“There is no better way to unwind and relax in east Africa!”
Review of Gecko Nature Lodge

Gecko Nature Lodge
Stone Town, Tanzania
“There is no better way to unwind and relax in east Africa!”
Reviewed February 25, 2014

After a hectic week at work We'd planned a few days away for some rest, recuperation & diving in Pemba! Kervan Saray is a little peace of heaven in the North-west of the island. The staff are really friendly and helpful, the rooms are stunning and the food is excellent. The relaxed ambience of the place makes you feel part of the Swahili divers family straight away and we made some really nice friends.
The diving, especially off "the wall" is spectacular and there is so much to see.
I'd happily recommend a trip here to anyone, diver or not. It's either great diving, forest walks, beaches, kayaking and cycling or lying by the sea with a good book. The perfect way to unwind!

Room Tip: Fear not, all the rooms are spacious and beautiful with real character
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TrentendK

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Turkish first
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed February 6, 2014

Very pleasant, tranquille place. Nice bungalows - big and clean. Set menu with very good food. Swahili divers are competent, nice and fun dive operator. The location is remote and with no near neighbours. Reading, relaxing, diving, walking and kayaking is the name of the game! We liked it a lot.

Room Tip: There was no gym or spa.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HaidiWK
Brasilia, DF
Reviewed December 9, 2013

The Kervan Saray Beach Lodge is a fantastic place for who is looking for amazing dives and good accomodation. Everything works well!

The diving staff is excellent! Nice atmosphere! It is a place to meet people and make friends!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Juanito22
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I was at Kervan Saray Beach lodge mid Oct 2013 when I went to Zanzibar and Pemba Islands on a diving trip, and I have to say it was nothing like what I expected. Although I knew the lodge and the dive centre is located in the greens, I didn't know it meant exactly that !

The manager, Deon took us on a short tour of the lodge and explained how everything worked. I fell in love with the deck by the ocean on the very first sight, I think I must have spent every free second (apart from diving & kayaking) at the deck, just reading my book, dozing off, watching the sunset. So peaceful !
So, the rooms or the bungalows are pretty basic with a thatch roof, and semi-open roof bathrooms, but it's the best that you can get in the middle of nowhere. If you scream at the sight of spiders and gekkos, this place isn't for you. But if you can truly appreciate the beauty of wilderness and untamed nature, you'll love this place and the tranquility it has to offer.

There's a big dinner table in the bar/restaurant area where all the guests eat their meals together, it's a really nice concept as you can get to know people from different walks of life.. and really you have to talk to your fellow-guests, coz otherwise you'll end up having conversations with the bush-babies haha..
I had my first taste of a real Swahili meal here at Pemba, and I absolutely loved it. I especially enjoyed the African spicy chai with ginger and cloves, really nice ! :)

The dive centre run by Swahili Divers is totally upto the mark. Instructor Darren talked us through the do's and dont's and everything else you should know about diving in Pemba in detail. That was extremely helpful. I went diving with Instructor Craig the next day, and I have to say he's a beyond-excellent dive guide. DM-in-training Issa was very helpful too.
Very professional and friendly guys, they make you feel at ease instantly, and you just know you're on for a great diving experience which I did. Although the currents were crazy strong in the second dive, it was good fun. You can't expect calm waters here, you're in Pemba !!
I went kayaking the next day, that was quite nice as well !

Before this whole adventure even started, I was in constant touch with Francisca through emails, and I have to say this trip wouldn't have been possible without her help. I knew zilch about diving and staying in Pemba, and Francisca literally held my hands through planning EVERYTHING - right from flights, equipment, finances..I had her input on everything. She's really prompt and extremely helpful. Unfortunately, I didn't get to see her as she was travelling, but hey there's always a next time.

Guys, if you are planning to go to Pemba Islands - Kervan Saray and Swahili Divers is the place you want to be at

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed October 5, 2013

I visited the first week on October and had a memorable time.
Family atmosphere- The moment my group arrived, we were welcomed as part of the family. Cisca had set up the arrangements for my group, therefore when all the accomodations and excursions were handled, we had a no stress trip! The genuine staff(Deon, Craig, Daren) made the experience very warm and inviting.
The meals were friendly dining with the other visitors and staff. The homemade cuisane kept us looking forward to the meals and anticipating what speciality would be for dinner. Open fire pit wtih skewer catch of the day to soups made from scratch. Spoiled would be a simple desciption.

Great Dive Staff- Craig and Darren were top notch Dive Masters. While keeping a close eye for safety at all times, the dives were an incredible experience. Knowing that my group only had a few days of diving, Craig expertly arranged a variety of dive sites to ensure we had a diverse exposure to the Pema.

Would I recommend to anyone wanting a family, relaxed atmosphere with great staff and a diving experience to be remembered. Yes.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I went to Kervan Saray Beach Lodge in August and had an unforgettable experience! I was there for the world class diving that was provided by Swahili Divers and I've got to say they offered some of the best diving I've ever done. Their operation was run by professional PADI instructors Craig and Darren who were always very helpful and knowledgeable about the diving in the area. They ran a tight ship and were excellent guides! Iza the dive master in training was also very helpful with the divers and will make a great DM one day! This is a place to go if you want to be immersed in the beauty of Tanzania. It is by far one of the coolest places to visit. Special thanks to Raf, Cisca and Deon for all their help!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Stone Town, Tanzania
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I work on Zanzibar, and don't get much time to get away from it all (yes, I know it is quite unbelievable for someone living in a tropical paradise to be complaining about being stuck there) - I headed up there at the beginning of June 2013 for some rest and relaxation, and I'm so glad I went here!

Pemba is a much different creature than Unguja (the main island in the Zanzibar archipelago), with less hustle and bustle than the relatively thriving city life in Stone Town - and for someone wanting to kick back and relax without any hassle I cannot recommend this place highly enough!

I spend the majority of my life diving, but I still couldn't resist checking out the diving conditions on the northern island - WOW. The crystal clear waters and jaw-dropping drop-offs need to be seen to be believed. With the island being somewhat off the beaten track the dive sites benefit from not being inundated with numerous dive boats and being swamped with divers kicking lumps out of the reefs... so while I'm saying this is good, I'd like to say in the same breath that it's bad that more people don't know enough about this small island in East Africa and make it one of the top items on a wishlist of places to dive!

The resort was clean, and the food was magnificent! It was very nice touch to have the managers sit and eat and chat with you - Deon, Cisca, Raf and Sam always have some great stories about Africa and they are a real pleasure to spend time with.

Top tip: make sure you spend at least one of your evenings have a nice drink sat on the deck overlooking the beach and ocean as the sun slowly sets. Simply fantastic.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple