“First time at a B&B”
Review of The Lakefront Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lansing
The Lakefront Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lansing
Reviewed July 6, 2011

Well were do I begin. Made reservation in June. Told them it will be my family of 4 (two boys 16 & 11). We were told an hour before to call to make sure the room is ready and it was. Told us not to park in front of rooms so we don't block view for other guest. Fine, not sure were to park however as we are sitting there a couple pulls up and parks where we find out is our room. They stayed parked there all night. By now another car parked next to them. Didn't block there view just our. When we walked up to the doors there were weeds no nice plants or potted plants etc.. We walked in and nobody around. Not sure where to go head up the steps finally meet someone. She told us our room is down the steps (first floor on the left) she shows us our room and brings extra sheets for one of my sons. We leave and come back about 9pm. The first thing was the flies. I spent about 20 mins. killing flies. (Now you know you would be woken by one of them early in the AM!) After killing the flies I step out to sit out on our little porch (with other peoples cars right in fron of us) and I look at the scrren and theres a large hole in it. Closed the door killed another couple of flies. My boys notice there no TV inthe room and no air conditioner. (There were two fans). Room was dusty, since I was killing flies I really got to see the dust inthe windows etc.. Start to made them there bed and the sheets she gave us had a BIG WHOLE in it. There was a hot tub outside around the corner no path no ;ights weeds around it not sure if it really worked. The gazebo looked liek it needed soem weeds to be pulled. In the morning went up the stairs for breakfast waited about 10-15 mins. no juice of any kind for the boys she said just hot water for tea or coffee, Then breakfast egg/potato frittata (which was burnt ) with watermelon and a couple of blueberries with grain toast and kids had water to drink. No other choices of breakfast. Of course I have a picky eater (11 yr old) . However, she did which I was glad made him a scrambled egg with cheddar cheese. Well now that I have told you this if you look in the Ithaca Tour Guide book it tells you that they have a TV and air condition, trails etc.. we were not told anything jsut heres your room. All in all she was nice but first impression last a long time and it was our first time at a B&B.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank vacationwonders

Reviewed July 6, 2011

This was my first time staying in a B&B, so I was hesitant at first. My GF and I went up with another couple and they gave us a wing to ourselves including a shared porch. The first thing you notice going into the house is that this is not your typical B&B (or what I thought a B&B was). The entire house was recently renovated and the pictures on the site do not suffice.

As we arrived, we were greeted by the owner who gave us a quick tour and opened a bottle of wine for us. She also made us some tapas, that we were not a fan of but it was the thought that counted. Since we came as 2 couples they gave us a private wing with our own bathroom which was very nice. The B&B did not have a TV, but we hardly noticed since we were on the porch looking at the amazing views most of the time.

The room we stayed in was very nice except for some minor things. The bed we got was really 2 twin beds combined, so if we rolled in the middle you sunk a bit. Also, the sun shines quite brightly and the curtains didnt do a good job of keeping out the sun in the morning but since we are morning people we did not mind. Also, keep in mind that there is no AC in the rooms. This was only a problem on the second night we were there since we got sunburned. However to help with it, the caretaker went out and bought us fans for the room!

Every morning when we got up there was coffee and tea set out in the living room. But the best part is that if you did not want to go to the living room to eat, they would bring your food to your balcony so you could have a private breakfast, very nice touch. In regards to the breakfast, it was 7.6 / 10. We had pancakes with fruit one day and french toast the other. The problem was the food was a bit cold when we got it but still very tasty.

Another great feature about this B&B is how easy going they are. Myself and the other guy were surprising our GFs with a boat trip on the lake and we needed to keep the food cold that we were taking on the boat. So the caretaker told us to just put it in the fridge. Very accomodating which really helped us.

The big question is would I stay here again, and I would say, Yes I would. But more than likely in Early Fall / Late Summer.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Andrew_Rack
Reviewed June 1, 2011

We stayed at the original Lakefront Inn for a night and toured the second Inn the next day. The original Inn is filled with ephemera and adorned with personal touches. The views are gorgeous and you're only a few steps from the shore. Diane made us feel very much at home. She prepared an exceptional breakfast for us and was more than happy to share the stories behind many of the fascinating items that occupy the inn as well as the inn itself. She is quite a fascinating woman so don't pass up the opportunity for conversation. The second building is larger and also beautiful in a more polished and formal way. We look forward to giving it a try sometime soon.

Room Tip: The premiere room is absolutely stunning.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank jmedgar
Reviewed April 21, 2011

My husband and I took our teenage son to look at colleges in Ithaca and stayed at Lakefront 2. The inn itself is gorgeous, the views fantastic and the service was delightful. We were offered a bottle of wine when we arrived, and the host made us a light appetizer. She was extremely helpful with directions & recommendations. We had two beautiful rooms with private bath. Breakfast was fantastic! I would definitely stay there again and suggest it to friends.

Room Tip: In touring the house all rooms were terrific.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank toccis
Reviewed September 4, 2010

Inn keeper was terribly unprofessional. We were traveling with our son and daughter-in-law for a Labor Day trip to the NY Finger Lake area and to celebrate their anniversary. I made reservations in June and also confirmed them a day before we arrived. Upon arrival no one was there. Inn keeper was knowledgeable about area and rooms were nicely decorated, hence the one star I am giving. After dinner, we returned to find that another couple was double-booked for our room. They waited for over three hours for keeper to arrive to solve situation--less than optimal for anyone but more so for them as wife was severely disabled. Inn-keeper wanted us to split rooms with another woman or stay at her partner's home. She offered a lakefront cottage but then said it wasn't available. She did not apologize to us or the other two parties involved during the discussion. We finally left, since it was goingnowhere and it was easier for us to make alternate arrangements than the other couple. Very disappointing. Ended up at the comfort inn, which while fine, was not the special place we wanted to stay at with our kids.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Mep51
Reviewed August 10, 2010

For a last minute 20th anniversary trip after dealing with family illness, we booked the Overlook a few days before. Magically, it was open. We found a beautiful, nature inspired place with so many things to look at, and look again and be inspired by - whether a ribbon, or a compilation of books, or a vignette of collectables and photos, or the flower arrangements, or the hammocks that appear out of nowhere. We had an unexpected surprise, when our wooden toilet seat split, but while an inconvenience, did not distract from the vibe of the place. The Inn Hostess is a warm, intuitive soul who wants to make everyone's stay the best. When we found the local Falls, she just threw us some towels and said pretty much Go Play! Her recommendations for food were spot on - Madeline's in Ithaca, and don't miss the Pumpkin Hill Bistro. All within either 8 or 16 miles of this slice of Heaven.

Mindy kicked out fantastic breakfasts served on a beautiful porch overlooking the western shore of the lake, and is so personable that you can't help leaving as a friend that will be back soon. Our "GoodBye" is something that we'll remember for a long time...sooo... you have to understand that this is a special, peaceful place that inspires a lot of people, so do not be put off by previous posts of "odd little gifts" - think of it as going outside the box . Each one was destined to help you explore, and the parting gift is a very strong personal one that you choose, and helps you to bring back a great memory and perpetuate it. Very very thoughtful.

Is this for everyone? I hope so, but there will be those who want the bling and non-interaction. Our room was so opulent, with so many pillows and robes and a sitting room, there were so many pillows we had to move them off the bed to make room for us. Now THAT'S luxury. The clawfoot tub with skylights. The thick robes and stools to get into bed - if you're short like me! Every little detail was there, from the photo montages and the games provided, to the hot tub and access to books, grounds, and nature. AWESOME!

And, my husband had previously refused to and never ever stayed in a B n B before. I would gladly return for the chance to both of us be like a wand was washed over us and to have fun.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gulogirl
Reviewed June 28, 2010

A delightful, fantasy-like experience with the Goddesses of Lansing! This is no ordinary B&B. From the minute you arrive, you are in for a treat - visually, there is a lot of whimsy for your eyes and mind to play with - you are greeted by the warmest of women who has your ultimate comfort and experience first and foremost on her list of "to do's". The most important "creature comfort", the bed is outstanding! Our room provided us with everything we needed to relax and enjoy our time together. The property has a tremendous view and is private while still being close to Ithaca and Aurora (be sure to visit the Pumpkin Hill Bistro!) We enjoyed our gourmet breakfast on the second floor veranda which has the best views of Lake Seneca. All in all, Diane turned her "to do's" into TA DA! for us.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BellaandBeau
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lansing
3 mi away
Hilton Garden Inn Ithaca
Hampton Inn Ithaca
Hampton Inn Ithaca
#3 of 22 in Ithaca

Been to The Lakefront Inn? Share your experiences!