“Great oasis in Jinja”
Review of Adrift Riverbase

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jinja
Adrift Riverbase
Ranked #11 of 27 Specialty Lodging in Jinja
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Great oasis in Jinja”
Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the camp for 4 nights. 2 in a chalet and 2 in the dorms. 60$ for a chalet is way too expensive, but the dorms are well priced at 10$. Be sure to get a bed with a thick enough mattress.
Facilities are great. The staff was very helpfull. Ruth was a good help with transport to Sipi Falls and Nairobi.
The place can get very hectic in the morning with bungee jumpers and rafters, but it just adds to the life of the place.
I recommend staying there if you need a breather. It is out of town, so you won't see much of Jinja.

• Stayed June 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Rota, Andalucia, Spain
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Our groups trip to to Adrift was Awesome! We chose the Rafting and Bungee package and had the time of our lives. We began at the starting point with a small breakfast and headed posed for group pics on the way to the rafts. Our guide was great and continually tried to keep everyone engaged in the entire experience. We stopped at the half way point for a filling lunch before heading down the final stretch. At the end, they had a few small appetizers for us with some cold refreshments. The entire staff was great and I could not have asked for more. That night, we all hung out at the bar and partied until the morning hours. One of the staff (Rodgers) noticed was more than helpful and took care of any situation that came up. My only issue is that I wish it were cooler in the rooms we were staying. I am a huge AC person, but the rooms we chose did not have that option. They did provided nice beds and mosquito net though. I cant wait o go back for another trip!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Had one of the best times of my life here! Great vibe, great everything! Staff was very friendly, everyone staying was also great. The food at the bar was not the best, but everything else more than made up for it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We came to Adrift after volunteering with EAP, The resort was friendly, easy going and extremely forthcoming. Very cheap and very accessible. The links to Jinja and the Nile resort where amazing and the staff extremely friendly. Will be returning next year. Only recommendation is that the resort is very clsoe to the water so if you are a mozzie's best friend take extra precautions for those bites !.

Room Tip: A dorm room , you meet some incredible people
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Leuven, Belgium
Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

I stayed there one night included on my overland tour and one extra night. However, they had overbookings and tried to kick me out of my room (which was good by the way) in the morning. Every1 of my group had to go their with their booking confirmations and eventually 2 had to be relocated.. Very busy place for overland tours plus a lot of bungee jumping clients make it a bit chaotic in the bar area. Food quality is very good but service takes a long time and not everyone speeks English that well. Prices are reasonable. Nice view on the Nile with lots of birds and monkeys around!

• Stayed December 2012
Vancouver Island, Canada
Reviewed December 13, 2012

My husband and I stayed here with an overland camping group. We decided to "upgrade" to a room because of a torrential downpour and because the bar gets really loud at night. They charged us $65 american dollars (we are canadian) for a room that smelled musty and did not even have a toilet. Compared to the way cheaper prices we paid for much nicer rooms in East Africa I considered this to be completely outrageous. On the plus side the bar has a great view of the river, the walk through the local village is something I will always cherish, and I loved watching the monkeys play and eat fruit from the front porch of our room.

Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Westcoast4866

Travelers are raving about these Jinja hotels

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2012

Adrift has to be seen in the context of what it is - essentially a backpackers short stay put down. It has 2 person tents under thatch roofs, dorms which sleep 8 I think and two or three chalets. I stayed in a chalet at US$50 per night, which I don't consider to be cheap for the accommodation provided. You get a single room with double bed - that's it. No meals, no ensuite, no beds made in the morning, no daily room clean. The chalet would be lovely if it were not right next to the bar, which occasionally thumps with loud music well into the small hours, and if it had toilet facilities that would also bee an improvement - then $50 might be a better deal.

It was also disappointing not to be able to get coffee early in the morning. I like to get up early and spend some quiet morning time with Africa over a cup of coffee. Sadly coffee doesn't appear until the manageress decides to haul her ample self out of her pit, which if it's been a party night the night before (and most nights are) is well after 9 o'clock, by which time Africa has done half a day's work and is getting noisy, sweaty and less enchanting.

Don't expect hot water in the showers either. Thank the Lord I visited during the warm months so a cold shower, whilst requiring some initial swift and sharp intakes of breath, ultimately proved to be a more or less enjoyable man test.

But all of that said Adrift is a back packer/overland truck stop, not a 4, 3, 2 or possibly even 1 star resort. If you're after back packer accommodation you should find it OK. Don't take your wife there on honeymoon unless you've had enough of her by the time of the best man's speech!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jinja
Speke Hotel
#14 of 101 in Kampala
Golf Course Hotel
Golf Course Hotel
#18 of 101 in Kampala

Been to Adrift Riverbase? Share your experiences!