“TERRIBLE B&B”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of The Lakefront Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lansing
The Lakefront Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Lansing
paris
“TERRIBLE B&B”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2012

This is by far the worst b&b I have ever stayed. We were at the Lakefront Inn 2. The outside of the house looks unattended and absolutely neglected. There are overgrown weeds everywhere. The inside is no better. The clutter, books, junk and dust fill up every inch of space in the house. You get the feeling that you have descended unexpectedly on your kooky aunt. This inn is operated as an afterthought and I wonder if it is legal, given the absence of exit signs and inadequate outdoor lighting are clear fire hazards. Place mats for breakfast are literally set on top of the inn keeper's papers and 'stuff'. Obviously, no one feels compelled to clear or clean the area to serve the guests. I find it extremely unfortunate that someone should pass off their eccentricities as an acceptable method of inn keeping.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank skate21

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Reading, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2012

Now I don't usually give negative reviews, as you can see from my other posts they are all positive. But from the recent stay my Wife and I had this past weekend prompted me to post a negative review. Now this is not the first B and B my Wife and I have been to, this is the 5th B and B and the previous 4 were fantastic. I guess my negative review is coming from my disagreement on what the INN Keeper calls decorating and what a culinary delight consists of for a breakfast.

Now let me start off with the postitive. We stayed in the premire room in the Lakefront Inn 2 so we don't know what the original Lakefront Inn is like. The room was very nice and the king size bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was very nice with a 2 person tub and full size shower. We also couldn't complain about the view from our room. But you can get a nice bed, bathroom and view from pretty much any hotel. You go to a B and B for the ambience of the house and the Breakfast.

Now the negative side of the stay. Pulling up to the house I noticed that the outside gazebo area was very shabby, it looked like it needed some weeding and general spring pruning and planting. Getting out of the car we came up to the bottom door but it was unclear if that is where you entered the house or not, I did notice an older mountain bike siting on the bottom patio which struck me as odd. We walked around the house looking for the front door (the bottom door was the front door) and came to a back side door. Knocking on it the INN Keeper came to the door. I was taken a back from her wild hair. She was very nice and invited us in to show us around, the first room she showd us was the main dining room area. The dining table was covered with what I can just call "STUFF", from board games, books, deflated mylar baloons, picture frames and ribbon (she has a fetish with ribbons). I thought well maybe she was just doing some cleaning in this room since she had made a comment to us about the importance of "Clean" in a B and B. Well the next morning for breakfast we and other guests had to move the items off of the table so we could have a place for the place mats and dishes. We looked around the other rooms on the main floor of the house and noticed that pretty much every room was cluttered with just plain stuff. If you look at some of the pictures on this TripAdvisor site you will see what I mean by stuff in the rooms. The breakfast or lack there of was probably the most disapointing part of this stay. The breakfasts at the other B and B's we've been too were fantastic and what I would call a culinary delight. The first breakfast was two small square waffles topped with peaches and a custurd cream and a thin slice of cantelope. The second breakfast, and this was Easter Sunday so we both expected something special, consisted of two very small pices of french toast with orange zest and some kind of sour cream topping oh and berries that were still party frozen.

I guess we expected more for the price we paid, speeking of that we used two $100 gift cards and when I checked out I was handed a potted plant and a thank you card. I asked the person making the breakfast what this was and he told me that it was the $200 for the gift cards we used. I thought the point of the gift cards was to reduce the overall amout charged to the credit card, but not here she charged the credit card the full price and gave me $200 cash.

So if you like clutter and going out for breakfast after breakfast then this is a place for you.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank polarisdan

Travelers are raving about these Lansing hotels

Binghamton, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2012

This was a unique B and B with charm and beauty--inside and outside. The selling points are the view of the lake, the large room (the Parisian room), and especially the outside hot tub as it flurried. We felt really welcomed by Diane's romanticism! We would have preferred more of a choice for breakfast (e.g., some sides and additional drinks besides coffee and a large plate of berry/cream topped french toast) but it was lovely to receive the breakfast delivered to our room in the morning.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Waterloo
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2011

We arrived in the dark and were welcomed to a B+B with no host and to a house that only had heat on in our bedroom. None of the rest of the house was heated. Our room was eclectically decorated but when arriving from a long drive we didn't have any place to relax, converse or read except on wrought iron patio furniture brought indoors. When exploring the rest of the upstairs we discovered a living room/dining room disheveled and clearly not welcoming for overnight guests. We wondered what the morning would bring and if we would be expected to eat our breakfast in a frigid and cluttered dining room. In the morning we asked to have our breakfast brought to our room. The young woman that brought it said that she didn't blame us and showed us how she was wearing 4 layers just to stay warm while she made breakfast. She was friendly and was trying her best to make us feel welcomed. We ate our omelette and drank our coffee on our wrought iron table. This was a very disappointing stay and I would definitely not be recommending Diane and her B+B on the off-season. If you can't heat and provide full conveniences to your guests then I would suggest you close over the winter months. We moved on to the Acorn Inn and were blown away with Cheryl's hospitality, the warmth of her Inn and the extrordinary manner in which she greeted and cared for her guests - no detail was overlooked! ! ! Night and day in comparison and not that much difference in price! Travel a couple of lakes over and experience the ultimate in B+B indulgence!

Room Tip: Stayed on the main entrance level floor - would most likely be great in the summer with the access t...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Annie W
Ithaca, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2011

I'm still in the afterglow of the fabulous experience that we had at Lakefront II in Lansing.

The accomodations were luxiourous (flet like a princess, sleeping in a pillow bed), enjoyed the hot tub under the stars Saturday night after hiking to Ludlowflalls earlier that beautiful day, and then having a fun time at the Hangar Theatre in Ithaca, topped off by an ice cream cone at Purity's.

Then fell into my pillow bed after a great shower with wonderfully scented body wash and shampoos.

Oh and then woke up to a delicious breakfast of homemade custard waffles (no the wouldn't give me the recipe, so I guess I'll have to go back), and then a fun day in Ithaca at Porchfest.

I can't say enough about how great thie staff and owner were, warm and welcoming.

I'm still in the afterglow, can't you tell

Room Tip: no matter where you sleep, you can't lose.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Stanford, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Lakefront Inn 2 just after I took the bar exam, and it was a perfect way to relax. Diane was delightful, from providing plenty of pictures and details to help make a reservation to accommodating our late arrival to giving us little gifts when we left.

We stayed in the Tuscan Room, which is the cheapest room because it is somewhat in the middle of things and its private bathroom is across the hall, but it still had a wonderfully comfortable bed and a beautiful view of Lake Cayuga from the balcony. The bathroom had a pretty border to the tile that was handmade in an on-site kiln, and the whole place had whimsical details like ribbons tied around all the bathroom bottles.

Breakfasts featured fresh local ingredients. Our first morning we started with a local cheese with sliced apples and grated ginger, followed by frittata with fresh beans and fruit, and a banana smoothie on the side. The next two mornings we had waffles and french toast, both with fresh fruit. Eating breakfast on the balcony overlooking the lake was a wonderful way to start each morning!

The next time we are visiting Ithaca, we will be coming back. Far nicer than any of the pricier hotels around!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lisa O
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2011

Don't stay here, it's ours!! haha! Seriously, this place is amazing! When you first pull up, you don't know what to expect, as it isn't your typical B&B (which intrigued our adventurous souls even more!). Upon meeting Diane, the Inn Keeper, she immediately made us feel welcome and was such a kind spirit. She gave us a tour of the property, and to our luck, we were the only ones staying there!! We got to choose our room, and of course, picked the Overlook room, with the best view of the lake from the balcony and from the foot of the bed, the most adorable, bright room, and the bathroom with a claw tub (romance awaiting.. ;-)) There was no TV, which was great because who wants to go to a romantic getaway home and watch TV?? Thankfully we did have air conditioning in our room, since it was in the 90's! Diane was knowledgable about the area, gave us some great tips about restaurants and waterfalls, and gave us free reign of the kitchen! It was like staying at our house!! The first morning we made our own private breakfast, the second morning we went to the Lakefront Inn 2 to have a delicious, healthy, gourmet breakfast. All in all, the house itself is decorated very uniquely, has a cozy feeling with hammocks spread throughout, and a very inviting feeling. Both the place and Diane remind you to enjoy the simple pleasures in life!! We truly enjoyed our stay, and will DEFINITELY go back!! If you're not sure when you first arrive, give it a chance, you'll love it! This was our first B&B experience, and we'll always compare others to this place!! We plan on going back often!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank cvk7
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lansing
Homewood Suites by Hilton Ithaca
Hampton Inn Ithaca
Hampton Inn Ithaca
#4 of 22 in Ithaca
Hilton Garden Inn Ithaca

Been to The Lakefront Inn? Share your experiences!