We will be coming back to Manta. Five days was definitely not enough.
What I like most about Manta is that it is not a luxury resort plunked down on a beautiful tropical island. It is a luxury resort that grew out of a beautiful tropical island. Everything...from the lodge, to the villas, to the beach bar and the umbrellas...was built by people from the surrounding villages. The staff are local, the food is sourced from the fishermen whose local harbor happens to be 200 metres up the beach. As a result, the local community seems to respect and value the resort and its guests, and I did not sense any of the animosity felt by locals near other resorts I've been to.
- Snorkling right off the beach, or via a short sea-kayak paddle; we saw hundreds of crazy fish, morey eels, and giant starfish (we didn't dive, but hear it's fantastic)
- The ginger lemongrass sling...quite possibly the best cocktail I've ever had
- Getting to know Selle (or any of the other 'butlers' for lack of a better word, who are matched up one-to-one to take care of you throughout your visit)
- Incredibly fresh seafood and high quality cooking
- Big bed, nice open room, with gorgeous sea views (in seaside villa)
- Be careful not to lock your partner in your villa...it's very easy to accidentally slide the bolt on the outside while leaving. Trust me, I know.
- Take advantage of the daily massages
- Bring your own suncream, and lots of it...it's a bit hard to come by locally
- Don't stress about flight connections etc...these are small planes, and we were told they would wait if we were a bit late
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Elevated and crafted along an idyllic island beach, The Manta Resort offers privacy, romance, adventure, and diving on East Africa's finest island sanctuary. Pemba Island for real. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- The Manta Hotel Pemba Island
- Manta Hotel Pemba Island