“IMPRESSIVE!”

Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Latham
Memphis, Tennessee
“IMPRESSIVE!”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

BEST SERVICE & LESS EXPENSIVE!
We had been to Lake Placid and we were staying in Albany for only one night. My husband & I had a reservation at the Holiday Inn Express, but decided to seek other accommodations b/c their shuttle service would not begin until 8am. (We also had stayed at the Holiday Inn Express when we arrived to the area, it was pricey & the bed was very uncomfortable)!

We needed to stay close to the airport & leave at 7am to catch our flight from the Albany airport. I found The Clarion Hotel at The Century House online & we were not disappointed! The rate was approx $50 less than the Holiday Inn Express, and the room was much nicer...complete w/ comfy beds, coffee service, flat screen tv, microwave & refrigerator. We arrived around 6pm...just in time for complimentary drinks & hors d'oeuvres with the hotel manager, which was a nice. We then dined at The Century House restaurant at the hotel...very cozy & relaxing..the fire was lit...it felt like home. Much nicer than your typical hotel restaurant. I had the lobster roll & arugula salad, my husband had the chilled soup of the day & the filet. Everything was excellent! Another nice touch...for every entree purchased they donate a meal to the local food bank. Since we were hotel guests, they donated 2 meals for every entree. I really liked that! We settled in for the night, borrowing a corkscrew from the front desk so we could enjoy a bottle of wine in the room. The bed was very comfortable; nicer linens. The next morning, we went downstairs to grab a bite...I was expecting the typical continental breakfast. Again, we were IMPRESSED! The menu included eggs, bacon, hash browns, bagels & muffins, cereal, coffee, juices, & milk. It was great!
We had confirmed the shuttle service & departure time w/ the front desk before going to breakfast (service begins at 7am). When we went to the front desk to leave, the clerk said the shuttle driver was running late. They had called a taxi & he waiting for us outside, AND they had paid for the taxi! NOW THAT'S SERVICE! If we return to the area, we would definitely stay at The Clarion at the Century House again! They know how to treat guests!!!

Room Tip: Hotel was very quiet; sits back off the street. The only negative, they do not have an elevator &...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Andrew S, Manager at The Century House, an Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
Thank you for mentioning our Enjoy One Share One Program!
We recently surpassed 400,000 meals served in collaboration with The
Regional Food Bank and we have you and our other valued guests to thank for
it!
One way we like to do that is by hosting our manager reception and we are
pleased you had the chance to join us.
Thank you for your review, please visit us again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Rochester, New York
Reviewed July 29, 2013

The Century Inn in Latham NY was a pleasant stay for me. It is under the Choice Hotel branding but you would never really know it the way it’s marketed. Periodically I have to go to State control meetings and this is one place meetings are held at. My co-workers had stayed there before and I just never had but was a little hesitant at first. When I heard about the colonial styling and look of it the nearby Desmond came into mine but it was never a big issue come to find out.

When I arrived the entrance is actually in a below parking lot so it’s a little confusing driving in. The area is wooded and plenty of parking is available. I was there July 17th and it looked as if a wedding was being set up. I walked into the reception area and was greeted quickly. The staff was accommodating and got me to my room quick. It was just being finished off when I arrived and they gave me room 106. I was a little concerned being too near to the lobby but it ended up not being an issue at all and actually made things quicker to find. The room was a standard double bed layout and kind of looked like a nice La Quinta Inn but with nicer furnishings. There was no complaint with the beds. They were comfortable and pillows were plentiful. The bathroom was very clean and staff offered to provided extra toiletries in the need arose. I really didn’t have any complaint with the room at all. The Iron broke but it was not at the staffs fault and informed them of this.

I had to get a taxi to a local Judo school as I did not drive and the front desk person Ashly was kind enough to call it for me which was a nice touch. That night I was hungry and the restaurant was closed but the desk staff suggested the tavern on the second floor which was very nice. You have to go up a staircase and follow some signs near a corridor. Some hotel patrons were in there for a few drinks and I saw other state employees eating so I ordered a burger which was excellent along with a couple pints of beer. The bartender Jesse was very accommodating. The prices were just right for the Latham area as I have stayed in the Albany, NY area for other events.

The next morning I woke up checked out and stowed my gear and went to the Continental breakfast area. My sense is there is not another room for this so the area is congested particularly where I was seated because the wait staff has to come through the door next to the line to replenish the food. The breakfast was OK. Fresh fruit, pancakes, eggs, bagels, juice and coffee where available. Some of the pancakes were a little rubbery but given the amount of food that is put out it’s understandable.

July 18th was very, very hot, probably 95 degrees so our state meeting was in a ballroom and was air conditioned and nice. The staff constantly brought out pictures of water.

The Century House is very nice and accommodating. The vibe is nice there and the staff friendly. We are staying there again in October.

Room Tip: Rooms on outside bank were quiet!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your attention to detail.
I will be sure to share your comments with our team, especially Ashlee and
Jesse!
We are pleased to continue to host you, and look forward to your next visit
in October.
Rochester, New York
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We stayed at the Century House for two nights to attend the Races at Saratoga. We couldnt have been more pleased. The room was a very good size, included two double beds which were so comfortable! The room included a fridge and micro wave, and we had excellent access to wifi. Housekeeping was immaculate. The parking lot was spacious and secure. There is a lovely restaurant in front ot the hotel which has a classic menu, all was well prepared and served. Very nice wine list.
Breakfast came with our room and we were pleased to find a breakfast that was similar to the British Breakfasts we had on our trip to the UK--a very freshly prepared buffet of eggs, hash, sausage, muffins, breads, cereals, fruits, etc etc. Great organic coffee!!
The staff was friendly and helpful. We will definately return to the Century House.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind words!
We're glad you enjoyed our new custom, locally roasted blend of organic
free trade coffee!
We appreciate your time and feedback, good luck at the races!
Schenectady, New York
Reviewed July 19, 2013

The Presidential Suite was spacious and comfortable. Room service was swift, and the bed was extremely comfortable. The hot and cold breakfast buffet had many offerings, and everything was fresh and replenished often.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Andrew S, Manager at The Century House, an Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
What a great review, we really appreciate you taking the time to write
it!
Having clean rooms, a comfortable atmosphere, and quick reliable service is
fundamental to our business.
I will be sure to share your comments with our team!
Best regards and safe travels!
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 16, 2013

My husband and I stayed here over the past weekend. The Hotel Is very clean, extremely comfortable beds and pillows, great TV and awesome air conditioning. I do not sleep well usually in hotels however this one... WOW what a great night sleep I had! OMG.. don't let me get started on the room service and the Restaurant! I will need a Chapter for Excellence! The food is absolutely amazing!! Every single thing that we had was literally a food experience! The Cheese Board with wine, we got from room service after a long drive. My husband had some yummy turkey sandwich.
Later that night we walked to the Restaurant (which is great because once you are there, you do not have to leave)
The staff is so warm, kind and welcoming! The wait staff as well. The Restaurant that is associated with the hotel is just so Quaint and Lovely. And as I said.. the food Amazing! My husband had cod covered with shoe string potatoes, they were all crispy like a hash brown around the cod. He loved it!
I had the Filet Mignon. and it was really perfectly cooked with a side of Creamed Spinach and homemade Mashed Potatoes.
oh & The Saratoga Sparkling water is Delicious! My husband does not drink water and loved this one!!
Obviously we were way to full to eat dessert so we went back to the room to relax, (the pool is lovely but we did not get a chance to use that or the fitness center) We were only there for 1 night.
Oh, back to dessert, we ordered the fantastic room service for dessert around 10:30 pm.
We never ever eat like this at home. This was a total romantic night that we very much were in need of with busy schedules.
The Clarion offers so much for whatever you are looking for! They even allow pets!

I hope you give them a try and your stay will be as Fantastic as ours!! :)

Room Tip: Any room is a good room. It is a very peaceful quiet place. we stayed on the first floor in room...
Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review!
Our goal is to create a memorable experience, and offer a clean, safe, and
friendly environment to all of our guests.
We know you have many choices and we appreciate you choosing us, please
come back the next time your looking for another little get away!
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We stayed here a couple of nights while we were in town for some shows at SPAC. It's an easy 20-minute drive from the venue, and the room was much less expensive than anything we would have gotten in Saratoga. It was a decent hotel, though the motif reminded me a little of a funeral home. The room was clean and comfortable. When we first turned on the AC unit, it smelled a little bit like mildew, but that went away quickly enough. The pillows on the bed weren't great, so if you're particular about your pillow, it would be wise to bring your own. Otherwise, the staff was friendly and accomodating, and the free breakfast was perfectly acceptable.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
I apologize for your discomfort, I'm sorry we weren’t aware of your needs
as we have many pillows with varying levels of firmness to satisfy every
guests needs.
Please contact us if you should ever need anything, we will do everything we
can to make your stay as enjoyable as possible
Thank you for your time to share your thoughts and experience with us.
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 9, 2013

When I'm in the Albany area I usually stay at the Century House hotel. The staff is very friendly, the rooms are clean and comfortable, it's fast & easy to book online AND they're pet friendly! The location isn't the best as far as food options or going out, however it's close to 87/787 so not far from the surrounding areas.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

We are very glad to be your number one choice in the Albany region!
We don't take that rating lightly and work hard daily to ensure we stay
number one!
Thank you for all of your compliments, we look forward to your return visit!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Latham
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Latham
La Quinta Inn & Suites Latham Albany Airport
Hampton Inn & Suites Albany Airport
Comfort Inn Latham/Albany North
Microtel Inn by Wyndham Albany Airport
Hotel Indigo Albany-Latham

Been to The Century House, an Ascend Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!