“Great B&B”

Ranked #1 of 1 Lansing B&B and Inns
Indiana
“Great B&B”
Reviewed July 23, 2008

We had a family reunion here using 6 of the seven rooms. Breakfast and planned family dinner were excellent. Rooms were very comfortable. We had a great time.

• Liked — Food and accommodations
  • Stayed July 2008
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
waterloo, ontario, canada
Reviewed July 1, 2008

We loved the Rogue's Harbor Inn! Booked it after seeing their website and called the hotel directly. Very professional from start to finish.

Even though it was built in 1830, there was nothing old, musty, or dated about this Inn. Booking into an old hotel can be a little frightening because you never know what condition it's been kept in. The Rogue's Harbor Inn is tastefully decorated and kept very clean at all hours of the day and night.

I've stayed in accomodations of all sizes, from small B&B's to large chain hotels, and I feel that the management and staff of the Rogue's Harbor Inn are some of the most professional I have ever had the pleasure of doing business with. There was a subdued elegance about the people and the place. Owner, Eileen Stout, and her staff were always pleasant and helpful.

The four of us arrived on a Friday night thinking we might try the dining room the first night after a long drive and then look for other places to eat during the rest of our stay. Turns out, we were so happy with the quality of the food, the ambiance, and the professional wait staff, that we ate there all 3 nights of our stay. Too often when you're on vacation, you end up wasting precious vacation time deciding where to eat each night only to be disappointed by a restaurant that doesn't live up to it's billing. The fabulous menu selections at the Inn made all that go away. Each of us agreed it was a real treat.

From the lamb to the king crab legs, and everything in between, every meal at the Rogue's Harbor Inn was thoroughly enjoyable. The food is excellent with a different and extremely tasty special each night and the wait staff were always pleasant. When we wanted to start with drinks in the bar, then move to the dining room for dinner, and then to the porch for after-dinner drinks or coffee, the waitstaff never even blinked. They were always very congenial and accomodated us wherever we went. Special thanks to Stacey for her excellent service.

By chance, there was a scavenger hunt hosted by the Inn and sponsored by several area businesses on the weekend we booked our stay. It was free and we decided to go on a whim to fill a few hours on a Sunday. It turned out to be a great way to get to know the area and what it has to offer even better.

We came away convinced that the people and businesses of the Ithaca - Cayuga Lake area are dedicated to providing a quality vacation experience for visitors. That was a pleasant surprise! Too often while traveling, I've felt that the only thing the locals appreciate about tourists is the money they spend. I never once had that feeling on this trip. For a quality vacation, I would highly recommend visiting the Rogue's Harbor Inn and and the Ithaca - Finger Lakes region.

• Liked — Rooms were large, tastefully decorated and clean
  • Disliked — Shared bathroom was at the other end of the hall
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FreakedonNature
Boston
Reviewed April 15, 2008

This is a nice old Inn. There is a fantastic restaraunt with great steak downstairs, and the rooms are big and comfortable. The building has a great old character with an interesting history. Close to Cornell and wine country it was a great visit.

• Liked — Restaraunt
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed April 14, 2008

I've stayed at Rogue's Harbor Inn twice - Sept 07 and Jan 08 - both times I had great experiences, and would recommend the inn to others.

In Sept 07, we had to adjust our reservations because of car problems in the opening leg of our trip. The owner had no problem delaying our reservation by one night, and did not charge any fees or give us any hassle for it. When we did arrive, she asked us about our trouble and wanted to make sure everything was alright. She also provided, without charge, a playpen for our 15 month old daughter to sleep in. The room (#2) was clean and had a spacious private bath. None of us had any problems with noise from downstairs or the road.

In Jan 08, it was just myself and my sister (taking her back to college). We stayed in room #3, which did not have a private bath. The only drawback to this was the shared bathroom - the shower took several minutes to warm up enough to stand in it, and it was a *very* tight fit once you were in it. Getting a room with a private bath is worth it. Again, we had no trouble with noise from downstairs or the road. In the morning though, we could hear people walking upstairs, but to me, that's to be expected in an old house.

The breakfast is fairly basic - croissants, biscotti, cereal, fruit, hard-boiled eggs, juce, tea, water. I have no complaints about it from either visit.

One thing I like about the inn is the fact that instead of having the small single-serving size of toiletries, there are bulk sized with pumps mounted in the shower. It makes sense if you're concerned about waste. Plus it's a rosemary-mint scent, which is wonderful.

Also, both times I've stayed there, we've eaten dinner in the restaurant downstairs. The food was wonderful both times (especially the mixed berry crumble dessert), and the service was nice. They had no problem with us taking a bottle of wine and some glasses up to our room when we finished eating.

Bottom line is that I would, and will stay there again. I've had positive experiences both times.

• Liked — service, cleanliness of rooms, character of older building
  • Disliked — shared bathroom
  • Stayed January 2008
Los Angeles
Reviewed April 11, 2008

My husband and son were at Ithaca for my son to see Cornell. I called and spoke to the owner and asked if the room was quiet. She said it wasn't noisey, but that it was in the center of town. She neglected to say the the room was above a bar.

It was impossible to sleep. People were talking and drinking below until late at night, then talking in front of the bar outside their window until very late. Plus my son said the sheet in the second bed had hairs and a tissue in it, which isn't a sign of cleanliness.

When I called the owner she was nasty and said the room was spotless. I nicely told her that she should have been honest about the noise when I originally called and booked the room. She argued with me and said she did tell me they were in the center of town. I guess I didn't realize being in the center of town always means being above a bar. She seemed to think releasing my husband and son from their reservation was a generous act on her part, though she said they were charged, with tax, $166.

This is probably a good place to stay if you've had too much to drink in the bar below and shouldn't drive home. I can't think of any other reason to stay here.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
4 Thank pali27

Travelers are raving about these Lansing hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lansing
Homewood Suites by Hilton Ithaca
The Statler Hotel at Cornell University
Hilton Garden Inn Ithaca
Hampton Inn Ithaca
Hampton Inn Ithaca
#4 of 22 in Ithaca
Fairfield Inn & Suites Ithaca
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Ithaca

Been to Rogues' Harbor Inn? Share your experiences!