“Simply Outstanding.”
Review of Fundu Lagoon

Fundu Lagoon
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Pemba Island
Reviewed August 7, 2013

1. Booking - When I first made enquiries about Fundu Lagoon I was contacted immediately by Rose and given detailed and concise information about prices, services etc. Rose took care to ensure that all our personal details and dietary requirements were correct and always responded to any questions that I had.

2. Location - As a long term East-Africa resident, I have seen literally dozens of lodges, camps and hotels in Tanzania and Kenya. As far as location is concerned, I find it difficult to imagine anywhere better than Fundu Lagoon. The place was simply stunning. Our initial reaction was that the buildings blended in perfectly with the natural environment. I was greatly impressed to visit a resort where creating harmony between the buildings and the surrounding ecosystem was not simply an afterthought. The designers of Fundu Lagoon should be very proud of what they have created.

3. Facilities - Our room could not have been more perfect. The design of the interior and outdoor areas was excellent and everything felt well laid out and spacious. All the fixtures and fittings worked perfectly and the furniture was functional and stylish. All the small details that often get overlooked in even the best of places were paid attention to at Fundu Lagoon, right down to the quality of the shower gels, shampoo etc. We could not have been happier. All the common areas and bars were as chic and functional as the accommodation. The views of the ocean and the forest were simply stunning.

4. Staff - Over all, the performance of the management and staff at Fundu was exceptional. There was clearly an atmosphere of mutual respect between Hannes and his staff. Immediately upon arriving we felt warmly welcome and comfortable. As a manager and host, Hannes was extremely friendly but not overbearing. We enjoyed his company enormously. All the bar staff, waiters and house keepers that we had contact with were extremely competent and friendly. The kitchen team are clearly talented and well trained and it was very obvious that the behind the scenes operations were functioning very smoothly. It was also a pleasure to meet Chris and chat to him briefly at the bar, he came across as friendly and passionate about his work and had there been time, we definitely would have gone diving with him. The Balinese ladies running the spa were wonderful. The quality of the treatments offered and the oils and product they used during them was excellent. The skill and professionalism of the two ladies was faultless.

5. Food and Drinks - The food was delicious and every meal exceeded our expectation. There was a great variety of dishes on offer and all of them that we tried were very well executed. The seafood in particular was prepared perfectly. The desserts were creative and cleverly prepared and presented. The bar was stocked with premium spirits and the wine was well chosen and matched with the meals.

Room Tip: The Superior Suites are beautiful and great value.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MTanz88
ellis f, Creative Director at Fundu Lagoon, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

How very kind and thoughtful of you to write such a charming review of Fundu Lagoon. As you are long-term residents of East Africa it means a lot to read that you both understood our commitment to the ecological, environmental and social responsibility that we have towards our surroundings. We do make every effort to work in harmony and tandem with the local villages, jungle landscape and wildlife.

Thank you also for your comments about our menus and the standard of food available at Fundu. It is really helpful to us to hear how much you enjoyed the cuisine on offer at the hotel. I will make sure that your kind comments about our masseuses and staff are passed on to them. Hannes is indeed the perfect manager, and he does have a wonderful rapport with our staff right across the board, and Kris is very passionate about his diving responsibilities. Hopefully you’ll be able to pop back for another visit at some time in the future and go diving then.

I was particularly thrilled to read your review about the design of Fundu Lagoon, as this area is my speciality. It is wonderful that you both noticed the little nuances and details at the hotel.

Feedback from our clients is always important to us, so thank you again for taking the trouble and time to write – it is much appreciated.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

We stayed 1 week @ Fundu Lagoon in late June 2011.

The place is awesome and makes you feel like you are alone in paradise.
The restaurants are great and offer a more-than-decent variety of food of excellent quality.
The service is best-in-class with probably 5- employees per client !
We also particularly enjoyed the diving centre and the lunch on the desert island nearby when diving AM & PM
Finally, the early-evening gathering at the bars were nice moment of socialisation.
We did not have issues with moskitos (end-June).
The only disappointment to us is the hotel-front beach with is not very welcoming; however we spent more time on the beach nearby the diving spots

We had one of the best moment of our lives there and would love to return one-day!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Olivier M

Thank you very much for your lovely review of Fundu Lagoon. I was delighted to read that you felt that you were ‘alone in paradise’ – that is exactly the feeling that I wanted to achieve when I was designing the hotel over 10 years ago. I would also agree with you that Fundu really is a stunning place.

With regard to the beach front, we are at the mercy of the tides I’m afraid. The beach is swept every single day by our staff, and any seaweed that is found is buried into the sand so that it can be reabsorbed into the eco-system. However, there are days when the tides will bring in more seaweed, even if the beach has already been swept, and it is just impossible to keep sweeping such a vast area all the time. I’m glad that you enjoyed the seaweed free beach at Misali Island though; it is a wonderful place to spend the day.

I was so pleased to read that you had one of the best moments of your lives during your stay at Fundu Lagoon. Please come and stay with us again; we would love to be able to welcome you back.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

My husband & I were fortunate to stay at Fundu Lagoon for 8 nights during our honeymoon.
We had the most relaxing time.
All the staff were attentive & helpful throughout our stay.
The food was fantastic, and the change of venue for the evening meal was lovely.
We filled our days with lazing by the pool, reading books on our decking, dipping in the plunge pool, snorkelling at Misali Island, diving & drinking cocktails!! If pure relaxation is what you are looking for Fundu is most certainly the place for you!
Big thanks to Hannes, Liz, Chris & Filbert for helping make our stay so perfect.
We hope to be back very soon!
Alex & Fiona

• Stayed: July 2013

Thank you for your very kind review of Fundu Lagoon. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you liked the location and ambience of the resort, along with our different evening meal venues and all the other amenities that we have on offer. Hannes, Liz, Kris and Filbert will be thrilled to read your comments and I will make sure that they see your review.

Congratulations to you both on your recent marriage; I wish you both a long and happy life together, and we all very much look forward to being able to welcome you back to Fundu Lagoon at some time in the future.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

We spent a week at Fundu Lagoon and unfortunately both my wife and I were both unwell for much of the time. For this reason it is difficult to give a full opinion on activities as we were unable to participate apart from a half days fishing.
The staff and food were all great as was the the beachside room, in which we spent rather a lot of time. I was a little surprised to be told on our arrival that should we feel unwell, it was probably the malaria tablets that were the cause and it would be best to stop taking them as Pemba was malaria free. We had arrived from a malaria area, so this seemed very dodgy advice. I have since checked malaria on Pemba and have mixed information. It seems that it has been very much reduced, but not necessarily eliminated. I stand to be corrected on this.
We were also warned about the sand flies, rightly so, because we were both bitten badly.
We didn't have a great experience, but I'm sure had we both been fully fit, we would have had a great time.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your recent review of Fundu Lagoon. I was saddened to read that you were both unwell for most of your holiday with us. I think there might have been some crossed wires in the advice you were given with regard to malaria tablets. Sometimes, depending on the type of malaria pills that our guests are taking, there can be unforeseen side effects such as dizziness, vomiting and diarrhoea. None of the European members of staff working at Fundu take malaria tablets as it is dangerous for us to be on them permanently, so I suspect that this is where the confusion might have arisen. We would never recommend that guests stop taking their medication, especially if they’ve arrived from a malaria area, even if Pemba is a low risk malaria area itself. My sincere apologies for any confusion that we might have inadvertently caused you over this.

The sand flies! This is an ongoing battle which is virtually impossible to control over our entire 42 acre site. We continually trial new eco-friendly repellents but we have yet to find the right product that is really effective on them.

In spite of the amount of time that you ended up spending in your beachside room, I am pleased that you enjoyed Fundu Lagoon as much as you could, given the circumstances. Hopefully we’ll be able to welcome you both back to the resort at some time in the future when you’re both fighting fit.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

My husband and I came to Fundu Lagoon after a week of Safari in Kenya. We had a night overlay in Stone Town and the hotel there was an utter disappointment. So we were really worried what the last 5 nights of our honeymoon at Fundu would be like... we shouldn't have - as soon as the boat dropped us off at the pier we knew we were at the right place. We were welcomed warmly and check-in was a breeze. We arrived mid-afternoon and told we could eat something at the pool restaurant. The food was excellent and from there on out we ate like kings! We went snorkeling (highly recommend), my husband went deep sea fishing while I spent a quiet day at the gorgeous pool, we had wonderful massages, enjoyed the most beautiful sunsets at the pier bar and relaxed like never before. The Wahoo my husband caught were served to us as ceviche at the pier bar! The service was impeccable and the staff was friendly, without being 'over the top'.
The only negative is that it is hard to get there, no easy plane connections, so nothing for a 'quick' trip... unfortunately since we would love to go back sometime soon!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank malimini1
ellis f, Creative Director at Fundu Lagoon, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Thank you very much for your review of Fundu Lagoon. I was so pleased to read that you appreciated the gentle and relaxed atmosphere of the resort. I am proud of the high standard of service that we offer to our guests, and I will make sure that your comments about your enjoyment of the food on offer are passed on to our staff. I will also make sure that your feedback is sent to our masseuses – they are indeed extremely skilled, and they will be so happy that you enjoyed their massages. I must admit that I always try and book in for a massage myself whenever I’m visiting the resort.

Well done to your husband on his splendid fishing catch, and I’m delighted to learn that you both got to sample the Wahoo that he caught later that evening at the jetty bar; all fish caught by our guests is always handy for our restaurant!

I can’t argue with you on your comments about getting to our location – unless you happen to live around Dar es Salaam or Unguja, quick weekend trips aren’t realistic at all! However, I hope you’ll agree that the long journey is worth it, and although Charleston isn’t exactly on our doorstep, we would all really look forward to welcoming you both back to Fundu sometime in the future. I am thrilled that Fundu Lagoon made the end of your honeymoon so special. Many congratulations on your recent wedding, and I wish you both a long and happy future life together.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

We spent a week here at the beginning of the season so the weather was generally overcast but it was still warm enough to make use of all the outside areas including hammock. I had read previously that the ethos was relaxed shabby chic, and it was. I loved it. All the staff were fantastic and couldn't do enough for you, you only had to ask. Food was simple but plentiful. 3 courses for breakfast, lunch and dinner can't be bad. Drinks were local but good, just remember to ask for singles if you want taste your mixer but my tip is go for the cocktails, lime daquaris and screw drivers were particular favourites. Our thanks go to Hannes and his fabulous team. If you are lucky enough to visit here, you will see the piece of my heart I left at the jetty bar watching the sun go down every evening. Perfection.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank zhatton
ellis f, Creative Director at Fundu Lagoon, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2013

What a great review to start off Fundu Lagoon’s 2013 season! I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed the style and ambience of the resort, along with our menus and amenities. I always think that nothing beats a few cocktails on the jetty bar at sundown, and over the years our bar staff have indeed become serious mixologists!

Hannes will be very pleased to read your review and I know that he’ll pass on your kind comments to his team. The piece of your heart that you left here will be well cared for, and I hope that one day we’ll be able to welcome you both back to Fundu Lagoon once more.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

Staying at Fundu Lagoon was a highlight of our trip to Tanzania. From the moment of arrival at the airport the service was impeccable but unobtrusive. The setting is gorgeous, with the Indian Ocean in front and lush vegetation behind. Canoeing among the mangroves at high tide is a must, as is a snorkelling trip. The food is fresh, simple and delicious, and the fact that everything is prepaid means you never have to think about prices. All the staff were incredibly attentive without seeming to fuss, and nothing was too much trouble. The safari-style looks simple and rustic, but is in fact extremely comfortable. I would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Obviously beach front rooms are premium, but hillside rooms are better value and in some ways offer...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
ellis f, Creative Director at Fundu Lagoon, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

How very kind of you to write such as lovely review of Fundu Lagoon. I am so pleased that you found our transportation arrangements impeccable and unobtrusive, and also that you enjoyed the location and ambience of the resort, along with our menu and amenities.

I am very proud of the high standard of service that we offer to our guests at Fundu, and I will make sure that your kind comments are passed on to all of our staff, as they will be much appreciated.

I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back to Fundu Lagoon at some future date. Feedback from our clients is important to us, so thank you again for taking the time and trouble to write – it is much appreciated.