“Local Dinner Theatre”

Desiderio's
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Desiderio's, on the corner of Bowen & Broadway in Lancaster, has a winning combo with its dinner-theatre. We recently re-discovered the place after having previously visited its William Street location many times in the past. What drew us was an ad for its current play " Greetings" by local playwright Tom Dudzik; of "Over the Tavern" fame. We recently loved a play of his at the Kavinoky so we decided to give this a try. What attracted us were the reasonable prices for the combination of a nice dinner & a play. Our dinners were very good but we would recommend that they include a nice dinner salad as well. It would not cost much & would add so much ! Dinner started with a basket of bread & a cup of soup - choice of chicken vegetable or pasta fazool ( Idea - let diners pick between a salad or a soup ? Or just give both !) . Both soups were nice & hot & delish. My entree was the Tuscan chicken; my husband got the broiled haddock with tomato bruschetta topping. Other entrees included lobster, veal parmesan, fettucine alfredo & red sauced pasta. Prices are based on which entrees you pick ( in the range from $28 - 48). Both of our dinners had sides of roasted potatoes and veggies - the veggies were excellent & not overcooked. Dessert was a tiny dish of vanilla ice cream & a bit of chocolate sauce. The play "Greetings," was well performed & very funny. Everyone has an excellent view of the stage & you are very close to the action. The next production sounds good too -- the original play about Columbo the private eye, upon which the TV series was based with Peter Falk. This sounds so good we are sure to go back ! This would be an ideal outing for a group of friends too.

2  Thank Buffalomathprofessor
There are newer reviews for Desiderio's

Reviewed December 4, 2013

Desiderio's, the lone remaining operating dinner-theater in the Buffalo area, has a double-barreled winner in its current play "Greetings!" and the dinner that precedes us, in our case a simply scrumptious Tuscan chicken, exquisitely breaded; a luscious serving of haddock and unusal "smashed" potatoes with a bit of pork blended in... "Greetings," a bit of a mystic play about a family in turmoil, is marvelously presented by five fine actors, a perfect blend of comedy, drama and a sense of togetherness... if this doesn't put you in the Christmas mood, perhaps your name is Ebenezer and your ghost is waiting in the wings...

Reviewed November 20, 2013

The Lancaster Ale House feels like home. There is almost no turn over in staff so when you arrive you are greeted by familiar, friendly faces. On the way to your table you can smell the homemade sauce deliciously filling the air making it difficult to order anything that doesn't come with a side of pasta. I have yet to order a dinner I have not fully enjoyed with my most recent selection - homemade manicotti with meatballs - my favorite to date. The manicotti melted in my mouth and the meatballs could rival my Grandmother's. Couple the meal with a glass of perfect cabernet and a table-side visit from one of the owners and I know I will be back again and again.

1  Thank Diane C
Reviewed August 1, 2013

I read one review that said just okay. Here is what I have to say. The Italian food is as good as it gets. We were there about a year ago and loved it . Nothing has changed. It is great. I asked the waiter why the place is not crowded and he said it was hit or miss. Usually busy on weekends. My opinion is it should be crowded every night. It is great and I suggest you try it.

1  Thank Ron V
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I had heard of Desiderios 3 years ago but had never been there. My wife is and acteress/singer so this place promised to be a perfect choice for a fun date (and it was!). Desiderios is a 2 part establishment consisting of both a Dinner/theater and the "Lancaster Ale house". in Desiderios you are accomodated in one large room, have a complete dining experience and enjoy a theatrical production without having to go to 2 different venues.The Ale house Part serves Food and has the ambiance of a lounge-sportsbar and dining area.
I had booked a reservation, so when we arrived, we were promptly seated with no delay. It looked to be a sold out show in the room which looked to hold about 80-90 people. They have a fixed price D/T menu offering up 6 selections including Chicken, Vegetarian, Beef, Pork and Veal. The price of the entree includes an appetizer, salad & dessert as well as the ticket for the live show. There is a full bar which includes a nice selection of craft brew, wines and fancy cocktails. We orders the Pasta primavera and Chicken Marsala, appetizer of Pasta fagioli & Salad Greens. Everything Was well prepared, Fresh, Hot and Delicious! I have worked as a cook in 4 different resaurants, so I really appreciate this fact. After dinner we were served coffee and ice cream and the Owner stepped on stage and spoke breifly introducing the show, annoucing a few people who were celebrating special occaisions and promoting future shows. Then there was an intermission and the play began. This was a play called the "Odd Couple" the same show that the hit TV show was based on. it featured a cast of 6 actors. The show was funny and captured the spirit of what I remembered from the film version and the early 70's TV show. There were some period and reginal updates (and unlike the recorded TV show it needed no "canned Laugh track" dubbed in. We enjoyed it so much that after it was over, we went ito the lounge area and chatted with some of the actors afterwards. What a fun and different evening, I reccomend this to anyone that likes real fresh food and going to live theater.

2  Thank crawdaddy333