“Whimsical and Warm Inn with Gorgeous Lake Views”
Review of The Lakefront Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lansing
The Lakefront Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Lansing
Chicago, Illinois
“Whimsical and Warm Inn with Gorgeous Lake Views”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

If you enjoy the predictability of a good hotel chain, do not book here. The Lakefront Inn is a thoroughly unique vacation property; it will knock your socks off. It's actually one of two inns owned by the same woman. My husband and I spent two wonderful nights at the original The Lakefront Inn. It was magnificent. For one thing, the views of the lake are superb. There's lake access, but it seemed to be more about the scenery than about getting out onto the lake. This was fine with us. We enjoyed views of Cayuga Lake both from our very private and cozy little courtyard patio and from the common area deck on which we took breakfast each morning and also hung out chatting with the house's other occupants. On the topic of breakfast, Peggy prepares a beautiful meal and is as gracious as owner Diane, who has peppered the guest rooms and common spaces with interesting artifacts, including bedside books on topics as diverse as sign language and dream interpretation. Again, if you like order and predictability, find yourself different lodging, because The Lakefront Inn (and presumably its sister property as well) is about whimsy and warmth.

Room Tip: We chose the courtyard room, partly in the interest of economy and partly because we booked late and...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Xanadu80

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Cortlandt Manor, New York
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Great place to spend a night or a weekend. Beautiful views! Rooms are spacious. Innkeeper is very nice and accommodating. Breakfast was adequate and good. Easy access by car to Ithaca and all the local hotspots. All rooms have views of Cayuga Lake.

Room Tip: Any room is great.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Sugarloaf, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed in the premier room of Lakefront 2 the weekend of May 3, 2013 and had a fabulous time. The rooms were clean and the view from our balcony was amazing! Both mornings we sat out at the little table and had coffee while staring at the crystal blue lake. Diane is a bit of a free spirit and the B&B is decorated with whimsy, but that is exactly what we wanted instead of just some chain hotel. The food was delicious and both Diane and chef Peggy were charming and full of knowledge about the area. There were several other guests in the house during our stay, but until we saw them in the breakfast room the next morning, we did not know it. Our room was quiet and peaceful and decorated with charm - even had a hammock near the window with a spectacular view! Cannot say enough about Diane - she made us feel right at home and even gave us a lovely personalized gift at the end of our stay. It is true that you cannot walk to the lake, but the location itself is very close to a pier with lake access and only 7 miles to Ithaca where there are lots of shopping and dining establishments. Try the Carolina style pulled pork sandwich and the potato pancakes at Killinger's Irish pub - so good we went there twice. Would love to stay at the Lakefront again - perfect weekend getaway!

Room Tip: Choose the premier room at Lakefront 2 for a fabulous view and private balcony!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I had an outstanding stay in the French CountrySide East room and highly recommend this beautiful property! Everything was clean, fresh, and very cozy. Breakfast was waffles and fruit, and served directly to my room. The hot tub was awesome with a great view. Diane was very accommodating and friendly, as well as the lovely innkeeper who was on staff that weekend. I would love to come back!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We stayed in the 2 bedroom villa and it was wonderful! The views are amazing, Diane is wonderful- she gave us great tips for our stay and was totally on the mark every time
We were there celebrating our 10th anniversary and we picked this place as a last minute option and they were so accommodating.. Diane took the time to show us all of our options.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
new york
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I am puzzled by the reviews of this property. We stayed recently with another couple and had a really decent stay. Despite having shared bathrooms, of which I am not a fan, we enjoyed a relaxing evening and morning at the inn. Chris was our personal chef for the evening, serving a multi-course meal that we slowly progressed through with wines he paired for us. The property was clean and views from the deck expansive and beautiful. We were pleased to meet a couple visiting their daughter for the weekend at the breakfast table. Not everyone likes the bed and breakfast experience, but we enjoy the opportunity to chat with someone new when traveling. There certainly are personalized choices in this property that may not be what I would choose, but I appreciate that in a B&B you always get someone else's taste in decorating.
I can't speak to the heat or cold issues, as they were nonexistent during our stay. Yes, there is an abundance of ribbon decoration. The "clutter" is interesting to me, but I could see it seeming unneeded by others. The home is filled with unusual touches in architecture and decorating choices. As a one night stay in wine country, with the possiblity of a private meal not requiring driving, we found it to be comfortable, clean and welcoming. The reviews terrified me for a week before I visited. Don't let them spoil your anticipation, too.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Writing negative reviews makes me feel bad, and I write many, many GOOD reviews, but this experience demanded a bad one. I can appreciate a certain level of earthy charm, but this place was a BIG miss. The over-all feel of the place was icky.

THE ROOM- Our room was IN THE BASEMENT...tile floor...no heat (it was 62 degrees outside)...smelled mildewy....large dehumidifier right next to the bed. Nothing "felt" clean. It was damp & there was chachky on every flat surface, including the chair..we had nowhere to sit except the bed. There was Re-used ribbon wrapped around everything and we found several cobwebs.
Our room was on a lower level we had to access from outside the house, yet there were no walkways or stairs. We had to maneuver our luggage down a slippery grassy slope from our car to our room.
Again, we were in the basement, so the toilet did not function well. Enough said.

THE BREAKFAST- Waffles & fruit. No protein. There was less to that meal than the continental breakfast at HOJO's. We went to the Ithaca Bakery after breakfast (great spot) to find some protein before our wine tour.

The grounds were completely unkept...weeds everywhere, stone wall landscape falling apart... fences falling over. It did not feel charming or earthy..it felt neglected.

Please know that I am not an overly picky person. I am a mom of 4 who can "rough it" with the best of 'em.....I love to go camping! This was not supposed to be a camping trip. If we had gotten a fabulous deal, I would have said "You get what you pay for"...but in this case, we paid top dollar for a night in Grandma's musty basement. Take my advice and find another place to spend your hard earned $$$.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Shannon C

Travelers are raving about these Lansing hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lansing
Homewood Suites by Hilton Ithaca
Hilton Garden Inn Ithaca
Ithaca Marriott Downtown on the Commons
Econo Lodge - Ithaca
Econo Lodge - Ithaca
#15 of 22 in Ithaca
Best Western University Inn
The Statler Hotel at Cornell University

Been to The Lakefront Inn? Share your experiences!