“Best showers in town!”

Surjio's Guest House
Ranked #3 of 37 Jinja B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 24, 2013

My time at Surjios has been perfect! The staff are friendly, the rooms are clean and the grounds are beautifully kept with a very inviting pool. Over the last four years in Jinja I have failed to find a hotter, more powerful shower, it's a dream!The owner, Surj, is very invested in his patrons and is eager to please and get to know you. This is my first time staying and there really is no place I would rather stay. As for the pizza, I've been coming regularly for over a year (often more than once a week!) and it never gets old. The pepperoni and new tandoori are especially great. Thanks Surj!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Surjio's Guest House

Reviewed October 5, 2013

This place was a good place to stay for a Jinja visit. The place was clean, water hot in the shower, pool clean and refreshing, service friendly. A relaxing spot to sit by the pool. Lovely grounds with lots of interesting birds. Would gladly stay there again.
We had no mosquitoes but the neighbourhood dogs are a nuisance howling and barking at night.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Stayed for one night. We were the only guests staying there. I though this would mean a quite relaxing time... Not so!
The manager just wasn't around.
We arrived after an 8hr drive from Fort Portal looking forward to a cold beer and a swim. Sorry... They don't sell beer. You have to bring your own. Would have been nice to know this when we booked.
Staff were just walking around the lawn and pool area having loud mobile phone conversations while people were having dinner.
We were put in a room that was near the pool bathrooms and also were used as the staff bathrooms though out the night and early morning. Banging doors, flushing tiolets etc....
Got up the next day to have a swim and a read by the pool, except someone decided it would be a good time to clean the pool and sweep the entire area (even under my chair while i was sitting on it)
The view they once had has been built out by a half finished buliding.
We were glad we only booked one night.
The pizza is great though.... Just don't stay there.
And don't forget to bring your own beer!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Whoozya
surjios-guesthouse, Owner at Surjio's Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2013

Thank you for staying with us and I am sincerely sorry to hear of your complaint. I was out of the country & have since looked into your concerns. As we have CCTV in public areas I am able to look carefully. I did see that the pool staff was cleaning at 9 am. We try to make sure the all areas are kept clean & safe. We do start cleaning the pool at around 8.30- 9.30 am (we can't clean earlier as this would disturb guests by the pool rooms). Nevertheless, I do agree that the attendant should have in the least, asked you if it was ok to sweep the area. I HAVE ADDRESSED THIS ISSUE.
With regards to use of the pool bathrooms, I saw this happened twice (and NOT ALL NIGHT) & again apologise if this disturbed you. Again I have taken measures so this does not re-occur.
With regards to beer, I make no apology, as the website clearly states this. Also please note, we have many guests who like a beer, wine, etc and our staff are more than happy to buy this for you at, NO PROFIT. No one (that I know of) has got upset over this!
The half finished building is not ours (next door) & have no control over local authority rules!! With due respect, you are visiting a developing country and there are properties (all parts of Uganda) that are in desperate renovations.
I also think it is very wrong of you to state "don't stay there", based on the fact our staff was just trying to please by keeping the area tidy and that we don't sell alcohol.
Once again, I thank you for your input and staying with us.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

I stayed here on my own for four nights and really enjoyed it. I've stayed in both the older section (rooms with balconies) and the new poolside apartments. Both are lovely, clean and spacious. I now prefer poolside as you are sheltered from the noise coming from Jinja town. It can be a little noisy with children in the pool during the day, but the vibe is chilled and Surjio is a legend. Staff were so wonderful, friendly and professional. Delicious food! Highly recommend staying here - especially if you have children as the pool is fantastic!

Room Tip: Poolside rooms are a little more modern and are a bit more sheltered from the noise at night coming...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We stayed in Surjio's guesthouse down the road. The apartment was gorgeous, we had our own security, beautiful shower, full size kitchen, and great view of Lake Victoria.
However, the most memorable experience I had here was after we had checked out. I inexplicably left my phone in the reception area when we checked out, we went back to Kampala where we were staying for a few days before flying home. I realized I forgot my phone, called Surjio's, the manager found the phone and brought it TWO HOURS to Kampala and gave it to me with a smile on his face. That is the sort of people you run into over and over again in this beautiful country.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We stayed there for one night. The guest house amenities were nice but it was not very clean. The most important drawback of staying there is that it is FAR from all the major activities Jinja offers. And, you will have a sleepless night unless you are immune to dog barks. The dog barked the whole night while I was there. And the staff told me the dogs were from the village nearby... Still wondering why so many great reviews of this place, if, a quite night can't be guaranteed.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank DaijieH
surjios-guesthouse, Owner at Surjio's Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2013

Thank you for staying with us and sorry to hear about your complaint.
We certainly take great pride in what we do and provide a friendly, clean & safe environment. Cleanliness is our number priority so I just wished you had made clear what was not "so clean".
You say the biggest drawback was that we were far from activities! Well, Boating and fishing trips are 4 mins walk from the guesthouse. Source of the Nile and Sunset cruises are a 20 min walk (or minutes in a car). Jinja town (and restaurants, banks, etc) is 15 walk. Rafting is arranged and guests are picked up by the rafting company.
So, I really don't know what activities you were looking for.
As for STRAY dogs (virtually in all the country), this is not something we can control.
But nevertheless thank you for staying at Surjios.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

We received a number of recommendations for a few different places in Jinja, but the recommendations for Surjios came out on top. We have had a longer stay in Jinja at Surjios Apartments and come over to the guest house nearly every day. This is a great place, and a number of factors really make it that. First, the ownership is clearly invested in the quality of the place. He himself meets and eats here quite often, which says a lot. Second, we have found the staff to be quite helpful and reassuringly friendly and warm. Third, the pizza is really good. Finally, this place is done with a great balance between amenities and local charm. It doesn't feel sterile and western, but it is not "local charm" in a bad way. We are very pleased indeed.

Room Tip: Just tell them what you need
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family