“Like staying with the Munsters-A Horror!!!”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Latham
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Latham
Reviewed August 8, 2010

My fiance and I had to travel to the Capital area several times this summer to attend to some business with his new company and family activities as well-we decided to stay at the new-Holiday Inn Express in Latham because it was central to all of the different places we had to be, and it looked like a really nice hotel-and it was new(I guess they consider 3 years old new)-What a horror show this hotel turned out to be. We arrived at the hotel after a long drive and were instantly greated by protesters outside the hotel screaming at us(employees on strike)-yelling things like "check out-don't stay here!!!" (We should have listened!) What a welcome after a long day. The welcome became better when we got inside. A rude-arrogant woman at the front desk with a European accent(employees said she was Russian) was argueing with a customer in front of us-she was very rude and unprofessional.Luckily we weren't checked in by her and went to our room. My fiance was very tired(he had been up since 4am-taking care of some loose ends with his business)and wanted to take a quick nap before getting ready for a family function.When we got to our room we were greeted with another horror. The room was about 1,000 degrees-but better yet wasn't clean!!! There were dirty towels in the bathroom, hair in the tub-dirty bathroom floor-full garbage containers- old newspapers-and flies and insects on the windowsils-and no soap or shampoo. I started to go to the lobby when I ran into a housekeeper. I told her about our problem and I have to say she was wonderful(I feel horrible I don't remember her name) She said it wasn't her room but she would help us out. She said this happens often because they are always shorthanded and have alot of issues. I asked if that was because of the protest and she said "No- the owner is cheap!!!"-well at least she was honest!!!She cleaned very quickly-and I said it was good enough-we weren't spending much time in the room, she was such a sweetheart and so funny-the highlight of our stay!!!At that point our room was still boiling and the AC was running but the air coming out wasn't cold. My fiance called down and the front desk said they would send someone up to take a look at it. I decided to take care of some things on my laptop for my job while he was trying to nap-but guess what-no wireless!!! I called down to the desk and they said to come down and pick up a cord to plug into ethernet.The cord they gave me was so short I had to rearrange my desk to work.But guess what-still no connection!!!! I called down again-and miss KGB sounded like I was bothering her and told me THAT I HAD TO CALL THE WIRELESS COMPANY??? What-Are you kidding???I was furious-but my fiance said don't worry I could use the computer that night at his aunts house.I calmed down and he just started to fall asleep(which wasn't easy between the sauna-like conditions and constant chanting from the outside protesters) when a person started knocking at the door.It was the guy to look at the AC(one hour after we called)-this is where it gets good(if this was a movie-not a hotel!!!)The guy can hardly speak english and started playing with the TV!! My fiance said the TV is fine sir its the AC-not the TV that has the problem.He starts playing with the TV again-my fiance walks him over to the AC unit and he played with it for a minute and just shrugged his shoulders!!! We said forget it-we'll deal with it. At that point we decided skip the napand get ready and go to our function.We left and passed the rude Russian woman in the lobby-we were going to tell her about the AC-but to no surprise she was berating an employee in front of everyone.Everyone at our family function had a great laugh about our hotel and said maybe we were on CANDID CAMERA or PUNKED!!! When we got back to the hotel we stopped and were chatting with the Front Desk person-who was nice but seemed like a zombie-we told him about the AC problem-and he said maintenance wasn't around??? We said it's OK-we'll deal with it-it kind of cooled down outside anyway.Out of just small talk I told him there was a wire hanging out from the bottom-could that be the problem-his response-"No-that was probably from the person who stayed there before you-working on it"-???My fiance said-you let your customers work on your Air Conditioners-with a straight face he said-"Sure-if it's broken-why not?"-It was at that point I started seriously looking around for TV cameras-I asked who the Manager was because we would like to talk to them when they were there-and what shouldnt have surprised us-it was the mean RUSSIAN WOMAN!!!-well forget it-we'll just stay at another hotel next time-Fittingly we left the next morning to protesters yelling on a bullhorn-they stopped us and we actually talked to them for about 15 minutes.They said they were ex-employees who actually were just trying to make things better for not only them but the guests as well-honestly they were the most competent people we talked to in our entire stay-the hotel was like the Munsters TV show-where the monsters viewed the normal people as the weird ones-the most normal people seemed to be the protesters-we told one nice older gentleman about some of our exploits-and he said "believe it or not-there have been times where guests have actually joined their picket line"-I said sir in this place I would believe anything!!! Needless to say for the rest of our times we are in ALbany-we are staying at a well established hotel and are thrilled. I have stayed at many hotels in the past and have never seen service so bad where I was compelled to write about it-and I am also writing to the Holiday Inn Corporation-I know this-my fiance and I will never forget our HOTEL HORROR SHOW!!!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank marcyJ

Reviewed August 5, 2010

Fortunately, I didn't read these reviews because we must be talking about another hotel.
We had the most wonderful experience there this week!! HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!
This place is WONDERFUL!! We've just returned. We originally booked at the Hampton Inn ( more about this hotel in another review----negative) down the street which was recommended. We needed a handicap accessible room plus 3 other rooms. I was told by Hampton Inn staff that they had a fully accessible room. Someone from ADA should check this out. It's the teeniest room and our friends' wheelchair couldn't move around the room. So, I went to the front desk and they were very good about us changing hotels and one of the staff members called around to see what was available and the Holiday Inn Express was. We went to check out the accessible room just to be certain and from the opening of the front door we knew it was going to be a special experience! Victoria & Alisa at the front desk couldn't have been nicer and more empathetic. They gave us a few keys to check out the handicap rooms and they were all spacious, clean and beautifully appointed. There was one with a roll in shower which he needed and voila!! they had us at go! While we were checking rooms we met up with another staff member, Michelle from Sales, who helped us around. It's an AWESOME hotel. Centrally located off I-87 and on Rte.9 easily accessible to the Saratoga track. Near restaurants. But, more than that, the front desk was fantastic. Actually, everyone was great including Karen in the dining area. She kept us fed and made sure we had fresh coffee. The entire experience was extremely favorable. They're doing something right!!
Having worked in the hotel biz for many years I know how I'd like guests to be treated and they hit it right on!! Wonderful staff!! Keep up the good work! I HIGHLY recommend this hotel! We will always return to this hotel and recommend to to everyone!

Cheers,
Contessa

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank contessa1
Reviewed July 15, 2010

Hotel is beautiful and clean, but the managment is horrible! Hotel would not honor group rate that was CONTRACTED with our club. Michelle and Victoria are the most unprofessional management our group has ever dealt with. Not only did they raise the rate on us, they told us if we did not like it, find some place else, knowing this was a huge tournament weekend and all hotels were booked solid, leaving people no choice but to pay the higher price. Which, was not the same for everyone. Some people paid $119, some paid as much as $147 a night! Book your group elsewhere is my advice!!

• Stayed: July 2010
vpolonsky, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Latham, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2010

The contracted rate was for the 2 nights stay. Guests' schedule had changed last minute and they have decided to stay one night only. We advised that the regular rate will apply and the group rate is no longer applicable since the whole purpose of us offering this low rate was to have this business for two days. All contractual obligations were met.

Reviewed July 7, 2010

I was talked in to staying at this hotel by the staff after my favorite hotel was full. I stayed there back in May and had a TERRIBLE experience (loud guests from a wedding, I think). Since that wasn't the hotel's fault (although I do feel they handled it poorly) and given they comped 1 of our night's, we decided to give it another try. Well, sadly, it will be our last. The rate was way too high for what we got. The breakfast SUCKED - I do NOT like heated up frozen food - either do it right or don't do it at all - I consider it a slap in the face to offer me such crap! Anyway, the final straw was the roach trap we found (not to mention the spider and centi-or-milli pede -ICK). I'm going back to the Century House...and if they're full, I'll look elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank goodyorkie
Reviewed June 14, 2010

I have stayed in this hotel 2-3 times a month for the past year. After my last stay involved wrongily charged credit cards, a faulty (according to the fire dept) fire alarm system and a dirty room with no bath toiletries- all surrounded by rude, careless staff- I will NEVER stay here again- I will NEVER suggest this hotel to friends and family- I will most likely NEVER trust another hotel or business managed by Bullock Hospitality. I WILL however stay at the Hampton Inn down Route 9 in Cohoes- as I did this past weekend and it was incredibly pleasant.

Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank travelingfroma2z
Reviewed April 23, 2010

I stayed recently at the Holiday Inn Express in Latham, NY. Having enjoyed my experiences at many other Holiday Inn Express properties over the years, I must say that this location is at the bottom of my list. As a Priority Club member, I usually receive a welcome gift upon checking in which was never mentioned at this hotel. There is limited wireless in the lobby and 1st floor, so you need an ethernet cable to hook up to the network. Unfortunately, I was unable to establish a network link and after several calls to the front desk, I was told to call the network service provider's 888 number for assistance. This proved frutile as no one would answer the telephone. Needless to say, I was quite disappointed that I was unable to use my laptop computer while staying at this hotel.
The buffet breakfast was standard Holiday Inn Express, the bed was very lumpy and uncomfortable, and the pickets outside were a constant nuisance. I would not recommend this hotel to business or leisure travelers. I suggest that you try the Holiday Inn Express on Western Avenue instead. I certainly will the next time that I am in Albany!!!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank Simmrouter
Reviewed April 11, 2010

Stayed here April, 2010 and had a great experience. Very friendly staff, nice clean rooms, great price and a very good breakfast. Would stay here again in a heartbeat. Justin at the front desk was the most helpful person I have dealt with in quite some time at any hotel that I have stayed.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Latham
Hampton Inn & Suites Albany Airport
Hotel Indigo Albany-Latham
The Century House, an Ascend Collection Hotel
La Quinta Inn & Suites Latham Albany Airport
Staybridge Suites Albany Wolf Rd-Colonie Center
TownePlace Suites Latham Albany Airport

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Latham? Share your experiences!