“One night stay-May 3, 2013”

The Century House, an Ascend Collection Hotel
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Latham
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Excellent room accommodations - staff is pleasant, polite, and professional. Ate dinner there-opted for a burger which I should have sent back as it was more medium rare than my preferred medium-well, but otherwise food and service were great.. Breakfast buffet has wonderful options; atmosphere is lovely.

Room Tip: I have stayed with a colleague - two double beds - room was great. This time I was traveling alone...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Andrew S, Manager at The Century House, an Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2013

A comfortable atmosphere along with a friendly knowledgeable team will set one hotel apart from the other!
Thank you for noticing these important qualities within our hotel!

We appreciate your time and your great feedback, please visit us again soon!

There are newer reviews for The Century House, an Ascend Collection Hotel

Reviewed May 4, 2013

Have stayed here approximately twenty times. Good value for overnight business stay. Consistent quality. I stay week nights, but once did a weekend, which was very noisy due to wedding in attached restaurant/banquet facility. Has decent complimentary breakfast. Attached restaurant, The Century House has excellent food. I have numerous choices nearby, but this is a good consistent choice for a business traveler.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Andrew S, Manager at The Century House, an Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Thank you for consistently choosing to stay with us for your business travels.
We are glad to hear that you enjoy The Century House Restaurant and that you appreciate the value of our services.
It is our pleasure to continue to host you; we look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed April 18, 2013

We stayed here for accepted student day at Rensselaer. It is right down the road from the school, and easy to get to from the highway. We almost drove right past it, the sign was hard to see and the hotel itself is behind the restaurant, you can't see the hotel from the road.

The entrance is around back, and to be honest, we almost turned around and left, it looked a bit unkempt and old. The rooms however were nice and very, very clean.

We ate dinner at the hotel, fantastic meal and service, highly recommend!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank mrsgeegs
Andrew S, Manager at The Century House, an Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Thank you for your time, your review and most of all, your recommendation!
We’re glad you were able to enjoy the restaurant.
We appreciate all of your insights and will certainly share them all with all of the applicable staff.
We look forward to the opportunity to serve you again!

Reviewed April 12, 2013

I am a little perplexed by a couple of the recent less than stellar reviews. Let me say our stay, so far, as we are still here for a three night stay, has been excellent. The room is great, clean, no musty smell as with another review. If any constructive criticism, I would say make a couple more outlets accessible for charging cellphones or connecting laptop. I accessed from behind tv and refrigerator. Luckily I travel with an extension cord just in case. Anyway, great courteous service from front desk staff. Well lit hallway (unlike another recent review that said it was dim). A very sophisticated Victorian look and feel. Just an all in all top notch experience. Also, had some requests for accessible room which were met beyond my satisfaction. We stay in the Albany/Saratoga County area about 8 to 12 times a year and look forward to many return stays as we look for our home away from home during our visits. A couple of other notes. Very comfortable bed; slept like a baby. The bottom line for a lot of travelers is cleanliness. Well, having stayed in numerous hotels (25+) at least, probably more like 40, over the years, as I have lost count, I can say, this hotel and room was as clean as any I have ever stayed in, and I have stayed at many fine hotels in many towns.

Room Tip: Contact front desk with any special requests. They will try their best to accommodate.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Andrew S, Manager at The Century House, an Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Mr. Falco,
I just wanted tell you that I am so glad I had to chance to meet you and your wife in person before you departed.
Your positivity and vote of confidence not only made my day, it also put a smile on the face of our entire team.
I would like to thank you for noticing the cleanliness of our rooms, friendliness of our staff, and for deciding to stay with us again in the future.
A home away from home is exactly what we strive to create, and we want you to know that you will always have one here at The Century House.
We look forward to you next visit, best regards and well wishes!

Reviewed April 12, 2013

Landmark Education holds their Albany seminar here. The hotel personnel has been extremely helpful. The room has been pre-setup most weeks and things are brought to us as soon as we need them. The hotel is wonderfully accessible just off the northway and 90.

• Stayed: April 2013

Thank you for appreciating the quality of our meeting facilities and recognizing the attentiveness of our staff!
I am very glad to hear that our team continues to respond quickly to our guests needs, and will surely let them know they are doing a great job.
We are very pleased to have the opportunity to host Landmark Education, and look forward to your next visit!

Thank you for your review!

Reviewed April 6, 2013

I chose this hotel because it had a decent rating in the Albany area, and you couldn't beat the price. The parking lot was very easy to find. The staff was friendly and check-in was quick and easy. The walls were thinner than what I'm used talking to and we could here the people next door talking and using the bathroom. There was only one outlet in the room that I could plug my computer into. Having multiple people in the same room and each of us having a cell-phone, it caused us to "fight" over who could use the outlet. The shower was nice with hot water and decent water pressure. I didn't like the fact that we had to climb a ton of stairs in order to get to the main lobby from the parking lot. The breakfast was below par. It was hard to tell if the food was fresh. The sign said there was the option for "fresh oatmeal" and that we needed to just ask an employee, but there were none to be found. They had coffee, but it was from Starbucks, and being from the West Coast, I would have much preferred it to be Dunkin' Donuts coffee. The outside of the building looked like it provided the hotel the chance to have great potentials from the outside to be a very high end hotel, but on the inside, it looked a little run down. I don't think I would stay here again unless I had to.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Andrew S, Manager at The Century House, an Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Thank you for your constructive criticism, your feedback is very important to us.
We are sorry for any inconveniences you may have experienced during your stay, but want you to know we appreciate your time and that we are definitely listening!
Everything is subject to change in the name of progress, and after hearing that your breakfast did not meet either of our expectations; our management team has rededicated itself to resolving any and all breakfast issues.
We have taken proactive steps to ensure that the quality of our breakfast meets the standards we have upheld over the past 30 years.
With renovations continuing to refurbish our hotels historic decor, and through utilizing the feedback of our guests, I can promise you that you will be very pleased if you decide to choose us again.

We hope to have the pleasure to serve you again, thank you for your review!

Reviewed April 1, 2013

The main entrance had a short staircase of steep stairs, with a mural. I thought I was tackly, but my son thought it was cool. After we checked in and walked to our room, as we were walking down the hallway, which was no well lit, my son said, I keep waiting for the Doombuggy to take me away. I knew exactly what he was talking about. The decor definitely reminded us of the Haunted mansion - minus the cobwebs. We then came accross a sign indicating that they are doing renovations. I don't think our room had been redone, since the wall paper was peeling near the ceiling, and the window frame appeared to need some scraping and painting. The beds were comfortable. There was no musty smell that I could tell, but the carpets definitely were not new. Also, our big complaint was that there was only one outlet accessable (not blocked by heavy furniture). So, we had to take turns rotating the charging of our phones and laptop. Internet was not very fast, but was adequate for what we needed to do (respond to email). The first night, I found a beetly of some type in the room, (not bed bug or cockroach, it actually looked more like a firefly type bug, but not the right season for them), and then another the next day. The breakfast, well, it didn't appear that fresh, and while we didn't get sick, I personally stuck with the fresh fruit. I tried a scone, and it tasted like a blueberry brick. My son tried the sausage and eggs, but left most of it on his plate. Not sure we will stay here again. I must say, however, the outside decor looked really nice and promising. Hopefully the interior renovations makes the improvements needed, because It really does have a lot of potential.

Room Tip: Ask if the room is one of the ones that was just recently redone.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Andrew S, Manager at The Century House, an Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2013

I would like to first thank you for your time and detailed review and allowing us to provide a meal to those in need by you choosing us for your stay.
We are glad that you noticed the mural at our hotel’s entrance; it is a depiction of the beautiful nearby Cohoes Falls, which is the 2nd largest falls in New York State. The mural was made by a locally renowned artist, Jennifer Lanne, who has appeared in Country Living magazine.
We are making great progress on our hotel renovations and again, thank you for acknowledging these plans for improvement.
I apologize for the presence of the box elder beetles; although we are aware of their existence on our nature trail, we rarely experience this type of issue within our hotel.
I can assure you that we will take the appropriate steps to eliminate such further instances.
We pride ourselves on the products and services we provide and obviously our Chef fell short of our standards during your most recent visit to our breakfast. I assure you I have shared your experience and observations with all pertinent staff to ensure we reach and exceed our service goals.
Our hope is to have you return so that you and your family may experience the true spirit of The Century House!
If I may be of further assistance now or during a stay, please always feel free to reach out to me directly.

Best Regards and Safe Travels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Latham
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Latham
Microtel Inn by Wyndham Albany Airport
Comfort Inn Latham/Albany North
La Quinta Inn & Suites Latham Albany Airport
Hampton Inn & Suites Albany Airport
Staybridge Suites Albany Wolf Rd-Colonie Center

Been to The Century House, an Ascend Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!