“Adrift but not far Apart”

Adrift Adventures - Raft the Nile
Ranked #3 of 13 Tours in Jinja
More attraction details
Owner description: Heart-pounding whitewater rafting excitement; unequalled anywhere on the planet!For the serious adrenaline junkies. Join the Adrift team on the Nile for the wildest ride of your life. Expect to be washed from the raft by the mighty Nile whitewater and spend some time beneath a capsized raft. Finish off your day with an exhilarating river surfing ride at Superhole on either boogie boards or one of our surfboards (if you have some surfing experience).
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We went with Adrift rafting the end of July 2013. Our rafting guide was Tutu. We had a diverse group of previous rafters (our family had rafted before in the Tetons and California), non-rafters, and 1 non-swimmer. The group comprised of 2 families and our driver from African Adventure Travelers, as well as the guide from Adrift. With the 2 families we had 5 adults (including our driver) and 3 teenagers. Tutu our guide was great and started out with basic instructions as well as tipping the boat over, giving us rafting buddies and overall made us feel safe with the instructions and demonstrations he made us demonstrate as well. He explained to us before each rapid the various routes: the 100% tip over , the 50% tip over and the rare tip over. For the most part if there was one who did not want to tip over he went that route. So sort of minority ruled for safety!!!! I thought that was great! We had a wonderful time, the mid day food was great, just hated seeing the leftovers thrown away!!
I can say that there were a few rafters in the other boats that were from my opinion going to be scared or scarred for life. One girl probably broke her nose and another girl who had a difficult time getting out of the rapid after falling overboard because the tipped boat was above her holding her under. She thought she was going to die, and she was practically hysterical! She accounts that she felt her guide had tipped the boat on purpose, for the thrill!
Very glad we had Tutu as our guide, he was knowledgeable, fun and showed us the kind of Ugandan we saw time after time on our travels. We feel privileged to have had him as our guide on the Nile with Adrift and very glad he did not feel the need to "thrill" us, but keep us safe instead.
We opted not to swim for the 40 or so minutes in the flat/smooth area of the Nile because of the possibility of Schistosomiasis, also known as bilharzia (bill-HAR-zi-a), is a disease caused by parasitic worms. We had a very nice conversation with Tutu instead.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

I would highly recommend Adrift Adventures for anyone looking to raft on the Nile. I think you get a great value with them, as well as a fun and safe experience. We did the full-day. For $125, we got transport from our hotel in Kampala, breakfast, lunch, post-rafting snacks/beer, and one-night stay at their camp, in addition to the experience. The guides were very clear about safety instructions and I felt very safe. When our group decided that we didn't want to flip over, the guide made sure that we didn't. The rafting experience itself is great (class 4 and 5 rapids), you can also swim in the Nile during long stretches with no rapids. The Adrift camp has a great location next to the river with a restaurant, bar, Wifi - you can even do upside down kayak shots (which is exactly what it sounds like). The accommodations are dormitory-style and basic, but sufficient. Overall I had a great time!

1  Thank mstrniste
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Adrift was a great rafting company! I would recommend them to anyone wanting to white-water raft the Nile with a fun group of guides. They did a good job of communicating safety details, joking around, and reassuring those of us who were nervous. Sadulu was our guide, and he was simply excellent. Our group had a wonderful time with him; every single one of us wanted to go back the next day and do it again! He had a good sense of humor, but he also was kind to the 3 of us who were really nervous before the whole thing started.

The lunch served for the whole-day rafting trip was scrumptious! There wasn't a whole lot of time to eat it, which was a little sad to me. Definitely try to eat something before you go, because I could barely eat breakfast, so I was almost shaking with hunger by the time lunch arrived. The day was well-planned, though--Adrift has done a great job of thinking through what inexperienced folks can handle in a day of rafting.

One critique about the schedule: at the end of the day, Adrift served a (delicious!) light dinner and beer, and we spent quite a while just hanging out before the 2 hour drive to Adrift's camp...for those of us who don't like beer and who were ready to fall into our beds exhausted, it felt like a really long time. If we had taken a towel and dry clothes to change into, I think it would have been less annoying.

The major critique I would give would be that there was no mention of bringing cash to tip our guide. We had been told that we could leave everything at Adrift's camp because we wouldn't really need anything for the day. Well, at the end everyone else tipped their guides but we didn't have cash, so we ended up having to leave our tip with the desk clerk at the camp, hoping it made it to Sadulu. Also, as someone else mentioned, there wasn't really any note that we should bring a flash drive or cash for pictures at the end of the trip. In fact, prior to the trip, we were told that we could get pictures after the trip, but at the end of the day, it turned out that getting pictures 'post-trip' was actually a 10 minute offer, not something available later that evening. We were able to get them, but there was definitely miscommunication about the picture situation.

All in all, go with Adrift! They're excellent.

Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

Whitewater rafting the source of the Nile just sounds epic. The beautiful scenery and the natural wonder cracks even the biggest skeptics. Our guide, Tutu, was wonderful and made sure to give us a combination of adrenaline, flipping, and measured and contained fun. We unfortunately went on one of the busiest days of the year, so it felt like herding cattle. Some of the staff (Americans?) Members were getting rude and pushy at times, which was annoying. But that was minor compared to the overall experience. We also really appreciated the free lodging at the Backpackers place in Jinja, which was serene and secluded--just what we needed.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

First of all, I loved the rafting. The company, Adrift is top notch. They are a fun company that makes you feel like you are always in good hands and that safety is their top priority. At the same time, however, they are fun. They are always laughing and joking with everyone and those that were nervous, they definitely put their minds at ease. Also, we had a fantastic lunch in the middle and free drinks at the end. All in all a great trip.

So why the average rating? Because they did not bother to tell me or anyone else that you needed cash to pay for the photos and you needed to supply your own USB drive if you wanted to buy the pictures. I checked on their website as well and there is no mention of this. I was extremely sad to find this out because I really wanted to buy a set of photos. All in all, a great day rafting, but they should let you know in advance that they only accept CASH for photos.