“Good hotel, however opportunities for improvement.”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Latham
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Latham
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I am a hotel employee of a Holiday Inn Express, so I do know on a daily basis how difficult it can be to have a day in the industry without a hiccup or two, so I decided to write this after my stay, in hopes to accurately describe my stay.

I went to Latham to visit a family member who is a student at Siena College.. I do indeed recommend this location to any Siena parents who want something close by and easy to get to the college, but not directly on campus.

My first impression at checkin was a good one. At the time of booking, the available room type was not specified, (Just the way the booking on my end worked out, NOTHING to do with the Holiday Inn Express itself.) I went into my room, and it was two beds, so I did return to the front desk and asked about the possibility of a room with one bed. The guest service agent was very happy to help while under a great deal of stress at that time, being a lobby full of people, and it sounded like someone on hold. I was appreciative of his assistance.

The room was clean, the color scheme was soothing, I was pleased with just a couple little problems,

1) The bathroom sink was clogged, and something I battled with Friday and Saturday. By Sunday morning, the water would not drain at all.

2) The room was unbearably hot, even with the AC on, Saturday night, I gave up, and removed the cover from the ac, only to find that the ac which had been on before I even checked into the room was frozen, the coil was caked with 1/2 inch of ice, which I then took a blow dryer and my room key and removed all of the ice, so I could make it work properly, cutting my hand in the process. I was psyched to have it working flawlessly for Saturday night into Sunday morning.

3) Saturday afternoon, after a very long morning out, I returned to the room, to find it had been cleaned, but the housekeeper forgot to put towels in, I figured it was no big deal and that I could always pick some up after dinner that night, so I decided to take a nap. Mid-nap the housekeeper returned with them, which was slightly frustrating.

4) Sunday morning sometime around 10:00 am, the door opened again, it was the housekeeper, attempting to clean the room when we had not checked out yet, which left me wondering if anyone communicates to the housekeeping staff, which checkouts have left, and which ones are still there.

As i said, the room was nice, and nicely furnished however, opportunities for improvement would also consist of the mold in the caulking in the shower, dirt in the tub, and urine stain in the caulking around the toilet.

I hope those things are watched a little more in the future.

Room Tip: To anyone staying at this hotel, maybe avoid the first floor. People always have a concern with b...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Latham, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

Dear Trowser,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Latham, NY.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed October 1, 2012

Delta screwed up so I'm in Latham another night. They put me up at HIE Latham, I called from the airport and the OWNER picked me and 2 other stranded Delta-sufferers up to help his guys at the front desk out because they were so busy. He had even brought us cold bottled water that was waiting in our cup holders in the ultra clean shuttle. His guys at the front desk were super friendly and professional. He even gave us a drink on the house from the sports bar that is in the complex.
Great room.
Thanks for going the extra mile.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I was quite surprised that this was a HIE but also a highrise. I love being above noise. Sure the breakfasts are predictable (read that in another review of this property) but you really can make your own variety each day since the selection is good. Access to shopping, restaurants, the airport, and Albany are all great since the Northway is right there.

Room Tip: Upper floor was great for quiet and a decent view
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We have reserved Hampton Inn Albany Downtown hotel on the way from Canada to the U.S. It was the end of the Labor Day weekend and the hotel was hosting 3 weddings at the same time. We checked a room that was supposed to be quiet and found it outdated, unattractive with view of a parking lot and noisy establishments. So, we decided to cancel the reservation and look around for something more suitable.
Holiday Inn Express in Latham was a great find. Off the main road but in the quiet corner, the hotel is brand new and well maintained. Front desk employee was very friendly and found us a room on the top floor which exactly fit our expectations. The beds were comfortable, sheets clean, pillows soft and carpets clean. Bathroom was a good size with all expected amenities. The only nuisance was incorrectly set flat screen TV with a bit unclear picture.
Morning breakfast was very efficient and satisfactory. We would definitely stay here again once in the area as it was good quality and very economical.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I have stayed at a lot of Holiday Inn Express, but we will never stay at this one again. We stayed (2) nights and the Breakfast did not change and because we were on our Motorcycle and it was pouring rain, we ate at the reastaurant, On Tap, because of all the functions they had going on, the main dining, was closed to patrons, we and other patrons complained about the service. It took us 25 Minutes to get service, after asking for it twice. The people on the side of us, had waited over an hour for their food and there was so much confusion, we ended up with (2) servers who were arguing over who had our table. I finally stated that we DID NOT CARE WHO SERVED US, we just wanted to make the POOL before closing @ 11pm, and it was approximately (1) hour and (3/4) before we got out of a reastaurant that was not busy, with (3) waiters(waitresses) and a Bartender. It also took approximately 20 min. and a walk to the server to get our drink order, of just (2) coke.

Room Tip: Eat somewhere else
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Latham, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Dear ThatSpecialPlace,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the restaurant service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed August 31, 2012

My wife and I stayed at this hotel which is conveniently located near routes 9 and 90 after having spent the day at Saratoga Racetrack . We enjoyed and appreciated the friendly and helpful staff as well as the clean and comfortable suite that we were given. The restaurant/bar served very good entrees at reasonable prices. The room came with free breakfast and had indoor or outdoor patio seating. All in all this Holiday Inn Express was one of the best that we have stayed in.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I stayed here earlier this month before a flight to Greenville, SC, and it served that purpose perfectly. About ten minutes to Albany Airport, and an easy drive. Not much around the hotel, but room was free for me using a PointBreak award. Room was clean, and staff were friendly. Would easily stay here again to make an early morning flight.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank boddicker52
Also consider these accommodations in or near Latham
La Quinta Inn & Suites Latham Albany Airport
Hampton Inn & Suites Albany Airport
The Century House, an Ascend Collection Hotel
Hilton Garden Inn Troy
Staybridge Suites Albany Wolf Rd-Colonie Center
1 mi away
TownePlace Suites Latham Albany Airport

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Latham? Share your experiences!