“This place will do the job”

Hotel Indigo Albany-Latham
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Latham
New york
“This place will do the job”
Reviewed March 1, 2010

Stayed here one night and was nervous at first , but when i got there it was better then expected. Nothing to fancy yet clean and a good sleep. Do not be worried it will work for you. Paid $ 72.00 tax includ from priceline

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Boston
Reviewed December 9, 2009

The architect for the place had the right idea when designing the tiled shower and the modern look and feel for the bedrooms, however, one can easily notice that the tiles are really printed on and the laminate is about to fall out.

The maid service is average, the bed is made but the sheets are not changed daily or even frequently. They are careful not to throw anything out, even used wrappers from candy or chocolates that you may want to keep for a collection.

The staff at the front desk is moody, their attitude may be described as "if it were not for those pesky customers I could actually get my job done".
Getting their attention for service is challenging at best.

There is a small caffee in the front lobby; it has a very limited menu, however it is the only place where you will be treated the way a guest deserves to be treated.

As far as the location, one side of the hotel parallels the runway at the airport, no wake up call needed as the landing for the planes will make sure you are up as early as 4:00AM. The other side of the hotel faces the highway, you will become used to the truck noise very quickly.

I was lucky enough to experience a severe snow storm during my stay, the parking area was covered with snow until well after 9:00 AM ; hopefully you wont be in a hurry to go to work while you stay here, or make sure you drive a large SUV. When asking the "frindly people" at the front desk if there was a plan to plow the parking area, no response was given.

Enjoy your stay, don't expect much.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Dutchess Co, NY
Reviewed October 25, 2009

Hotel Indigo does have rooms that are more modern...no wall to wall carpeting or drapes at window...large photo mural in room of fruit or something non-committal.

Room 318 had very noisy air ventilation system and fan in bathroom. Free Internet but nothing else, such as coffee, continental breakfast. No sundries shop on premise. Probably get a better price here than Desmond across the st., but other than clean lines, not much to offer.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
East Greenwich, Rhode Island
Reviewed October 19, 2009

I just completed a stay at the Hotel Indigo in Albany/Latham, NY. I was very excited as this was my first stay at Intercontinental Hotel's new Indigo chain. It is obvious that this hotel was not built new, but rather a renovated hotel of some other brand. Normally, this isn't a big deal, but the hotel, despite being new, is already showing its age. Yes, the rooms have what is thought to be some clever designs like hardwood floors and cool murals on the walls. But my room had cracked wall paper, some dirty floors, and the room had the smell of a wet dog...almost as if a pet owner stayed in the room before me.
What really killed this hotel for me, as business traveller, is that the hotel failed on some basics. First, the hi-speed internet is terrible. It's more like wired "slow-speed" internet. There seems to only be wireless in the lobby, not in the rooms, and the wired connection is terrible. Second, the work desk is way too high, and the work chair doesn't raise high enough, so I wound up working in a very uncomfortable position. Also, the office chair slides way too easily on the hardwood floors, so the whole thing was a mess.
On the plus side, the bed was quite comfortable, and the bathroom includes Aveda soaps and shampoos. Dinner in the hotel restaurant was quite good, although the place was packed with loud locals.
I guess if I wasn't a business traveller, this place would be a nice change of pace from the standard hotel. The lobby is clean, and modern, and the rooms are nicely decorated. But when a hotel fails at the basics, it always dissapoints. Next time I'll stick with a HI Express or Hampton Inn when in the area!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed September 29, 2009

I booked the Indigo through Priceline and got a great deal. I stayed for a Saturday and Sunday night. I was able to check in early (around 1pm) and although I'd been assigned a double room, they let me have a king. I was pleasantly surprised by the decor. Definitely not your standard hotel style. The laminate wood floors were nice. As others have said, it's very modern but in a cozy way. I liked the dark furniture. The bed was comfortable. There was a down comforter with a colorful duvet, another thinner down comforter, and good sheets. Four great pillows for sleeping, plus the shams and a decorative red one. Flat panel TV with cable, and free wireless and wired internet (not super fast but sufficient for checking email.) Phone was cordless but I never used it. One whole wall was covered with mural wallpaper. It was green apples in my room, but I think it varies.

The bathroom was typical. Mine happened to be a handicapped room so it's probably laid out a bit differently. I didn't care for the showerhead or the water pressure, so I hope that is better in regular rooms. Plenty of hot water though. Toiletries are Aveda. There was a little cove with a coffee maker but no fridge/microwave. The climate is controlled via a wall thermostat. The unit was effective, if a bit loud, so I didn't use mine much. Thankfully the weather was mild. My room faced the street so it was not super quiet, and I think one of my neighbors had their HVAC fan all night because there was this constant droning. Usually I'm a good sleeper but I didn't sleep particularly well--likely due mostly to the circumstances surrounding my visit, not just the ambient noise.

Check in and check out were quick and easy. Interaction with staff was minimal but acceptable. Parking is free and plentiful. One thing to note: the hotel is not accurately located by GPS units (or at least my Garmin thought it was around the corner and down the street from where it actually was), so be on the lookout for it.

I used to travel a lot for work and stayed in many hotels. I was surprised to learn that Indigo is part of the Holiday Inn group of hotels. I like their philosophy--it's about balance and harmony. They have haikus printed on everything from your room key to the dry cleaning bag. A copy of a design book was in my room, PHI: Divine Proportion. It's a fascinating subject, and complements their theme.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
california
Reviewed September 28, 2009

Stayed one night . Got a great price on Hotwire. The rooms were decorated really refreshing and clean. The desk was helpful and friendly. Lots of restaurants nearby. There is a 24 hour shuttle that runs to the airport which is about 5 minutes away. We called for the shuttle at 530 am and they were there within 5 minutes. Would difinitely stay there again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank graciegirlcalifornia
Boston
Reviewed August 31, 2009

I agree with what others have said here...it's beautifully redone and has the potential to be great. We were driving from Boston to Ithaca and stayed there half-way. We chose Indigo because of its style, but also because we needed a pet friendly room. Given the pet-friendliness of the room, we were still quite disappointed by the cleanliness. When we spilled water on the floor, we wiped it up with a towel and the towel turned almost black....also, it was clear the bedcovers hadn't been changed because there was other pet fur all over it.

Cleanliness aside, everything else was great. The staff were amazing. The service was nice, rooms are large, bed is comfortable bathroom was clean (ironically). For around $100 it's about what I would expect, though if they could get the housekeeping under control-this place could be really nice.

We did hear the gunshots in the morning-thanks for the warning! We laughed when we heard it b/c we'd read the other post.

All in all, we tend to stay in high end places and this was "just fine" but could use a good bath. :)

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Latham
Hampton Inn Albany - Wolf Road (Airport)
Staybridge Suites Albany Wolf Rd-Colonie Center
Homewood Suites by Hilton Albany
Microtel Inn by Wyndham Albany Airport
Home2 Suites by Hilton Albany Airport / Wolf Rd
The Desmond Hotel Albany

Been to Hotel Indigo Albany-Latham? Share your experiences!