“Good experience”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Latham
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Latham
Reviewed November 30, 2013

I did not have any major issues during my 3 day/2 night stay here. I was attending a conference hosted at the hotel, which the hotel was more than accommodating for. They kept the meeting rooms clean and stocked with coffee and water. The front desk was pleasant to deal with when my roommate and I had problems with our keys. I also thought they did a wonderful job with breakfast. Usually, less expensive hotels give you cardboard bagels and some fruit, but the spread was wonderful. The gym is not the greatest, though they have a deal with one very close by. The pool is not "full size", though I found it to be adequate for swimming laps and was an acceptable temperature. The bed was truly awesome. I usually wake up with a sore back after sleeping somewhere other than my own, but that didn't happen here :)

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Trevor B, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Latham, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2014

Dear Bethany P,

Thank you so much for letting us know how your stay at our property was! I am delighted that everything from the public areas to the room met your expectations. Our staff works hard to make sure each and every interaction with our guests is a memorable one and that you feel welcome at our hotel. I have passed your comments along to the staff so they can see the results of their hard work! We hope you stop by the next time you are in the Troy area!

Reviewed November 14, 2013

I stayed in this hotel with a group in August of 2013. The group consisted of thirteen baseball players and their families playing in a tournament. While the rooms were decent, the service at this hotel is sub-par at best. The staff was completely unaccommodating to our group. All our group wanted to do was gather in the breakfast room at night and chat but instead we were completely and blatantly lied to by the front-desk staff in an attempt to keep us away from the room. We were told that the breakfast room was having the carpet cleaned (at 9pm at night.....seriously?). When we were permitted to enter the room in the mornings the food was soggy and bland. The pool was freezing and the hot tub timer was broken. The fitness room also leaves a lot to be desired for anyone who likes working out. Finally, if you get stuck in the addition away from the central building I hope you like walking. This will be my first and last stay at a IHG property. I would advise travelers to find other options and avoid at all costs this poor hotel.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
TrevorHIE, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Latham, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2013

Dear Steve_Worldwide,

Thank you for choosing us while in Albany for your sons baseball tournament and for leaving us feedback. Our hotel is committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities. We sincerely regret we fell short of our goal in this instance. As you can imagine with many teams in house at once it can be quite busy at times. In the future, if you call ahead you can rent one of our many banquet spaces for your team/parents to enjoy. When we have more than 1 team staying with us, to make it fair, we ask that arrangements be made in advance to insure all teams be accommodated comparatively.

Again thank you for the review and your feedback.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

We checked into the Holiday Inn at 400 Louden Rd in Latham on 10/19, planning too stay until 10/26. Second day of stay, fire alarm went off. We went down the stairs to front lobby, then went outside with other guests. Management was attempting to deactivate the alarm. At no point did any member of the staff alert any guest or let us know what was going on. We checked out of that hotel and went to the Hampton Inn. We could not have imagined if this was a real emergency!!! Very disappointed in the Holiday Inn. Will not be staying at any Holiday Inn. After this incident. It seems to us that they are not interested in their guest's health, safety, and welfare. The staff in this Holiday Inn definitely needs training in safety procedures.

Room Tip: Skip this hotel completely, and go to Hampton Inn near the Airport!!!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
TrevorHIE, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Latham, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

Dear John K,

Thank you for the review of our hotel. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I'm very sorry for the problem you experienced during your stay with us and any inconvenience it caused you. Though we would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts. Our guest safety is of top priority and I want to apologize for the lack of communication on our part. I'll most definitely take heed of your suggestions and provide the necessary training to those in need of it.

I hope we can regain your loyalty in the future and show you how we've improved. Thank you again for the review.

Warm Regards,

-Trevor

Reviewed October 21, 2013

We just finished a week long wine tour of NY with a group of 20 friends. I choose this hotel because we all were flying out of the Albany airport and this hotel was close and had a free shuttle. Well, what they failed to even mention on the website or in any of our communications setting up our group was that the shuttle is a tiny little minivan and it only runs limited hours AFTER 8 am. Half our group had early morning flights and had to hire taxis to get to the airport thus defeating the purpose of staying at this hotel. The staff didn't seem to care about this at all.

Other than that the room was nice and the breakfast was decent, on par with what you should expect from the Holiday Inn Express brand. The hotel stays very very busy and so that could have been an issue for some.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Dear MrBrandonL,

First and foremost please accept our apologies for the issues encountered during your recent stay with us. Our hotel offers complimentary shuttles to the airport from 8am to 11pm. I want to apologize for the confusion regarding the available drop off times.

Thank you again for bringing your concerns to my attention.

Sincerly,

Reviewed October 18, 2013

Monthly, I travel to the Albany area for business and frequently stay at this hotel. While never outstanding accommodations, the hotel is adequate. My last stay will be my last. I was placed in a room with a very comfortable bed - I believe it was broken. My colleague had a similar experience - a very poor bed. The carpets and room furniture were stained - in general not a very clean feel to the room. The dedicated elevator to this section of the hotel was very dirty. Coffee had been spilled and wasn't cleaned the entire length of my stay - two nights. I requested a move to a new room and after no response for most of the day, I called again. My move was accommodated.

Room Tip: If you stay, book a room in the main building - not the annex. Book the rear of the hotel to avoid...
1  Thank Jojofasulo

Dear Jojofasulo,

Thank you for choosing us while in Albany and for leaving us feedback. Our hotel is committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities. We sincerely regret we fell short of our goal in this instance. We've taken all the necessary measures to correct these issues and hope to retain you as a guest at our hotel. Please do let us show you how we've improved. Your patronage and support to the hotel is very important to us and we hope you give us a chance to serve you again in the near future.

Best regards,

Reviewed October 18, 2013

I arrived late at the hotel after a very long series of delayed plane rides. When I asked for a bottle of water, it turned out that no one had bothered to stock the fridge. The check in guy said he would go look and bring some to my room. 30 minutes later I returned to the front desk to look for my water and he told me he couldn't find any and was wearing his coat ready to leave. Apparently the thought never occurred to him to update me on his progress.

A different desk person went to the other side of the hotel and found me a couple of bottles of warm water to take to my room.

As a Platinum Elite member I was upgraded to an 'executive room' with a whirlpool, but like a poorly told joke, I just didn't get it. It was unnecessarily big, for no reason other than to be big. The space was poorly used with dated furniture. But worst of all was that in this huge room the shower was one of the smallest I've ever seen in a hotel. It was an old school walk in one person shower, with a tiny ledge to hold the soap. Forget taking multiple products in with you, that's not going to happen. It also had the annoying feature of occasionally blasting me with scalding hot water; a feature I could have lived without.

The room was also right at the far end of the hotel which was 300 steps (I counted) from the front desk.

On the second day of my stay someone spilled coffee on the floor of the elevator, which didn't get properly cleaned. So the elevator kind of stank for most of my stay.

Ultimately, I just wasn't impressed. There are other hotels nearby that surely are better.

They have a big sign in the lobby saying, "If you can't give us a 10..." Right now they should probably be shooting for a five as a more realistic goal.

Room Tip: Try and make sure they keep you in the main hotel tower, unless you enjoy lots of unnecessary walkin...
1  Thank ZCT808

Dear ZCT808,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. In the future we have Executive parking in the back of the building to avoid the long walk through the hotel to your room.

Thank you again for your comments, and continued loyalty as an IHG Rewards Platinum Club member.

Regards,

-Trevor

Reviewed October 14, 2013

My husband & I stayed here on a Saturday night. I had booked a king size bed the week before. We were given a 2 queen sized beds suite instead. When I called the desk, they said they had king rooms booked. I asked how that could be, since I had booked a king & it had been confirmed. Did not get a satisfactory answer. There was so much noise outside the room. I thought if I closed the window it would dissipate. Wrong! It must be really inferiorly built, because I could hear the people below in the courtyard yelling and talking, like they were right next to me. I called the desk several times about this. By the way this was 11 pm. They said they would go talk to the people, they would send security, and lastly, "the party's over now, so people will be leaving." At this point it was about 12:30 am. There was no relief from the partier's noise until about 1:30 am. I don't know how it is here during the week, but be forewarned if you stay on a Saturday night, with a room overlooking the courtyard, and you want to sleep. Needless to say, I would never stay here again. I'd rather pay more, and get a calm, quiet night's sleep. Not that $133 is cheap! When we checked out, I was asked how the stay was, and I did not hold back. I wanted to make out a written review right then, but the guy at the desk said he didn't have any to give me. I said, "that's okay, I'll write one online instead."

Room Tip: Stay away from courtyard
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Ava S

Dear Ava S,

Thank you so much for your feedback.
First and foremost please accept my sincerest apologies for the issues encountered during your recent stay with us.

In regards to your concerns our courtyard is open to both guests of the hotel and patrons of the restaurant so at times it does become busy. I apologize for the confusion regarding your specific room type and the error on our part. In the future, and we hope you stay again, we will be more than happy to put you up in one of our King suites in the main tower next time. Our staff strives to ensure that our guests enjoy a comfortable stay with exceptional service, and I will assure you that your feedback will help us improve our customer service experience.

Thank you again for bringing your concerns to my attention and you may contact me at tbuczkowskihie@gmail.com with any additional comments or concerns you may have.

Warm Regards,

Holiday Inn Express and Suites Latham NY

Also consider these accommodations in or near Latham
The Century House, an Ascend Collection Hotel
La Quinta Inn & Suites Latham Albany Airport
Microtel Inn by Wyndham Albany Airport
Hampton Inn & Suites Albany Airport
Comfort Inn Latham/Albany North
TownePlace Suites Latham Albany Airport

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Latham? Share your experiences!