“A nice evening out...”

Century House Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Century House Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 143 Restaurants in Latham
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Century Hill Drive
Barre, Massachusetts
“A nice evening out...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

Great dinner with my parents.  We stopped overnight north of Albany on our way across New York and picked this one off the Internet. Our server Dawn was fantastic.  We tried a bunch of different items. Everything tasted good and was cooked well.  Plus they met a bunch of dietary concerns.

The spring rolls, caesar salad, and lobster mac and cheese were my personal favorites. They also brought a birthday treat of their insanely chocolate mousse out for my mother.

It's a little pricey (but worth it.) The service was the tiniest bit slow paced in our fast paced world, but if you aren't in a hurry, definitely give this place a try.

• Arabic first
Boston, Massachusetts
“We expected so much better”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

We went on a Saturday night with a large group for a birthday. The building is really nice and the restaurant space is very quaint.

We had eaten here years ago and had enjoyed the dinner. The hostess was wonderful and took us right to our table. The server took our drink orders and then the challenges began. After ordering our food we waited almost an hour for our overcooked appetizers. 75 minutes later the dinners came out. 2 were undercooked and the rest were way overdone. My medium rare steak was grey and tough. To be fair, because we had been there so long we did not say anything so we did not give them a chance to redo the food.

I really wish it had been better.

Granbergsdal
“Posh, posh and posh. But no substance.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

OK, we should have known better. Sunday evening and not dressed up.
But we have been to Waldorf Astoria NYC, many high-class restaurants in Munich, Paris, Stockholm and many other places in our plain dresses without any problem.

The Century House happened to be the closest restaurant available near our hotel so we thought it would be a good idea to go there for an evening meal. It was not.

The waiter could not hide his sentiments when we ordered a simple Bistro Stek - he wanted us to have a full meal, obviously.

The steak was dry. Very dry. We couldn't eat it. It got stuck in the throat. When they saw me taking a photo of the steak, they thought it was because it was so good! And that was definitely not the reason.

The waiter then tried to impress me with a few French words. Probably to intimidate me. I work a lot in France and when I answered him in French, he couldn't understand what I said. So much for that.

The staff did listen, though. And they made a perfect Dry Martini. I told them that I would write a very negative report and they seemed to understand why.

I wish them luck and that they do it much better next time. Worse is not possible.

Visited February 2013
Gonic, NH
“Excellent Prime Rib”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

I ate in the bar, but the dining room had a good crowd for an early Sunday evening. I ordered the smaller Prime Rib. It was a perfect rare with a side of bake potato and asparagus. All were perfectly cooked. The meal was served with a loaf of warm bread, olive tapenade and herbed olive oil. The Carr Napa Cab recommended by the glass was a good accent. There were several televisions on sports channels. In the dining room a person was celebrating a birthday and one of the servers sang the guest a song. I would return here for the food, atmosphere and service.

Visited March 2013
Niskayuna, New York
“Quaint place for lunch or dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

Everything at this restaurant is perfect from the staff to the food and the philosophy of "giving back to others". They even offer a program where they will donate a meal for everyone one sold - who does that nowadays?

It is a charming hotel but is especially lovely during the holidays with its working fireplace and "New England Style" holiday decorations and motif.

Worth a visit if you are in the area, including at the Saratoga Race Course in August since it is only about 20 miles down Route 9 in Latham.

• Visited January 2013