“Nice Place to Sleep Over”

Microtel Inn by Wyndham Albany Airport
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Latham
Bklyn, NY
“Nice Place to Sleep Over”
Reviewed April 25, 2008

Very clean, quiet well run hotel. Staff was friendly. Rooms were very decent (small - but that's Microtel). We slept well!

• Liked — clean
  • Disliked — Continental breakfast area is very small
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Michigan
Reviewed April 14, 2008

This was a nice hotel for the money. With the coupon we got from the hotel guide we found at a rest stop, it was only $50 for a night. The room was smaller than normal hotels, but it was nice and clean. The have a cushon on the ledge by the window which gives you some seating and I heard that it's very comfy. The staff was really nice and they had a nice breakfast too. I would stay here again if I was in the area.

• Liked — the rooms were clean
  • Disliked — the rooms were small
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
Condon, Oregon
Reviewed January 20, 2008

My wife and I were in Albany to have Thanksgiving with our 20-year-old son. We needed a sleeping room as we expected to spend most of our time at his apartment rather than in the hotel.

I booked the Microtel in Latham because of price and disatisfaction with the nearby Super 8 when I stayed there in July. While the typically small Microtel room (we stayed in a queen), it was reasonably clean and met our needs. The internet was reliable and the breakfast was so-so but with a fridge and microwave we were able to store our own food.

The price was extremely affordable especially for the Capital District.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — tight fit in the MICROroom
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TIMGRAVES
Scarborough
Reviewed December 22, 2007

Called up the inn one week before trip started and the staff referred me to download the coupon from roomsaver.com which had a promotion at $43 + tax for the inn. Coupon only valid for walk-in.

Printed the coupon online before arrival, and presented the coupon without problem and inn had vacancy that time even though we arrived late on a Friday evening.

Front desk staff was helpful, and arranged wife and I got into a guestroom on the second floor. Inn had been around for 14 yrs (renovated in 2005), and had always been Microtel Inn as I was told. We had to have stable wifi signal that time and requested for a guestroom with better wifi signal, and staff was helpful and got us a second floor non-smoking room.

Room was small, and as similar as another location we lived in one night around Grove City, PA. Big mirror at the back of the room above the bed and TV located above the cabinet. Room was clean but could see some furnitures showed its age. There is a fridge and a microwave oven on top on it. Bathroom was clean, but water pressure not that great for me. Noisy heater and fridge too. It woke me up twice during the night.

Breakfast had coffee, muffins, beagles, and there was a toaster too. I think I saw orange juice but didn't try though. Breakfast started from 6am until 10am which I think it's better since for those of who are not rush out in the morning don't have to get up early to eat.

Over all it's good to stay for the money I spent. If you need to access to wifi, make sure you ask for a room with better signal. There was a courtesy computer located next to the front desk for guest use.

• Liked — value since I got coupon and was cheap
  • Disliked — room size
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JDMEvo
Central Coast California
Reviewed November 13, 2007

The disco room!!! Yes, now you too can experience disco fever by staying at the Microtel. Complete with extra large wall mirror that gives you that disco inferno feeling. The only thing this place is missing is shag carpet! You just can't help but wonder what they were thinking when they designed these rooms. Pretend your bed is heart shaped and it will all make sense. The Microtel is okay if you're on a budget, and still want an upgraded version of Motel 6 with an interior cooridor...handy when it's -10 degrees. In many cases, this place is the same price as Motel 6, so it's a much better value.

The Good:
Internet access is fast, and free. Room is clean, and has a comfortable workstation and chair. Heating / cooling is great, and there's plenty of parking. They have a free newspaper in the a.m. in the lobby where you can also grab some low grade danish, coffee, and juice. There's even some fruit. Good price, good neighborhood, many places to eat nearby. Cheap gas station next door where you can also buy a few drinks and snacks.

The Bad:
This one must be independently owned. I had a lazy morning before my flight, but this seemed almost intolerable to the old man maid that appeared to be a grandpa in the family owned property. Every time I opened the door to put something in the car, or grab something in the lobby, he was there right outside my door diligently waiting, staring, and even trying to see into my room...This was a major pain in the butt!
The TV is great, but forget about watching it if your working at the desk. The desk is situated so you can't see the tv, which is way up above your head to the side. To watch the tv while working on your computer you must do the following: look into the mirror above the desk into the mirror above the bed on the other side of the room. Then you can watch the tv through a double image. Fun stuff!

• Liked — Price, location
  • Disliked — family member maid that waited outside my room, and even tried to see inside it when I opened the door
  • Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
3 Thank California_Wine
Long Island, NY
Reviewed July 21, 2007

I stayed here once before in 2006 and had a tug-of war with a man from the housekeeping dept. who refused to let go of my overnight bag and insisted he take it to the car. He was aggressive and rude. I complained to mgt. and I was given the impression they fired him. I decided to give them a 2nd chance and stayed last night with my wife. The room was clean and cheap enough, but the mattress was so hard and uncomfortable that we were up all night. Also, we asked for a 2nd blanket and had none ... they gave us a sheet. In addition, the A/C was going on/off all night... no fan only setting... noisy.. disruptive. I know they are #1 with JD Power, but all Microtels are apparently individually owned/operated. Next time I'll pay another $50 and sleep.

Stayed July 2007
Montreal
Reviewed June 3, 2007

On our way down to NYC with our 1 year old, we decided to cut our drive in half. Stayed at the Microtel Latham, NY and got a rate of $55! Room was a bit small, but hey we paid $55! I strongly recommend.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Latham
La Quinta Inn & Suites Latham Albany Airport
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Latham
TownePlace Suites Latham Albany Airport
Best Western Albany Airport Inn
Hotel Indigo Albany-Latham
Hampton Inn & Suites Albany Airport

Been to Microtel Inn by Wyndham Albany Airport? Share your experiences!