50 per person but food is worth it. I would spend more for the quality and still be satisfied. Will be back if in area again.

Been to Century House Restaurant? Share your experiences!