“Best of Uganda!”

and 1 more site!
Wildwaters Lodge
Ranked #1 of 30 Specialty Lodging in Jinja
Reviewed May 24, 2012

This was a fantastic place. Everything was first class, service and the food was the best we had in Africa, and the concept, architecture, walkways- every little detail was just unebeliveble. It is quite expensive, but absolutely worth it!!! The only stressfull thing was that it was so beautiful, we just could not put down our cameras:-)

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Svein L

Reviewed May 5, 2012

A fellow traveler and I were recommended to stop here for lunch in a jaunt to the Source of the Nile. It seemed a bit out of the way, and reservations required prior. We did it anyway, and it was absolutely worth it. First you boat across the Nile, then down a hidden path, through the woods, and then.....the rapids surround you, it is truly one of the most unexpectedly drop-dead gorgeous views I've ever seen. The lunch was excellent, right by a dipping pool filled with cleaned Nile river water, overlooking and surrounded by extensive rapids. Pictures don't do it justice. We peeked into the rooms, and I wished I could have a second honeymoon. I'll never forget this place.

IF YOU HAVE THE CHANCE, GO THERE

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank chris g
Reviewed May 4, 2012

This was a birthday present and it was fantastic. It was a shame we only stayed for one night but we will definitely go back, if only for Sunday lunch as the food was terrific.

As the name suggests the place is near water, in fact it's on an island and you have to park up and go down to the small jetty to be rowed across in a small open row boat. It's only a short trip but as you approach on your left you will see a large octagonal green canvas "tent" on stilts over the water. There is decking outside and to the left is a roll top bath ! (although you may want to bathe at night for you would be seen by anyone arriving). This was where we were staying. Inside it was huge with dark wood floors, a wooden roof and "windows" in the canvas sides. There was a huge bed with a beautifully draped mosi net, desk and chair, several comfortable chairs, lounger, wooden chest etc. The bathroom had a huge carved stone sink and stone floor and splash back shower. Outside was a decking area which overlooked the river. You could access this by unzipping and folding back the canvas door. Our front door (wooden) was popular with the Helmeted Guineafowl which were wandering about.

We had a nice winding walk to the main building along a wooden walkway through the trees. Here there was a small seating area with books, a larger area near the bar and a small swimming pool outside. There was a telescope set up to view the river and we got to see a seal as it basked on a smooth rock amidst the foaming water. As previously mentioned the food was excellent.

It is possible to do some strenuous activities here (white water rafting), but we didn't, choosing to relax instead.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Rosalind D
Reviewed April 29, 2012

My wife and I had a great time at Wildwaters Lodge. We went to just relax and it was great. The food was awesome and the location is breathtaking. We enjoyed walking around the island on the walking trails just taking it all in.
We will go back.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Ian F
Reviewed April 6, 2012

My wife and I just went for lunch. A short 35 minute drive from Jinja. We took a small boat to the island where we were welcomed to a beautiful paradise. A boardwalk stretches in and around the island, where the walks are tree covered.

Lunch was under a thatched roof a few meters away from rushing rapids. The views were incredible. My steak was average; wife's pork chops were great. You won't complain about the food, but the surrounds make you forget to even take a bite.

Unique wood carvings decorate the island. Carved stone sinks make nice accents to each wash room.

Head out a little early to get a tour of the island and then relax by the water after lunch. Bring a nice book.

Room Tip: Rooms are available on two sides of the island. One side is more peaceful, quiet vistas. The other...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Bobby G
Reviewed March 12, 2012

Two friends of mine took me and my fiancee here for the day. I was so impressed. I've lived in Uganda for 14 years and I have seen it all. The staff was fantastic from the guys who rowed the boats to the owner himself. Everyone was very accommodating and professional. The food was exquisite. Best fish I have ever had. The cocktail was perfect. The view of the rapids was simply breathtaking. The pool was wonderful. The bathrooms/toilets were done in a very unique fashion. I loved it. We had to cut our day trip short because it started to rain. But I have nothing but wonderful things to say about this place. Now that I know how much it cost per night, I'm going to make a budget to ensure I can wake up in that beautiful place.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank SmilingDee
Reviewed March 9, 2012

The lodge has a unique location on an island in the River Nile surrounded by the Nile Rapids. The rooms are spacious with high ceilings and very elegantly furnished - attached is a generous ensuite bathroom.
The balcony offers breathtaking views of the rapids and rain forest, with many colourful birds flying by. There was a special treat of a free standing bath on the balcony; what an experience listening to the roaring rapids while having a soak. The natural pool by the dining area was also adjacent to the wildwaters. There was a reasonable library especially for kids.
The staff were very caring; always around tending to our needs making us feel welcome. In all our travels we have never come across such a 'Pearl' - well worth the expense. We will certainly visit again.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family