“So glad we went!”

Portofino Ristorante
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Come visit us at Portofino,located adjacent to Travelodge Hotel. Fine dining atmosphere, affordable dining and great ambience. Live music on weekends and happy hour 4 to 7 monday thru Friday! Award winning chef.....find out why we are becoming Latham's newest favorite!
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Saw a Groupon and after checking out the TA reviews decided to buy it. Friend and I went last night and were so very pleased. We were warmly greeted by Anthony, (owner) and initially sat at the bar for a drink. Cozy and pleasant. Then at our table we were served homemade warm bread. I had the small plate Tuna with risotto and asparagus. Loved the Tuna and loved that it was a small plate, just enough. My friend had the Chicken Marsala and it was plentiful and delicious and served with homemade tagliatelle! We got there at 5:30 and by time we left at 7 there were many people there. Will definitely go again!

Reviewed February 3, 2013

We stopped here for dinner based on TA's reviews. We were prepared, but still a bit leery of a great restaurant attached to an older hotel. We were at the end of a very long day travelling and wanted a nice meal. It was very cold and windy when we arrived so we were pleasantly surprised and relieved to walk into such a nice place. As mentioned it is divided into 2 levels. We were seated at the upper level (just a few steps up) and thought the atmosphere to be warm and cozy. The bread was very good and though I generally try to pass on this, my companions mmm's convinced me to try it. We each had a different meal, my friends had the Pollo Alla Marsala and Pancetta Caronara ( a twist on the usual carbonara). My husband and I had the Shrimp Basilico and the Carmelized Diver Scallops in a small plate size. Each was just the right amount and was delicious! Mmm's heard here too! We had the choice of homemade pasta to go with it that was tender and perfectly cooked. Great to soak up the tasty sauces. Many times in Italian restaurants you have to order a salad, but a very nice one with a reduced balsamic vinegar dressing lightly applied came with the meal. The service was attentive but not overbearing. Sadly we don't live here, we envy those who do. We'll definitely stop here again when we travel this way next.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

I'm tired of chains. Franchises are good because when your away from your home you know what to expect from a TGIF or an Outback but I prefer the personalized unique creative talents of a Chef. Portofino in Latham was wonderful.....from the live acoustic music in the dining room to the delicious food to beautiful presentation. My fiancée and I opted to eat at the bar since we are very social and wound up meeting some very nice people who has been to Potofinos a few times and shared with us a few of their favorites. My guy and I shared a scallop and risotto dish and veal chop entree. Both were incredibly tasty. Two other items worth mentioning..... Portofino's entrees were served with a house salad. That is the right way to serve a meal. It alway irks me to have to pay another 5 to 12 dollars to have a salad before my meal. I mean really, how much can a few pieces of lettuce and some carrot shavings cost? Smart restaurants add that as part of you meal leaving more complex salads to be added at a charge. By the way, the house, salad at Portofinos was excellent, fresh and not iceberg!! Mixed greens a few veggies and yummy dressing.
As for the service, the bartender (our waitress) was pleasant, friendly and attentive. The owner came to us several times and asked our opinion and answered our questions without making us feel like he could only spare 1 min and run. The owner seemed to be working right along with his staff....different jobs but extremely invested in his establishment. To end our meal we shared a creme brûlée. And finally...done right. Creamy vanilla custard, crispy sugar fired top. This is one of my favorites and I can't tell you how many times in other restaurants I've been disappointed with what should be an easy dessert. Not crunchy....smokey burnt sugar, watery custard. Portofinos nailed it.
I rarely if ever write reviews especially of food because everyone differs in their taste so I usually don't see the point but this place was worth my typing time!
I'm going back.

PS. They have a back room for weddings and party's. I didn't check it out but the gals at the bar told me.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

I have been going to Portofino's since they've re-opened. I have to honestly say it's my new favorite restaurant! The wait staff there is extremely friendly and knowledgeable. The bar tenders are a pleasure to talk to, and make some great drinks! The food is absolutely fantastic, wether your looking for a small plate or a full on dinner, everything is great. The atmosphere is elegant but comfortable. They have been having live entertainment thurs-sat nights, and the acts are great. Volume is at a nice level were you are able to hear, but also carry on a nice conversation. Wether your looking for a nice family dinner, a special date night, or a business meeting, Portofinos is the way to go. Food and drink prices are extremely reasonable especially considering the portions and quality of the food. A perfect 10/10 in my opinion. I highly recommend checking this place out!

Reviewed January 26, 2013

Dined at this establishment last night. Went based on the reviews on this site. It is a very nice restaurant and since we live in Latham it is just down the street. Good food, excellent service and reasonable prices. It is like many of the family owned italian restaurants in the Albany area. Though I will give them credit in that they do not overwhelm you with huge portions. I am a big eater, but the size was perfect. The one thing that really surprised me was the diversity of the menu and the lack of more 'traditional' italian fare. There is no lasagna or manacotti on the menu. It seems they focus more on the meat dishes rather than pasta, though their pasta (particularly the homemade pasta) is excellent. They also have various specials that all sounded very interesting.
We started with calarmari and fried mozzerlla. Both were very good. Both of us then ordered the Chicken Parm. For me and my wife the test of any italian restaurant is the parm. The red sauce was good and their chicken parm was not a standard offering but very tasty none the less. Lots of fresh basil. We then shared the tiramasu and duo of creme brulee for dessert. Both were great. Our server, Trevor, was great too. Very attentive though we never felt smothered.

The decor is a bit lacking. It appears they are using banquet table and chairs so it looks a little cheap. The ambiance is perfect though. Live music is wonderful. Not too loud, but enough so you could enjoy the music.

This will definitiely become a frequent visit for us because it is good food at a good price and close to home.