Surjio's Guest House
Agoda.com
$48
Jumia Travel
  • Restaurant
All reviewspizzalake victoriabrick ovenbanana pancakesthoroughly enjoyed our stayvisiting jinjafeel like familyafrican teapool areagreat optionhis wiferooms are beautifulwonderful placenice poolugandaskypenile
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 24, 2013

We stayed for 8 days at the guesthouse. Me, my wife and the baby of only one month old.
The owner and his employees welcomed us. The food is good, the rooms are clean, a beautiful garden, a nice pool, very friendly employees and the place is safe. What do you want more?
From the house it is just 10 minutes walking to the centre of town: main street.
And when you want to play golf: the course is situated between the guesthouse and the " source of the nile". We had a wonderfull time and will centainly come back.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 24, 2013

My time at Surjios has been perfect! The staff are friendly, the rooms are clean and the grounds are beautifully kept with a very inviting pool. Over the last four years in Jinja I have failed to find a hotter, more powerful shower, it's a dream!The owner, Surj, is very invested in his patrons and is eager to please and get to know you. This is my first time staying and there really is no place I would rather stay. As for the pizza, I've been coming regularly for over a year (often more than once a week!) and it never gets old. The pepperoni and new tandoori are especially great. Thanks Surj!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 5, 2013

This place was a good place to stay for a Jinja visit. The place was clean, water hot in the shower, pool clean and refreshing, service friendly. A relaxing spot to sit by the pool. Lovely grounds with lots of interesting birds. Would gladly stay there again.
We had no mosquitoes but the neighbourhood dogs are a nuisance howling and barking at night.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Stayed for one night. We were the only guests staying there. I though this would mean a quite relaxing time... Not so!
The manager just wasn't around.
We arrived after an 8hr drive from Fort Portal looking forward to a cold beer and a swim. Sorry... They don't sell beer. You have to bring your own. Would have been nice to know this when we booked.
Staff were just walking around the lawn and pool area having loud mobile phone conversations while people were having dinner.
We were put in a room that was near the pool bathrooms and also were used as the staff bathrooms though out the night and early morning. Banging doors, flushing tiolets etc....
Got up the next day to have a swim and a read by the pool, except someone decided it would be a good time to clean the pool and sweep the entire area (even under my chair while i was sitting on it)
The view they once had has been built out by a half finished buliding.
We were glad we only booked one night.
The pizza is great though.... Just don't stay there.
And don't forget to bring your own beer!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Whoozya
surjios-guesthouse, Owner at Surjio's Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2013

Thank you for staying with us and I am sincerely sorry to hear of your complaint. I was out of the country & have since looked into your concerns. As we have CCTV in public areas I am able to look carefully. I did see that the pool staff was cleaning at 9 am. We try to make sure the all areas are kept clean & safe. We do start cleaning the pool at around 8.30- 9.30 am (we can't clean earlier as this would disturb guests by the pool rooms). Nevertheless, I do agree that the attendant should have in the least, asked you if it was ok to sweep the area. I HAVE ADDRESSED THIS ISSUE.
With regards to use of the pool bathrooms, I saw this happened twice (and NOT ALL NIGHT) & again apologise if this disturbed you. Again I have taken measures so this does not re-occur.
With regards to beer, I make no apology, as the website clearly states this. Also please note, we have many guests who like a beer, wine, etc and our staff are more than happy to buy this for you at, NO PROFIT. No one (that I know of) has got upset over this!
The half finished building is not ours (next door) & have no control over local authority rules!! With due respect, you are visiting a developing country and there are properties (all parts of Uganda) that are in desperate renovations.
I also think it is very wrong of you to state "don't stay there", based on the fact our staff was just trying to please by keeping the area tidy and that we don't sell alcohol.
Once again, I thank you for your input and staying with us.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

I stayed here on my own for four nights and really enjoyed it. I've stayed in both the older section (rooms with balconies) and the new poolside apartments. Both are lovely, clean and spacious. I now prefer poolside as you are sheltered from the noise coming from Jinja town. It can be a little noisy with children in the pool during the day, but the vibe is chilled and Surjio is a legend. Staff were so wonderful, friendly and professional. Delicious food! Highly recommend staying here - especially if you have children as the pool is fantastic!

Room Tip: Poolside rooms are a little more modern and are a bit more sheltered from the noise at night coming from Jinja town.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo