“Big Disappointment”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Latham
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Latham
Reviewed August 12, 2013

My family and I booked two rooms for a weekend to attend a family birthday party. We were disappointed with this hotel. It was the first time we stayed there. The rooms were not very clean. One of the bathrooms had a clogged bathroom sink. The rooms were either too warm or too cold. It would be ideal if there was a fan with high and low speeds to allow a better circulation of air. We attempted to eat the complimentary breakfast but our stomachs turned when we saw one employee who was handling garbage was also handling the food preparation without plastic gloves. The eggs and coffee were watery. We did not eat the breakfast and went to a restaurant to spend money we should not have. The pool was cold. I thought it was suppose to be heated. It is in a good location. The staff was pleasant. We needed to switch one of our reserved rooms because it smelled like smoke even though the entire hotel is suppose to be non-smoking. A staff member helped me with that change. The only plus side is the restaurant on site. I believe it is called On Tap. It does have a bar atmosphere. If one has a family, eating outside on a patio when weather is nice is better to avoid the bar. We had entertainment with a singer singing a variety of music, mostly from 70s and 80s and earlier. It was country, soft rock, etc type music. The food was excellent but a little bit pricey. However, for the quality it was worth it. If On Tap could change the restaurant design to a better atmosphere inside to accommodate families, that would help since the food quality is in their favor. The chef came outside also to see how everyone's meals were. The rooms are too pricey without quality. There is a gift shop but it looks like a junk shop. More choices would be ideal. Without the restaurant, it would have been a complete disappointment.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Latham, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Dear sandlot,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay with us. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. We are sorry our hotel did not live up to your expectations and regret you were not satisfied with the breakfast service. Please be assured that all comments are acted upon and used to improve the products and service we provide to our guests.

Connie D

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Let me start by saying that my daughters and I stayed at this Holiday Inn Express 2 years ago and had a great experience. Thus, I had no qualms about booking again this year and we were all looking forward to the 4-night stay. This hotel is convenient to Saratoga Springs and cheaper than the hotels right in Saratoga, although I did notice the nightly rate had jumped about $40 in the two-year period.

We were offered the option of the 1st or 5th floor and we chose the 5th, and the two queen bed suite was very clean. At around 1 a.m. the second night I was awakened to what sounded like 10-year-olds racing up and down the halls screaming and banging on doors. I waited to see if they would quiet down and after a half-hour they didn't, so I called the front desk and the night clerk told me that a busload had just checked in but would come upstairs herself to tell them to keep the noise down, which they did. It wasn't the hotel's fault and it was taken care of, although a friend of mine who was staying on the 3rd floor had the same problem.

The third day of our stay we were out from very early in the morning to about 3 p.m., and we wanted to take showers, but housekeeping had only left a bath mat and taken all the towels. I called and was told that all the towels were in the dryer, and housekeeping would be up as soon as some were dry. Two hours later I had to call again and finally some were brought up. Management slipped a note under my door apologizing for the delay.

But management did not give me a written note for what transpired the fourth day - again, we had been out all day, coming back to the room about 10:45 p.m. My older daughter told me that our door was open - I looked and yes, it sure was. It was dark inside the room and we were all afraid that a.) someone was lurking inside and/or b.) we had been robbed. Not that there were any major valuables in the room but still, we were concerned. I debated about calling the front desk before proceeding into the room but decided to open the door, flick on the light, and carefully check it out. Fortunately nothing was missing and there wasn't anyone in the room.

I immediately called the front desk and complained, and was told that probably housekeeping had forgotten to close the door, and my concerns would be relayed to the housekeeping supervisor and that they were very sorry. The next morning, as I checked out, I told the front desk staff again and the two young gentlemen working offered a meek apology. It appeared as if I was disturbing them from looking at something on the computer.

At any rate, I was disappointed in this year's trip to the Holiday Inn Express, and will have to think long and hard before I go back next year.

Room Tip: Upper floors don't have all the noise associated with the free breakfast room on the first floor...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Latham, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Dear LindaDoc12,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We are sorry for the inconvenience the lapses in the hotels service may have caused. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. Rest assured, your comments will be used for review and actions will be taken accordingly to ensure similar incidents could be avoided.

While we understand that your stay was less than satisfactory, we hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Krysllin G

Reviewed August 8, 2013

We have stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Latham, NY twice on the same trip. First time we were there to ask for help in finding another hotel where we had reservations. The staff were kind enough to spend time helping us try to locate the other hotel, and when we couldn't they offered to match their rate and gave us one of their last rooms. Appreciated their efforts so much that we made a point of staying there on return. Rooms fine, clean, quiet. Pool nice, though small and gets easily crowded. Good breakfast, though they should have some trays. Would be nice if the restaurant provided room service and was not so expensive. Very accessible to 1-87 Thruway. Know that this hotel is popular with Saratoga race track goers and fills up quickly on race weekends.

Room Tip: Area around the elevators tends to be crowded, we chose rooms at the end of the hallway.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Robert G, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Latham, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2015

Lisa C from Washington, DC. We love having guests like you who stay twice during the same trip!!!! Thank you for choosing our hotel as we know there is plenty of competition out there.
Thank you again, Bob Greene, General Manager

Reviewed August 3, 2013

Can not believe this hotel, they can't even get back to the customer. I had a problem with forgetting an item in my room. I called 3 times without a call back, then I called back and spoke with the manager and he was so rude and inconsiderate. They say on the wall "if not completely satisfied your night is free" I am not looking for a free night, but just goes to show that they don't really care about the customer. Then I sent an email to the corporate office and they couldn't even respond. UNBELIEVABLE how customers are treated at this hotel. I will never stay at a Holiday Inn Express again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Latham, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2013

Dear karen g,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Latham, NY. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Dhan M

Reviewed July 31, 2013

After staying at so many Priority Club hotels in USA and Canada, finally they upgraded me to a suite room, particularly Tuscany Suite. The suite is unbelievably huge with jacuzzi and full kitchenette. We really enjoy our stay in suite while the breakfast is similar to any Holiday Inn Express hotels. As a nice gestures, the receptionist offered us to grab any drinks available in small pantry from mineral water, soft drinks, or energy drinks.

The location is outside Albany but not far from huge mall. Since we only have short stay at this hotel, we didn't utilize the facility at the hotels. However, I consider this is a huge Holiday Inn Express as they have different wings for executive rooms and suites.

In general, we are delighted with the upgrade and the room is a true suites.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

It was a very nice and clean hotel. My husband and I stayed one night and the room was fine and the staff was helpful and friendly. I felt bad that the management made the front desk staff stand up at their post without any chairs or stools to sit down on though.

Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

Booked a bridal shower here in the Gazebo attached to On Tap. Event was to begin at 11am.We showed up at 1030 and the eoom was a mess from the night befoew. Dirty linens, dirty floor, bottles let all over the bar. Had to hunt down staff to get set up. I ended up cleaning the whole room myself even had to go behi d the bar and collect the garbage and clean the windows myself. There was blood and puke in the bathroom, no paper towels. At 1130 I had to walk in the kitxhen so that we could get water for our guests. At 12 I had to walk back I. The kitchen to ask where the food and coffee was. It was a total disaster. The banquet manager kept telling me he was short staffed because he had weddinga going on but to us the bridal shower was as important as a wedding. Then at the end for an event planned for 35 people they gave us 8 slices of cake and 12 brownies and told us that's all they had ordered. When it came time to pay they took off the room charge and adjusted the beverage charge trying to still charge us $450 for cold cuts and pasta salad. The food was bland the service was non existant and the general manager refused to come speak to us. I spent a week leaving messsages for the GM with no return. Then they called us today to collect payment. When I explained to the sales agent what happened she said shed have the GM call me back. She then called me to sayit was compd and told me the GM again was too busy to call himself

• Stayed: June 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Latham, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Dear ambular1584,

Ferdinand G
IHGCare

Also consider these accommodations in or near Latham
La Quinta Inn & Suites Latham Albany Airport
Hampton Inn & Suites Albany Airport
The Century House, an Ascend Collection Hotel
Hilton Garden Inn Troy
Staybridge Suites Albany Wolf Rd-Colonie Center
1 mi away
TownePlace Suites Latham Albany Airport

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Latham? Share your experiences!