“Wildwaters lodge”

and 1 more site!
Wildwaters Lodge
Ranked #2 of 31 Specialty Lodging in Jinja
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Last August I visited this facility which is on the Nile river.I enjoyed the food and the staff were very friendly.The surrounding is awesome while getting there we used a canoe and this make the whole idea an exciting experience. The sound of the water flowing down all throughout the night and day is a wonderful experience too.At least its the best noise that I heard in life.

Room Tip: Those facing the magnificent falls.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed September 28, 2012

I know previous reviewers have commented on the annoyance of people visiting for the day, but...having been working in a orphanage, my friend and I went for a day trip to Wildwaters. It was a wonderful, relaxing, much needed break. The view from the swimming pool is incredible and although the rapids on the Nile seems loud at first it quickly becomes a relaxing background sound. The natural form swimming pool fronting on to the rapids is just stunning and the staff were extremely attentive and welcoming. We could never have afforded to stay, but we were shown round one of the lodges and they are stunning! I loved the little walkways wooden bridges to get everywhere, its like a cool little treetop world that is just so far removed from everyday life in Uganda. There's a fantastic area just off the restaurant set up with a traditional old English library / reading room, where you can see the incredible view but enjoy the cool shade and the lovely smell of wood everywhere. Food was excellent and it was a much needed break. In the time I was in in Uganda it was my only day "off" and was a much needed and welcomed day of time out to relax and recharge, It is truly like another world, but do get out and see the real Uganda too!

Room Tip: We only looked round as day visitors, but I would request one overlooking the rapids and "wildw...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I enjoyed my stay at wild waters lodge ... We booked the Lodge for three nights through Cycads Safaris. I was really impressed by the fact that we had to board a boat which would transport us to the lodge... i enjoyed the view of the magnificent River nile rapid waters...the water birds and especially the food at the lodge....simply tasty and the staff at Wild waters lodge made us feel at home with their undivided attention and friendliness towards us....

However one thing i enjoyed the most was the White water rafting experience we had with ADRIFT , we joined other tourists and formed teams, we rafted the whole day hitting and dodging strong river waves....it was so THRILLING....

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 7, 2012

When was the last time that you were rowed in a large wooden canoe to your lodge? For us it was a little while ago when arriving at this lodge. Our driver/guide arrived at the banks of the river Nile to drop us off for our last stay in our trip in Uganda and Rwanda. At the waterfront was a wooden canoe that took us and our luggage out on the river Nile and delivered us on a small island right in the middle of some water rapids in the Nile. There is even a small waterfall on one side of the island.

Reception at the boat pier on the island was excellent, some hot towels and a nice cool fruit juice. Then one of the ladies showed us the way to our room and to the central area, providing a lot of information about the lodge and the island that it is built on.

We had a room very close to the bar/restaurant/swimming pool area, overlooking one of the spectacular rapids in the river. The looks are great, the sounds not so. The water is very noisy, certainly when you stand close to the water. We had to speak up a little to actually hear each other over slightly longer distances.
The island houses quite a few different sort of birds as well. We thoroughly enjoyed watching the birds sitting in the trees or flying across the river.

The rooms are great. Part of it is build from stone. That is the bathroom and entrance area. The main room has canvas walls, to give you more of a safari feeling. Outside of the room is a large porch (with a bath tub!) overlooking the Nile river and the surrounding areas. Inside the room, there are a few comfortable chairs available right at the entrance of the porch, so you have the same view while sitting inside as well. Certainly when the sun is really hot, this is very comfortable.

The lounge area hosts reception, bar, restaurant and the swimming pool. The pool is amazing. Only a short wall of rocks is separating the pool from the rapids in the Nile. SInce the water level is dropping over these rapids, you really feel like you are sitting below the water level. For us from The Netherlands, that is nothing new. :)

Food is very, very good at this place. For all meals, they have a nice selection of dishes on the menu. And everything is prepared really, really well. It certainly was one of the best places food wise this vacation.

The lodge does provide a wireless network in the lounge area. Free of charge. Very comfortable to catch up with things back home when you relax during the day.

My only slightly negative point is the actual noise of the river. It really is noisy all the time. When you move a bit more inland on the island, the noise is reduced significantly. During the daytime, it was no issue at all, but at night I really had trouble sleeping with all that noise. Even when I was wearing earplugs, I had trouble sleeping.
So, when you intend to stay here (and I really recommend that), be prepared to deal with the noise from the rapids in the river.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 13, 2012

First of all, wow. Wildwaters is one of those special, special places that you find only a few times in a lifetime...you park your car, and a small boat picks you and your luggage and takes you downstream towards an island in the river. While making the approach with the sound of the falls in the distance, you truly cannot believe that you have arrived in such a magical place.

Rooms: We were placed in the room that is nearest the boat dock (just to the right as you approach the island), which I have mixed feelings about. I loved that the water there is calm enough to attract wildlife...the birds were amazing and would come right up under our deck and play and fish. Incredible. The bathtub on the deck was also fabulous, except as new guests moved back and forth from the dock to the parking area, I was very self-conscience that they could see us taking a bath, or that they could also see in our room if the tent canvas was drawn back. The showers/bathroom were fantastic, I loved all the natural elements. The windows had screens and were open which felt very natural, but I think on the windows which face walking paths there should be blinds or covers on the windows, as an option to draw them closed for privacy. I think all in all, the lodge could improve on privacy - some of the bathtubs, decks, and bathroom areas are exposed to people as they walk by, which could be solved with a simple curtain or privacy screen. The room we stayed in was very private, and off the main walking paths, which we liked a lot. Next time (if there is one) we would choose one of the rooms on the "wilder" waters, for the experience, and would also recommend those rooms to anyone else.

Food: We loved the food - it was very nice, though would have like more options...we were there 3 days and by the third day the menu (it stays the same with 5 or so options for each course) was getting a bit old, because we had tried the two or so options that we were interested in, by then. The atmosphere is amazing when you are eating in front of the falls and pool.

Restaurant/Bar: Nice ambiance and you can pick to sit up or down near the pool. Our biggest disappointment of the stay, however, was that our lunch/afternoon lounging time was interrupted by very large families with children, who had come for the day to swim. The pool is very close to the dining areas, so your relaxing lunch turns into a loud kids pool time. At the price you pay for the lodge, you expect the type of luxury and privacy of a quiet haven. This was unfortunate. We had gone during Easter, though, so I'm sure the groups were larger than normal. The rooms are so incredible, large, beautiful that you want to spend your whole day there anyway, so spending time in the common areas isn't such a big deal.

Pool Area: Again, this resort is incredible - the pool is literally carved out of the river rock and you are separated from the actual Nile River by mere feet. We were lucky enough to get the pool to ourselves one morning, but again, if you go for a dip near meal times, you will be swimming for all to see. Again, i would recommend that the lodge be more careful about its day-guests, because one group of men were there one day just staring at the women in the pool. It is truly such an amazing little pool, you want to enjoy it, but instead you feel a bit exposed. If you get the pool to yourself or a few others, it is incredible!

Service: Loved every one of the staff members...every time we asked for something they responded quickly, only one morning they forgot to bring us our coffee, but they were just starting at that point so we didn't hold it against them. The managers were lovely and very open to feedback.

Massage: The masseuse is AMAZING! I've had a handful of massages in uganda and this was by far the best.

For relaxation and just getting away, I highly recommend getting a room at Wildwaters and staying in it the entire time...this place will wash all your cares away. However, I would recommend very much that the lodge move toward eliminating its Day Visitors so the common areas could be enjoyed, and focus on giving its high-paying overnight customers a private, quiet, and luxurious experience

Room Tip: I would recommend the rooms on the falls side of the island, if you want the rushing waters to lull...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank CaseyL406
Reviewed August 1, 2012

My Sister and I, went to Wild waters for a relaxing and restful stay and it was way better than we ever could imagine. The staff were so friendly, the setting was incredible (the constant noise the nile was breathtaking!). It was an all-round amazing place, very much looking forward to going back soon!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank avickers
Reviewed July 17, 2012

My husband and I recently travelled to the lodge for a 3 night stay. It was an absolutely magical stay and you are literally "in" the Nile river (or so it feels!).

The lodge is quiet, calm and peaceful, with the thundering Nile surrounding the island. I thought it would be hard to get to sleep with the noise of the river, but it has its own soothing powers.

It was quite difficult to get to (we had to drive from Entebbe airport and stay overnight in Kampala), but once you get there, have a short trip in a canoe to access the island, it is totally worth it.

Very lovely stay, with very friendly staff. I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple