“Paradise in Pemba (off the beaten-track, raw beauty)”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Manta Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Pemba Island
The Manta Resort
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Pemba Island
Paris, France
“Paradise in Pemba (off the beaten-track, raw beauty)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

I have been to Pemba Island 3 times since the island was first opened to foreigners circa 1990 to go diving and it hasn't changed a lot except that today there is the newly-upgraded Manta Resort which is a lovely, comfortable hotel but has remained quiet. Zanzibar, in contrast, is well on the road to "development" with its international airport and numerous top-end hotels and growing crowds. I first went to Zanzibar in the late 80s (1980s, that is !) after it was just opened for tourism and it was a VERY sleepy destination with only one decent hotel, the Stone Inn, I believe it was called at the time, which didn't even have mosquito nets !! There weren't any car rentals but we managed to rent a 4 wheel drive jeep for a week for $100 in cash from a General in the Tanzanian Army. His military jeep had an official flag and all the police and soldiers on the island would salute as the mzungo drove by..... Those were the days !! .......If you are looking for a yet still "undiscovered" destination, Pemba Island just to the North of Zanzibar is very similar in topography to Zanzibar and just as beautiful but not yet developed. The beaches and coral reefs in Pemba are untouched and astoundingly beautiful. The blindingly-white coral sand beaches are amongst the most beautiful in the World, Bahamas included ! The 40 kilometers of coral reefs are truly virgin and untouched except for the occasional Pembian fisherman rowing by in his dugout. Pemba hosts some of the best dive sites in the World with it famous Manta rays and well-known herds of dolphins. There are a myriad of shallow reefs where you can snorkel in an aquarium of fish (without much current for children) and you'll be the only boat on the horizon. For accomplished divers, there are dozens of fantastic dives to do as well. (see photos)

The Manta Resort is a very relaxing yet luxurious lodge. The views from the restaurant, bars and pool over Pemba Sound are amazing. The food is delicious. Mostly locally-caught fish and seafood. The beach is one of the nicest I've ever seen and on a bad day there will be 10 people sharing it with you....the service is very friendly and low key....no nightclub but you can enjoy watching the star-filled skies......( a few photos attached)

We enjoyed a special local cultural treat one night where the villagers came to the beach for a traditional Pembian "Voodoo Dance" near the sacred caves......now this isn't some Club Med show for the white folk but a tradition on Pemba Island and some of the hotel guests and most of the employees joined in....the rythmic sound of the drums and local Swahili chanting and dancing had an exorcism effect on some people and several of the dancers started to thrive on the ground and speak in tongues to release the spirits and devils ( it wasn't evident they were all evil) in them. Even one apparently beleaguered and frustrated French banker was taken in by the spell and sunk into a trance-like state and started to dance uncontrollably and screamed as if he was being burnt on the stake....so much so that he scared the locals and me too !! (He is probably a derivatives trader who lost a fortune ??...)......Anyway, it was quite a scene and completely unrehearsed. Thisthe stuff Life and travel should be made of ! Maybe you will be lucky enough to experience the same ?? I highly recommend Pemba Island and the Manta Resort.

Room Tip: The rooms on the sea front are higher-end and more expensive but they all have an amazing view of th...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Franklin C
MattManta, Manager at The Manta Resort, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for your time in writing this review. You really did connect with Pemba and we are just happy to have been part of that. We hope to have you back for a fourth time.
Warm regards from The Manta Family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Hebrew first
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

Have seen a number of excellent reviews of this resort thus I do not feel needing to add another one! Perhaps I should make it simple: remoteness, simplicity and the friendliness of staff are the best part of this resort. General manager makes sure everyone is happy by talking to each guest group, your waiter (you will have a designated one throughout your stay) will go out of his way (I had coffee delivered every morning to my villa as I wanted it before going to dining area for breakfast), pool staff will look for empty deck-chair for you and try help to get extra mattress if you wish one, diving shop staff will try to squeeze you in outings when you have no booking but still wish to go out.

As it is in such a remote place, materialistic request may not be met (or they will have to fly someone in as they did have an electrician fly in to fix AC in my villa...!), but if that is what one wants, it is best to stay in Zanzibar. This place is really for tranquillity and peace of mind...

And did I mention - there is no music in the resort except new years eve. GM said to me 'every night is a special night here, but new years' eve is special for everyone incl. Staff. So we play some music, just for one evening.'. If you like the sound of this, you will definitely love staying at Manta resort.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear guests,
We are very grateful for you review and thank you so much for pointing out the essence of The Manta Resort. We will be here, in our remote spot on Pemba Island, to welcome you back when you again need to break away from it all.
Kindest regards,
The Manta Family
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

I have to confess from the outset that I, seemingly like some many other people, am devastatingly addicted to this haven of tranquility. I first came here, by chance, some four years ago when travelling with a diving friend on a three week trip around Zanzibar/Pemba. That short four day stay I had here, defined my whole holiday. I promised that I would come back and finally I did, this time with my girlfriend. The three adjectives that best describe this place would be: natural, untouched and serene. All of the of warmth and happiness felt on my previous trip came flooding back the moment I strolled out onto the terrace, flanked with bougainvilleas and framed by a deep turquoise sea, the sunlight dappled across a wide horizon. This is Instant Karma in the flesh and was quickly followed by another in the form of my reunion with the wonderful staff who look after you with a friendship not easily forgotten. Together, the deep and pervasive beauty and real and heartfelt relationships, make an intoxicating combination. But I am not just writing for myself; all these feelings and experiences have been shared afresh by my girlfriend who has purred throughout our eight day stay with a fabulous contentment.

If you like diving, then dive in the captivating crystal-blue waters and wonder at the things you will see; if beaches, then indulge on the white coral sands that stretch out before you as the waves lap around your ears, but just don't forget to take a sunset cruise on a local fishing Dhow and maybe try your hand as a helm. Dine at night under the stars and feast on fresh lobster caught while you sipped on spiced tea (or the wide variety of excellent complimentary drinks) or ate yet another delicious lunch. In eight days we never and now we have to. But we will be back and I hope meet you here too.

Room Tip: Seafront if you're feeling a little extravagant ;)
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Seddonist
MattManta, Manager at The Manta Resort, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Inspired! Thank you so much for your review. You really did capture the magic.
Here's to rekindling the addiction to paradise very soon.
The Manta Family at your service.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

We have travelled around the world and there remains so much to see. So why should we go back somewhere? I don't think we've ever gone back somewhere before despite pledges on leaving some wonderful places. But the Manta is so special that we have not just been back for a second time - this time taking our grown-up kids - but are planning our next visit and the one after that.

Most of the reviews here sum up the special nature of the Manta Resort. This is not a place run by foreigners for people who want to get away from it all but don't care where they go. It is rooted in the community. If you want packaged luxury, this is not the place. It is luxurious in its simplicity.

The people who work there come from the area, and their pride in their work is evident. From the "fundi" who looks after you during your stay (Thank-you Saidi - not just for the amazing care but for bringing us fruit from your home for us to try), to the bar staff, the spa girls, the dive shop (David and Max, you showed us some astonishing sights this time - a whale shark and mantas!) - everyone is special.

Next time we WILL go on a tour. It's just that we couldn't tear ourselves away from the beach with its powder white sand, the diving and the cocktails in the beach bar.

Our three kids were in a standard room and we were in a seafront - all beautiful in their simplicity, comfortable and air conditioned.

The food remains unbelievably delicious - and the dinner on our final night with lobster and seafood spectacular.

What else can we say. This is a special place and we may just move there for ever!

Room Tip: All rooms are good, but the seafront rooms are spectacular
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
We are so grateful for your truly insightful review. It has special meaning when you mention that you will be back and that we, the Manta family, are a big reason for this.
You really did have brilliant luck in sighting the whale shark and next day the manta rays. Thanks for the great pics.
We hope to see you all again soonest.
Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

I wanted to take the the time to write a review about our recent stay at the Manta Resort. My main concern in writing this review is that I would not have enough superlatives to describe the amazing experience we had there.

First of all I should point out that the wonder of the Manta Resort is not in it's fittings and fixtures but in it's remoteness from the hustle and bustle of the western world and of course in it's beautiful settings in the northeastern part of Pemba. It's stunning white beach, lush tropical surroundings and impossibly emerald green/azure blue seas and not forgetting the underwater coral reef. If you are looking for 5 star accommodation in which everything is perfect and the real africa is outside the cocoon of your resort/room then perhaps you should consider another destination. Again if you want a tv in your room and a phone to call for room service then you should look elsewhere. That is not to say that the Manta Resort is not luxurious it is , however it quite rightly reflects the fact it is on a small and poor island in the west Indian ocean. It is designed to fit in with it's surroundings not to seal itself away.

We arrived at the Pemba Resort after a 90 minute drive from Pemba Airport and where transported there in a 4X4 jeep which clearly is a working vehicle. The drive for the most part is on a good road until the last 30 minutes when you pass through the Ungezi Rainforest on a muddy track. The drive is a real eye opener and kept me fascinated despite 24 hrs of travel. On arrival we were warmly greeted by the management and staff and presented with a cold refreshing drink. An earlier reviewer mentioned that they felt they had come to the end of the world but for me a more accurate description would be that it felt like you had come to the end of human civilisation, only to be greeted by the Manta terrace and it's breathtaking vista. Imagine our delight to find out that we had been upgraded to a sea view villa and also that we were only guests in the resort for the first 3 days of our stay! Such luck! The staff at the resort are part of it's charm and were concerned that we had been travelling for a long time so they took us straight to our room and suggested that once we had showered and returned for a late lunch they would explain more about the Resort and what we could expect.

Our "fundi" (chap who looks after you during your entire stay) was Lucas and he was funny and charming - and endlessly patient during our attempts to learn an assortment of words in swahili. Lucas made every effort to make sure that or stay was nothing less then perfect. I was particularly taken back when on my birthday, we where taken down to a private table down at the beach bar (by this point 6 other guest had arrived - the cheek of it!) which was beautifully decorated in bougainvillaea and other local flowers and presented us with a seafood platter containing lobster, king prawns, octopus & king fish - it was sublime. However the surprise did not end there afterwards I was presented with a freshly made and iced birthday cake and some of the staff sang happy birthday in both swahili and english.

The food at the Manta resort is both delicious and plentiful - the Manta Resort buys a lot of it's produce from local farmers and fishermen. The breakfast involves a large platter of fruit, bread, banana bread, creps & honey in it's self a meal and then is followed by eggs, the usual cooked breakfast options and my personal favourite porridge with the local honey. The food is never presented buffet style and is always freshly cooked, generally you are always presented with two options nearly always something from the sea - which was more often then not my preferred choice. Dinner is always a three course affair. The chef is ingenious at working with what I guess most be seasonal and of course locally available produce. I can think of only one disappointment which was the malva pudding which was rather heavy. The chocolate mousse however is almost reason enough in itself to visit the Manta Resort!

We divided our time between the pristine white beach and the pool. Although both took a fall in attendance once we tried our first scuba dive. We booked the introduction to scuba diving course which involved training in the pool and then a dive. David was our instructor who was excellent, he explained things in a way that was clear and easily understood without making us feel like complete dunces. We always felt safe and secure diving with him. Once we had completed the pool side of things the following day we went on our first sea dive. I had always been a fan of snorkelling but diving was mind blowing and leaves snorkelling in the shade! The quantity,diversity and intricacy of the sea life is just quietly simply awesome (in the true sense of the word). The dives last about 45 mins and I can honestly say I did not want it to end. We dived a further 4 times which culminated in the Njao Wall (an underwater cliff) and the Coral Garden - words can not begin to describe it. We saw so many fish - it was like the who's who of Indian Ocean fish - the highlight of which was a sea turtle.

We also undertook a few other trips including the walk to the light house at Kigomasha a fascinating walk with our fundi through local villages where the Manta resort staff lives to the Lighthouse where we met Ali the light house keeper (who would like to invite the world to see his lighthouse) who was very informative on the history of the lighthouse. The view from the top gives you and excellent understanding of the geography of the northeastern peninsula of Pemba. The children in the villages are a delight, they a fascinated by "misungus" (foreigners) passing through and are never happier then when they are having their picture taken. A simple "jambo" (hello) is enough to have them posing all day long.

We also went to the sandbank (the hotel arrange for you to be taken there in a boat with a small outboard motor. The sandbank is a beautiful and pristine island of white sand only visibly during low tide. We took a few local beers with us and snorkelling gear (the snorkelling is excellent). Although you can take your lunch there and have a picnic. I would highly recommend the sandbank if really is magnificent, beautiful and like having your own private idyll for just a few hours.

Another day we went on a sunset cruise on a local dow - so peaceful - again cannot recommend this highly enough. On our final day we went on the walk through the Ungezi Rainforest which was interesting but of all the trips we made this was the one that was the least inspiring - but I suspect this is because we got caught in rain for most of the tour.

They are so many things I have not mentioned - the free daily spa treatment, seeing the starlit night sky on the beach without any light pollution - (it's like someone turned on the christmas lights!). The bush babies sneaking into the main socialising area to steal sugar sachets to feed their addiction, watching the large fruit bats at dusk from our balcony, shooting stars, cocktails on the terrace watching the sunset, falling to sleep lulled by the sound of the waves and the night song of the cicadas - the only sounds.

The Manta resort is a true gem I loved every day of our weeks stay. It's seductive charm lies in it's rustic, laid back manner, in its remoteness, it's tranquil lush surroundings and in it's staff. The resort has approx 20 villas and I can't imagine it would ever feel crowded as it is designed in a way to always feel private. It is a fully inclusive resort (includes alcohol) and a daily spa treatment and of course your own fundi. I would go back there in a heartbeat. It seems funny when I remember being worried that The Manta Resort would not live up to my expectations, because I had built it up so much in my head - but it met them in every way and indeed surpassed them. If you're thinking of visiting The Manta Resort - and you should - Then read all the reviews here on Trip Advisor because they will help you understand exactly the type of paradise you will find yourself in. Then just sit back relax, forget about all your worries and enjoy!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank simon c
MattManta, Manager at The Manta Resort, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Dear Guest

With your words, you seem to have captured the essence of what we at Manta stand for and strive for, everyday. We thank you whole-heartedly for taking the time to write such a compelling and insightful review of The Manta Resort and the family behind it. When our guests leave Manta feeling as you do we know that we have been true to our philosophy; that is authentic, down to earth, and ‘local-community-orientated’ travel and accommodation. Please do return. We have it on good authority that Lucas is ready and waiting to continue with his Swahili tutorials and that our chefs are keen to present you with more locally produced dishes and cakes! Once again, we are sincerely grateful for this sublime account of your stay with us.
england
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

Shall have to disagree with the outstanding reviews for this resort. We felt it had potential but did not deliver overall. Yes the location is lovely and yes it is supremely tranquil. The staff on the whole are accommodating, personable and attentive without being obtrusive.It is rustic in an authentic way but also some areas look tired ( loos in ' reception' and by the pool could do with some attention) whilst paved areas and uneven walkways could be a hazard.We had a seafront villa - pleasantly spacious enough except that you needed to stand on the balcony to see the sea whilst the sunsets( glorious ) were largely shielded by the trees. I found the lighting in our room to be inadequate ( low energy bulbs ) and eating in the evening by hurricane lamp although ' atmospheric' was hard. I struggled with the food- eg same platter served every morning for breakfast ( only discovered on the final day of our trip that cereals were available ) and on some days the regular ( cooked) breakfast was limited. As the resort was running at less than 50 % occupancy during our stay there was no excuse in my mind for running out of staples.Tea and coffee ( excellent ) were made freely available during the day in the lodge but no facilities in the rooms.Again at the end of our stay we were told that we could have ordered early morning drinks for our room . We have been to the Maldives many times and sought out less well known locations with the X / wow factor ( including Zanzibar a few yards ago which was stunning ) so ultimately we were disappointed. The General Manager is very willing to take feedback and we did assure him that the Manta is a bit special but also comes at a price which in my opinion it cannot currently justify.

Room Tip: Suspect that the upgrade to the villa is worth it .
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank mcqueen
MattManta, Communications Manager at The Manta Resort, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Thank you for your comments and we are sorry that your experience of The Manta Resort did not meet your expectations. You are right that as management we welcome feedback and we have taken note of the issues that you have raised. It seems to us, from your review, that there may have been some communication problems between our staff and yourselves, as a lot of important information was delayed in getting to you. We are going to be paying particular attention to this problem so as to ensure that details regarding food and drinks, for example, are communicated at the start of the guests stay, rather than at the end. We have also taken careful note of the problems raised regarding lighting, both in your room and in the dining area, and we will work to ensure that guests do not feel left in the dark, so to speak. We hope that you might return to The Manta Resort in the future only to find as few flaws in this gem as possible.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

My husband and I came to Manta for one week to celebrate our anniversery. We were looking for a Maldives type experience, kind of a once in a life time trip. It met all expectations. When you arrive at the resort you are taken through the open plan bar/chilling area which is tastfully decorated in traditional Zanzibar style. You are greeted by a welcoming staff member with a drink and then taken outside where you see the AMAZING view over the sea - which took our breath away. The dining area overlooks the sea and there is an abundance of tropical flowers framing the view. It is hard to decide which is prettier, the view by day, the sunset or the moonlight shining on the water!

Ok so what about the hotel? It is has an exclusive feel, almost boutique style. We loved rotating time between the pool, beach bar and the white sandy beach. If you are looking for a cast away, tranquil paradise, this beach is the place for you.

We did quite alot of snorkelling off the shore and also over the blue hole a little further out, but still within the protective reef. There are also canoes and we used one to paddly out to the blue hole to snorkel, and also to explore some of the coast line, there are some little coves and interesting rock formations left and right of the hotel area. What was great was that we could just grab a canoe any time we felt like - no need to book and pay for 30 minutes etc etc. I tried scuba diving for the first time and the diving is really clear, highlights included huge shoals of colourful fish and a turtle. If you are lucky you might see a manta. The sunset sail on a local dhow boat to a sand bank is very worth it.

The staff at the hotel really make the stay particulary special - they are friendly, personable and are happy to meet and remember personal requests. We also met the hotel owners who were also very welcoming and took the time to chat to guests. The hotel is all inclusive and the food and drink were really, really good. There are no self-serve buffets, all is served to you directly (and drinks are included too). We had dinner on the beach one night during which we had a fish platter, stunning!

On a side note, if you are a wildlife lover you are very likely to spot a bush baby in a tree during your stay! Also, in a few months there will be an underwater bedroom available on the reef which would be a further opportunity to view tropical fish by night.

Ok we really enjoyed this place, we honestly loved everything about it. It is very relaxing, beautiful and welcoming. I would heartily recommend going. You are very likely to come away a renewed and refreshed person!

Room Tip: It is worth paying a bit more to have a sea view room.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lizze B
MattManta, Marketing Manager at The Manta Resort, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
It is always a pleasure to read and respond to reviews such as yours and we thank you for taking the time to share your experience and thoughts with us.

From your review you seem to have recognized that The Manta Resort prides itself in ‘down-to-earth’ authenticity, a genuine space in which to relax, where luxury is found in the shared beauty of the island as opposed to the traditional and usual expressions of luxury in other locations. Luxury is certainly defined differently from person to person. What we appreciate in our guests (guests such as yourselves) is their appreciation of Manta’s exceptional location and warm, friendly staff members. Thank you again! Your review reminds us of what we ourselves love about The Manta Resort. Please do come back soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pemba Island
Pemba Lodge
Pemba Lodge
#1 of 1 in Kiweni (Shamiani)
Pemba Crown Hotel
#3 of 8 in Pemba Island
Emerald Bay Resort
Emerald Bay Resort
#2 of 8 in Pemba Island

Been to The Manta Resort? Share your experiences!