“This Is the Best Hotel in the Area”

Hotel Indigo Albany-Latham
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Latham
Reviewed August 9, 2010

After the Residence Inn (Marriott), Latham, New York, would not honour their confirmed reservation when we arrived after a 7 hour trip from outside Toronto, our family in the USMC found us this hotel and we should thank the Marriott for being so underhanded as to refuse to honour our reservation or we never would have found this hotel. We were treated like royalty, the suites are elegant and trendy, the people are unbelievably friendly and helpful and they love pets so we can take our dogs next time (we are already reserved for October). We never would have known about this gem because when we travel we usually go for a well-known hotel with luxury suites. Every room has hardwood floors, granite counters, framed mirrors, seamless glass showers, king-sized beds, artwork, flatscreen, and trendy decor. Thank goodness for people like this in the industry when large hotels like the Residence Inn, Latham NY (Marriott) won't go out of their way to help a traveller who has a confirmed reservation that they won't honour.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PEMOshawa

Reviewed July 28, 2010

Reserved a room at the suggestion of one of my colleagues. Didn't have time (as I usually do) to check TripAdvisor. This hotel is a great find. Can't imagine why the reviews aren't much better. Stayed for business - so the location is perfect. It's on a main thoroughfare - close to the airport - certainly not a 'resort' setting. The rooms are just beautiful - clean, uncluttered. There was relatively little noise from the street, the air conditioner sounded like an air conditioner, and there was absolutely no sound coming from the hallway or other rooms. The staff at the reception desk and in the Blu Stone bistro were friendly and welcoming. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed June 14, 2010

Noisy air conditioner every time it switched on all night long, noisy banging sounds all night, maybe from plumbing, bathtub oily and stained with dirty footprints, hair on bathroom floor. Nice staff. Good location close to airport.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 6, 2010

Friends recommended this hotel. Front desk very accommodating. The renovations were very interesting. The rooms were very large. my husband and I felt it had everything you needed. Yes, it was difficult to get to the soap in the shower, but that's really not a major problem. Truly surprised at some of the reviews. Great location. Met Joe, the owner, very nice and has been in the business for years.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 1, 2010

I have had a long standing relationship with the Hotel Indigo. The staff have always been, friendly and accommodating. If you have a special need the staff go above and beyond to help you out. The renovation that occured last year throughout the hotel was beautifully done. The rooms are comfortable and have everything you need to make your stay, be it business or personal, worthwhile. The restauraunt which is located on the main floor of the hotel has a varied menu and the food is delicious. I would recommend the Hotel Indigo to anyone staying in the Albany area.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank kbaine28
Reviewed May 22, 2010

So, I booked this hotel through Priceline for a trip to Albany for a basketball tournament (I am a coach). My wife decided this would be a tournament that she and my two kids (3 year old boy and 3 month old girl) could come so we could have a weekend together. Since were traveling with both our kids we called the Indigo in advance to ask for either a king-size bed and a roll-away or a room with two beds...and in either room we would need a crib. The person we spoke to the day before our arrival said this would be taken care of and we would be placed in a non-smoking room.

I arrived to check-in and was informed everything was all set, except they had us in a smoking room. Yes, the room with the crib was a smoking room (umm..hello..common sense please). They told me non-smoking rooms were available but I would have to pay $10 extra to be put into a non-smoking room. To make matters even worse, even thought I was in the lobby with an upset infant they told us we would have to wait 45 minutes to an hour to get into my smoking room if I chose not to pay the $10 fee (because non-smoking rooms were available immediately).

I asked the clerk to please call the manger on duty. This is when I met Ms. Jennifer [--]. She immediately seemed deeply offended that somebody has dared summon her to the desk, and informed me that even though we were promised that our needs would be met by one of her staff the day before, that she was not going to change our room to non-smoking unless I paid the $10 fee. I told her I would not pay the fee, and that was going to remain in the lobby with my daughter until they gave us the room we needed. At that point (and keep in mind I have not even raised my voice) she informed me that if I was not going to check in I needed to vacate the lobby or she would call the police (yes..that is actually what this woman who is in the hospitality industry told me). I told her I had no intention of checking-in to a smoking room. So, she actually called the police. She then proceeded to go hide in her office and leave her poor front desk clerk to clean up her mess.

Upon the arrival of the police officer (who could barely believe that he was called for this) she still did not leave her office and spoke to the officer back in her office. The officer (wha was very nice) came out and told me they were canceling my reservation and that I was no longer going to be staying in the hotel. So myself, my wife, and my two infant children are now left without a room for the night. After a long phone call with Priceline my money was refunded, but I had to spend 3x that amount to get another room on short notice.

Then the real kicker occurred. A fellow coach from my organization (single male traveling alone) who also booked through Priceline checked in right after I left the property and he was assigned...yes you guessed it... a non-smoking room!! If I was not typing this story I would not believe it myself. But this hotel and its manager Jennifer [--] may be the worst examples of how to run a hotel I have ever seen or experienced.

I spoke to the national office of the Intercontinental Hotel corporation, and they were very nice and shocked that this unfolded. Having now read some of the comments on TripAdvisor, I see I not alone in experiencing the Indigos unique brand of customer service.

Simply the worst hotel experience I have ever had.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
7  Thank rwloos
Reviewed May 13, 2010

Before I forget - the independent restaurant on site (Blue Stone) is fabulous, with innovative meals and reasonable prices.

My favorite Holiday Inn Express wasn't available so thought I'd upgrade to the Indigo chain. Hotel is convenient to 87, but on a busy corner making left turns out of (and even into) the parking lot impossible during commuting hours.

Was surprised to be told the hotel does nothing for Platinum members - not even free bottles of water that HI Express gives to every Priority Club member. Room looked chic at first but just didn't "work". The so-called desk was so high that it couldn't be used for work; the shower required you to reach around a glass panel and get your hair wet to turn on; the radio stations were set to static and couldn't be changed; the duvet cover was heavy and seemed dirty; and the wood floor had gaps of up to 1" that you could slide back and forth. I called the desk about the radio and she was clearly irritated to have to come up and look at it. Said it would be fixed the next day - but it wasn't.

I travel almost every week and rarely comment on hotels. But in this case I sent my comments into the home office letting them know I won't be back.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank ArtemisTravels
jb1373, Manager at Hotel Indigo Albany-Latham, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2010

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to review our property. Feedback from our guest is helpful in letting us know where improvements need to be made. Our guest having a pleasant stay measures our success.

I have reviewed your feedback with the Front Desk staff, Housekeeping, and Maintenance Departments and am confident that improvements have been made.

Again, thank you for your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel Indigo upon our next trip to the Latham area.

J. Boyles

Also consider these accommodations in or near Latham
Staybridge Suites Albany Wolf Rd-Colonie Center
The Century House, an Ascend Collection Hotel
Hampton Inn Albany - Wolf Road (Airport)
Hampton Inn & Suites Albany Airport
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Latham
Hilton Garden Inn Albany Airport

Been to Hotel Indigo Albany-Latham? Share your experiences!