“Perfect Honeymoon Destination”
Review of Fundu Lagoon

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Pemba Island
Fundu Lagoon
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Pemba Island
Reviewed September 20, 2007

I am so pleased the most recent reviews for Fundu Lagoon are all excellent - as indeed the resort deserves.
The staff have worked extremely hard to create an idyllic paradise and have exceeded. I do believe that perhaps there were initial teething problems with this resort - it’s in the middle of no where and in the jungle with absolute no infrastructure for hundreds of miles - so it’s understandable that it may have taken a while for them to reach perfection.
But perfection is what you will get if you are privileged enough to stay at Fundu Lagoon - the attention to detail is faultless with so many beautiful touches around the hotel.
We stayed for 6 nights as part of our honeymoon (as most people do) and we had the most wonderful time. We stayed in a superior suite which is probably larger than most people’s homes, and when I return to Fundu Lagoon I will only stay the superior suite as they are truly superb. The only negative thing I can write about Fundu Lagoon is that you wont want to leave and when you finally do you may be a stone heavier due to the unendless amounts of incredibly superb food.
I promised Annie and Matt that I would write this review on my return and although I could go on at length - I feel that the more discerning of traveler will be able to appreciate the beauty Fundu has to offer first off and will want to sample its delights for themselves. I must also add that the diving here won’t disappoint and they have the most skilled and patient instructors so if you would like to learn to dive or if you are a nervous diver then this is where you need to go to build your confidence.
If you want to experience your very own personal piece of luxury in the most authentic of settings then Fundu Lagoon is the resort is for you.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank candyfloss26

Reviewed September 7, 2007

The previous review is spot on. We also can't say enough about Fundu - it's unique and after travelling to many of the 'best' resorts, this is the one that stands out as being genuine whilst still providing 6-star service across the board. The management and staff are exceptional. Beautiful location on the beach for our bungalow, which was so much fun with separate lounge area and plunge pool. Sunset cruises, sport fishing, yacht charters - they have everything despite being an small, exclusive resort with just 16 bungalows. You feel as though you have the whole place to yourself. This is not a commercial, designer/plastic resort and that's its beauty, it fits so well with the nature of the island. Loved scuba diving, amazing reefs and remote islands to visit and the team were knowledgable and totally professional. Their investment in the local community provided us with a very touching visit to a local village to visit the school they built - it enabled us to take a special memory with us that complimented the relaxing luxury of our stay.

1  Thank Floridia
Reviewed September 5, 2007

We had the pleasure of an eight day stay at the Fundu Lagoon as part of our honeymoon and the only thing that I would do differently would have been to stay alot longer! My Wife and I have spent years trying to find somewhere as special and exclusive as Fundu and up until now have always been left unsatified! This place has everything you could want. For those like me who cannot sit still for more than a couple of days on beaches with amazing scenery I would recommed the daily excursion to the uninhabited island Misali where you can sunbathe, trek to the Islands hidden beaches, coves, caves or take advantage of the beautiful dives ( vis 25 - 30m) off numerous untouched reefs with the best dive team I have come across yet! If you don't dive the snorkling is more than enough as my Wife still managed to see turtles, groupers, octopus etc just a few metres from the beach! The resort only has 16 rooms so always feels very exclusive and remote but we also got to meet very like minded people that made the stay even more of a pleasure. The resort itself has alot to offer given the tiny amount of people it accomodates with great bars, very good food, an infinity pool which is excellent for chilling etc. The entertainment is great aswell with Swahili nights, cocktails parties etc. The accomodation is suprisingly luxurious given that you are staying in a treehouse in the Jungle and we found it very entertaing waking to the monkeys playing on the thatched palm roofs! If you are a nature lover as I am there is alot to see and keep you entertained here. We found the hosts to be extremely friendly with service that far exceeded our expectations whilst making us feel at home as did the very friendly local staff. So to sum up paradise does exist and it is called Fundu Lagoon I recommend to all enjoy!!!

1  Thank LondonVincent
Reviewed August 19, 2007

This resort is truly stunning. We spent the majority of our honeymoon there and loved every second. The Management are friendly and available, the staff courteous and kind, and nothing was ever too much trouble. Many couple tack this resort onto the end of a trip, maybe three or four days. Those we came into contact with regretted it the minute they saw the resort. They all wished they had stayed longer. We stayed 13 nights, and that wasn't a day too long. The surroundings are beautiful with all cottages loverlooking the sea. Swahili nights were beautiful, as were the cocktail nights around the infinity pool which has to be seen to be believed. The resort takes most of its staff from the locality, and without exception, everyone of them cared for us beautifully. The owners and management are, I'm sure, extremely proud of each and every one of them.
If your travel agent tries to tell you not to spend too long at Fundu, take no notice. There is plenty to do, in equal measure with time to relax. The Dive facilities and staff are first class and the dive experience exceptional. This could easily be a two week stay resort and you will still regret having to leave. I know we did!
Thanks to everyone there for such an incredible time.

1  Thank sjnfd
Reviewed July 9, 2007

I've just read an old review by a couple who gave the place a one star rating - what a load of rubbish! This place is truly fantastic. My wife and I have just returned from our honeymoon - the staff and managers are so, so friendly... thanks guys, we'll be seeing you as soon as I re-mortgage the house! Our room (yes it had a private plunge-pool) was incredible, the tent was, well a very big luxurious tent... his and hers vanity units and two showers etc... beach fronted (yes, local villagers walked along it and it was no bother at all), with a cool lounge area and mezzanine chill out with another mini-bar. The new pool area (double infinity) commanded spectacular views, the bar snacks on offer were very good quality and not so stomach busting as the 3 course lunch in the main restaurant. On the food topic - I wouldn't say it was truly outstanding, but when you consider the remote location it was of a high standard - great seafood as you might imagine. I went on a couple of dives - wasn't the greatest but the time of year and weather conditions weren't in my favour; that said the dive shop team are a lovely bunch and its just an extra excuse to go back there!! We didn't see a single rat... loads of bushbabies, quite a few pemba-pedes and monkeys playing on the roof of our room and admiring themselves on their reflexions in the solar panels - we had a few mozzie bites (we took anti-malarial tablets as is suggested) but they weren't a real annoyance. I can imagine that this is the kind of place you'd like if you're a grown up richpacker rather than accustomed to sanitised 5 star luxury (could be anywhere in the world) accomodation. I agree that it is on the pricey side - a bit too pricey for what it is perhaps; but I have no real compaints... We will return!!!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 21, 2007

We arrived by speedboat, bombing along the indian ocean as mangrove forests whizzed by, feeling not unlike film stars. And the feeling never really left us.

The place is stunning - set in lush natural gardens fringed by clear blue waters. Within minutes of arriving we were in the glass-like ocean watching the sun set. Follow that with a cocktail at the Beach Bar and you've got a pretty perfect start to your holiday.

The food's great, the diving incredible and the body scrub out of this world. The staff and management do everything to make you feel at home and are attentive without being in your face.

What makes Fundu even more special is the work they do with the local community - from paying hospital fees for sick children to building a new local school, Fundu is a truly thoughtful, community-minded and ethical place, (unlike so many of the safari/tourist companies you get in Tanzania).

We rose early on our last day to catch the 'dolphin safari'. It didn't disappoint. About 35 wild dolphins spent the better part of 2 hours entertaining themselves, and us. Things really don't get much better than this.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with friends
2  Thank sallyTZ
Reviewed April 17, 2007

During our 3-night stay over the Easter weekend, I managed to get in 5 dives (SCUBA)- the night dive was one of the most enjoyable I've ever done. We finished the dive around 8:00 pm - just in time to get back to Fundu for the Swahili Nights dinner - candlelit tables were set along deck - it looked just beautiful as we approached from the sea.

The water was like glass for the first 2 days of our stay- great visibiltiy and 28 deg C waters!

The place is secluded, but if you are looking for a peaceful getaway in a tropical paradise, and the ideal place to get the dust off after finishing your safari! We are planning to visit Fundu again before the end of the year!

Stayed: April 2007