“Needs a little work”

Rogues Harbor Inn and Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 9 Restaurants in Lansing
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Historic 1830s building on the Registrar of National Historic Places housing a B&B with 9 distinctive rooms serving a full, gourmet breakfast and a full service restaurant and pub featuring world inspired American food plus local wines and brews on tap. Many attractions in the area. Go to the Visitor Center's web site for info
Reviewed August 20, 2013

A local recommended this restaurant to us as we were traveling from out of state. Beautiful historic building, full of charm. The menu looked really great with a variety of solid choices. However, what was brought to us wasn't as delightful as written in the menu. My husband ordered the stuffed cabbage. We knew it was an unconventional version but what was brought to the table looked more like a bowl of soup. I ordered the chicken stuffed with feta and argula. The chicken breast was literally burned, and tasted burned. I don't like sending food back to the kitchen but it definitely crossed my mind here. I love how they serve local food. The bread from Ithaca Bakery was fantastic. The dipping sauce, a combo of parmasan cheese and spices mixed with olive oil, was awesome. Also, the outdoor seating overlooks an intersection so it got to be loud as 18-wheel trucks rolled by. Worthy of another try but they have some work to do in my opinion.

1  Thank Dana B

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We had dinner over 4th of July weekend at the Rogue's Harbor Inn. The building's history and interior was very interesting. The menu was very large with a large number of vegetarian options. My husband ordered a Rogue's Burger which was topped with NYS Cheddar cheese, bacon & smokey BBQ sauce along with Sweet Potato Fries. I ordered the Southwestern Quinoa Salad with grilled chicken which was a mix baby greens topped with red quinoa, corn, black beans, onion, tomato & housemade vegan spicy ranch dressing. The food arrived promptly. My husband's burger was perfectly cooked and the fries were very crispy. He enjoyed his burger but it was nothing outstanding. My Quinoa salad was very generous. The salad dressing was a very strange thick sauce rather than a dressing. It was inedible. I asked for a different dressing which was a more traditional balsamic dressing with hints of sesame oil. It complimented the salad much better. My husband had the flight of beer from the brewery and enjoyed tasting the 4 different beers. My glass of locally produced wine was very generous. Overall we enjoyed our meal and sent a few couples from our B&B there for dinner on following nights.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

sat on the porch......lovely, attentive service. Food is really good....everyone in our group enjoyed their entrees. Craft beer flight was stellar.Local foods with flair. if you are in this neck of the woods check it out!

Reviewed April 4, 2013

OK, Rogue's Harbor has been (for quite a while) my favorite restaurant to go to. But something's amiss there right now. Could have just been an "off" night, but I'm not sure. Apparently there is a new chef in the house, and I'm not sure that is going to work out for them. The items I ordered this evening (French Onion Soup and the Balsamic Chicken Sandwich) were not only rather unappealing to look at (soup was oily looking and the bread and cheese on top was very small and looked burned, and the sandwich had a bun that was way too big for the chicken, and the lettuce was wilted), but they had little to no flavor except for red pepper/hot. To me, when you have to use red pepper in everything to get "a" flavor, that is not a good thing. I won't give them a super low rating because my husband said the salmon he ordered wasn't bad (aside from being a bit on the salty side), but I think that they need to find a way to fix things there. I'm rather sad about having to say all this, because (as mentioned previously) it has been our favorite place for a while now, and as luck would have it, tonight was our anniversary, so I guess it was extra disappointing to get a meal that was not "up to par" for what we are used to there. Will have to check things out again in a few months and see if things are improving. I sincerely hope that they will. On some better notes...their brewery is doing a great job! The craft beers they are offering are very good. Plus, the atmosphere is still great, and the wait staff and management is fantastic. Just....something NOT right there right now with regard to the food. Did not leave me wanting more, like it always used to.

1  Thank T_P_M_NY
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We love traveling the half hour to Rogue's Harbor from our home. We especially enjoy going in summer and eating on the porch. Nice varied menu with a focus on NY-produced food and wine; they also brew their own beer. When I really crave a burger, this is where I go.