The Manta Resort
Gecko Nature Lodge(Pemba Island)(Great Value!)
$58
  • Restaurant
$51
$51
$55
Hotel Archipelago(Pemba Island)(Great Value!)
$76
Verani Beach Hotel(Pemba Island)
$42
  • Beachfront
Constance Aiyana(Pemba Island)
$740
$600
Emerald Bay Resort(Pemba Island)
$200
  • Restaurant
All reviewsunderwater roomservice fundimanta familyfishour honeymoonbeach barseafront villagarden roomonce in a lifetimedaily spa treatmentsspice farmscuba diveiced teasuperior gardenspent two nightslocal communitypemba airport
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We stayed at the Manta Resort in August after a 2 weeks Safari trip. After a bumpy ride you arrive at the resort. Greeted by Matthew - the perfect host - you are guided to the terrace where you have your first 'wow'-feeling. The beginning of your stay in paradise. We stayed in the sea-view bungalows and there was the second 'wow'-feeling. And it keeps on going like that. The staff is wonderful, helpful and so much more. The every day massage -if you would have any worries - keeps them away ! The food and drinks ..... Shabani will not have you leaving without hunger or thirst ! The diving team also brings you to the most fantastic underwater sites ! When we had a little problem with our returning flight Stacey was there to help us and everything was solved in a finger click ! I hope we can return one day !

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Christa V
Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

Flying into the airport you are immediately aware Pemba isn't ruined by tourism and I hope it stays that way. On arrival we were met by our driver who explained he didn't speak English but handed us a card that had a map of the island and an explanation to enjoy the bumpy ride! The roads are ok but the further North you go the more they become tracks, having read another review on trip advisor I knew what to expect. This just adds to the charm that you are going somewhere truly special. There are no signs directing you to the hotel and as you drive through the forest and then the village you do wonder where you will end up. Fear not the journey is worth it. You will be greeted on arrival with a warm damp cloth to wipe the sweat off, a world class friendly greeting and a cool drink. We were taken to the veranda for our first glimpse of the sun setting and the amazing view that we spent every day watching the world go by. This place is special, our service fundi - fasil (flame if you get to know him) was there for whatever we needed at every meal. We stayed in a superior garden room and I could not fault it. They solar heat the water so please give it a chance to run through before you think it is broken, it only took one cold shower before it was explained to me! The staff are all out of this world for service and if that is how people from Pemba treat people I wish more of them lived in England, I miss their friendliness for sure. Even the guys who rake the beach every morning where friendly and it is a safe place to be with no hassles at all. You will want to learn Swahili just to return the compliment. There are 2 food options for lunch and dinner with freshly caught fish that day as one of the options, I cannot fault a single meal and as a fussy eater I ate everything, the chef is amazing.
Matt the manager has something amazingly special going on off the shore and I hope all those who read this and go to the hotel get to experience what we did. We were sworn to secrecy before it is finished, but for someone like me who cannot snorkel or scuba dive because I am so short sighted I gained an experience that to my knowledge is the only place in the world I would have got it. Please go here with respect for the proud people of Pemba, don't go to change them go to embrace them, they will show you what relaxing truly is in an amazing setting.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Morrispenni
MattManta, Owner at The Manta Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2013

Thank you very much for thoughtful words. It was such a pleasure to share Pemba with you both.
Your review really meant a lot to all of us that is the Manta family. Thank you for helping us keep Pemba a real and genuine place .

The Manta Family

Reviewed August 4, 2013

We arrived in Pemba Island after a 10 day safari trip and we had no idea what to expect as we had booked a honeymoon package from an agency in our country without really paying attention to the "relaxing" part.

We stayed 8 days in total and we absolutely loved the place!

The first day we were greeted by the hotel managers and got introduced to our personal "guide" in the resort (Haji) who would take care of us throughout our stay. After we watched the beautiful sunset we were taken to our room (Superior Garden room). The room was nice but, lets say, not appropriate for honeymoon as it is pretty basic. We asked to be moved to a Seafront villa room and fortunately there was one left. The managers were kind enough to give us a really good price to upgrade into the new room which was absolutely great!

The food was great (gained 3kg during this holiday :p) and was always fresh! Freshly baked bread every day with nice salsas and tasty fish (crabs, king fish etc) that local fishermen catch every morning next to the resort when the tide was low. Desert was a bit poor with the exception of the amazing banoffee pie which was actually one of the best deserts I've ever had!
The cocktails were outstanding with my personal favourite the lemongrass and ginger.
Haji was kind enough to make me a bloody mary after I gave him instructions on how to make it and he also taught me how to make other amazing cocktails. His service was impeccable, always with a smile and ready to serve us. He told us great stories, taught us how to play a local game which we are now addicted to and took us to his village to see how they live! The kids of the village were the happiest kids we've ever seen and we loved the whole experience!

The diving was also really great with David and Makame (sorry if I spelled name wrong) being really passionate and they could pass the excitement to us! Great corals with loads of small fish around and we were lucky enough to see the infamous frog fish!
There was also free massage every day with great selection from head massage to full body experience. The pool was also really nice (we like staying by the pool) and even if it was small it was always pretty empty so we loved staying by it.

After the hot days of suntanning and after a great massage you will love having a cocktail to the bar and watch the most amazing night sky full of stars!

We really loved the manta resort and we will definitely return one day especially to try the new underwater room they are building (unfortunately wasn't finished when we were there) which will have breathtaking underwater views!

We would like to thank everyone in the resort who contributed to a honeymoon trip that we will never forget!

Room Tip: You will not need a superior garden room (the one with AC) during the dry season (especially june-august) as the weather is good enough and not hot! For absolutely breathtaking view choose the seafront villa!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank P_Mathioudakis
Reviewed July 18, 2013

This is the place to spend a relaxing wonderful time by the beach, diving, snorkeling off the beaten tracks. We spent 10 days here over Christmas and New Year and it was great! It takes some time to get here but when you arrive you are taken well care of. All food and beverages are included and very good. You have the beach by yourself and swimming is good at high tide while part of the day you can observe the local village people who use the low tide for cultivating and harvesting what ever they find out there. The diving experience was wonderful. The staff is very friendly and accommodate any request you would have. We had a fundu (waiter and constant help with anything you'd need) named Hamezi and he was so very friendly. We were even offered to come with him to his church and a visit to his house in a nearby village. This was a great experience for all of us (specially for our children of age 11,13). Don't forget the daily spa treatment which was great!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank HBrof
Reviewed June 11, 2013

It is with a sad feeling Im sitting here in Manta main area and waiting for Eddie the driver to come and take us to Pemba airport. Normally, I tend to miss home after a long journey, but not this time. Not even close.
The trip to Pemba and The Manta Resort has touched me on a completely different level than other destinations and hotels. Exactly how is hard to describe, but I will surely return to this remote, secluded and friendly corner of the world.

Here are some tips on what you can do if you choose to come to Manta:

- Say hi to Ali Omar the manager of the Manta organic farm and let him proudly display all the crops that eventually will be on your dinner plate.
- Let Haji take you on a trip to the sea with a small catamaran built with wood from bambu, mango and mangrove
- Ediie will take you to the Ngezi rain forest. He can also take you to the little coffee shop in Wete for coffee and their famous Halawa.
- If you want to learn to dive, just a talk with David, one of the best instructor I have ever met.
- Have a talk with the kitchen if you want an authentic lunch with Ugali to taste real East African cuisine. Also dont forget to to order a fruit plate with mango, pineapple and passion fruit to die for.
Besides all this, Sele, Ali, Lucas and the other guys will teach you basic Swahili, bring you to their villages and proudly show you their houses.

We will befinitely come back to Pemba and The Manta Resort.

Room Tip: We had the Sea front villa and can highly recommend it.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple