“Horrible place to stay, good place to raft” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Explorers River Camp

Explorers River Camp
Ranked #4 of 25 Specialty Lodging in Jinja
NYC
“Horrible place to stay, good place to raft”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

We came here two years ago for rafting and had a good experience. Stayed the free night, drank some Niles and passed out happy. We came back last month and decided to stay here again, only to be horribly disappointed. I don't know if the management has changed or what, but I could not believe the treatment we received. We were at the campsite during Halloween and their was a raucous party going on, not something we minded at all being partiers ourselves. What I did mind, however, was when we went to bed and my boyfriend gashed his back open on an exposed nail and one of the owners was drunk and rude instead of being polite and helpful (I think it's a couple running the establishment). The woman was very kind and got me some bandaids and peroxide, but when I first approached them, the man acted as if I was accusing him of something when I spoke about the huge nail sticking out of the top of the bunkbed. Which I could have been considering THERE WAS A HUGE NAIL STICKING OUT OF THE BUNKBED. The next morning the guy spoke to my boyfriend and promised he would come "check it out" before we left. He then proceeded to spend the next hour hanging up plastic flip flops in a display. We noisily checked out and made it clear that we were leaving, hoping he would catch the hint and actually go look at the bed. But he just avoided eye contact with us and kept putting the stupid flip flops up on the rack. We left and told everyone we met along the way NOT to stay there. This place gets a lot of those Overland trucks, so they obviously think they don't have to provide standard customer service to normal patrons because we're not the cash cows. It's places like this that give hostels a bad name. I was seriously offended by the whole situation AND my boyfriend had to get a tetanus shot the next day, which the hostel really should have paid for.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
NREManagement, Manager at Explorers River Camp, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Sadie E,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed report about your stay at Explorer’s Camp. I appreciate your effort and value your contribution. I would like to take this opportunity to respond to your concerns. Yes, me and my wife started managing the camp about 4 months ago.

The Halloween party is an annual tradition at the campsite and we are glad that you enjoyed it. That evening my wife was the person that helped you and she was the one on duty, I was there in a social capacity with friends and thus unfortunately not the correct person to ask for assistance. I do apologize if I came across as rude, it was not intended that way.

After you checked out, I inspected the bunk bed and found the nail that you mentioned, the nail was cut off and flattened to avoid scratching anyone in future. I then proceeded to check the rest of our dorm rooms to ensure there is no similar issues and can happily report that it was an isolated incident that will not re-occur.

We endeavor to provide the same standard of customer service to all our clients, whether they are part of a group or individual travelers. We invite you to re-consider another visit to the campsite to allow us to change your impressions.

Kind Regards
Jacques

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Turkish first
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

We enjoyed Explorer's campsite so much that we stayed twice. Both times we were in bandas - which could do with some updating, and they are a bit crammed with a double and bunk beds.

The location is what makes this place. It looks out over what used to be Bujugali Falls, which are now submerged, but the view is picturesque none the less.

The bar is a ton of fun, and comfy. The breakfasts are good as well - especially the pancakes with maple syrup (tasted like true maple syrup to boot!).

The staff are pretty helpful at getting cabs and boats (to take you across the lake). It is also a great value.

• Stayed August 2012
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
NREManagement, General Manager at Explorers River Camp, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Hi mattdy,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review of Explorers River Camp - we are please you enjoyed your stay with us.

Yes the rooms are a little bit cramped with the double and bunk beds but with 22 safari tents available for twin share we now find that the demand for 3 or 4 people sharing a room quite high and try to accommodate as best we can.

Cheers
Leslie
Tehran, Iran
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2012

we were supposed to be there for 1 night, but we extended it for 2 because we really enjoied there. good restaurent and staf, clean equiped tent, nice bar and fantastic view.
its almost 8 km from jinja but its not far from nile source, rafting and bungee (you can reach there by bicycle)

1 Thank SHOTGUNN
NREManagement, General Manager at Explorers River Camp, responded to this review, May 29, 2012
Hi Shotgunn,
Thanks for the review - much appreciated - and thumbs up to you for riding a bike the 8 kms - can't say I would be doing it :-)
Regards