“Extraordinary experience!”

Amapondo Backpackers Lodge
Pretoria, South Africa
“Extraordinary experience!”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

We had a great time at Amapondo. It was my personal favourite, great time of my life... Had a great welcoming, awesome party, breathtaking adventures. The camp site had a view to die for! I can't wait to visit again!!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Amapondo, Owner at Amapondo Backpackers Lodge, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
FANTASTIC !!! We loved you being here too and can't wait for you to come back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 6, 2014

This was my second visit to Amapondo, this time with friends from abroad. I must say I was very disappointed. It was just too wonky, for want of a better word. I knew what I was getting my friends into by staying at Amapondo, but it ended up disappointing us. Some of the staff were just too fried and too slow, so everything from ordering food, ordering a drink, paying a bill, going on a tour etc took forever. PSJ is a fun town, and Amapondo is a fun hang out spot. But as a place to stay we found it stressful. There are other places in the Transkei I would rather spend an extra night at.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
I'm sorry you were disappointed. December is our busiest time, and so its best to a bit patient sometimes. However I am surprised you felt that it took long to do anything or get service as this is quite the opposite report we are getting from most guests we had over December. Perhaps you were just unlucky.
Paris, France
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Booked for one night, ended up staying for 4. Really enjoyed the excursions, definitely go to the blow hole if you have the time. Big thank you to the wonderful Marianne - you're a a huge asset to the establishment. Feel very relaxed after the stay, ready to tackle 2014

• Stayed August 2013
Amapondo, Owner at Amapondo Backpackers Lodge, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Glad you had such a great time. We have so many activities and excursions, the Blow Hole being one of the best.

Marianne (or Mazz as she is mostly known), is truly one of our best staff members. She's been here for many years, and is not only a great manager, but also a wonderful energy, and really knows how to get a party started.

Hope you can visit us again some time.
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed December 16, 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Amapondo! The hospitality from the staff was incredible and it turned out to be one of the most relaxing yet fun filled holidays I have had in a LONG time! I definitely recommend Amapondo if you are looking for a great time away with incredible people

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Amapondo, Owner at Amapondo Backpackers Lodge, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
What a great review. Thanks so much. Glad you had such a great time here with us and that you enjoyed our staff, service, and all our fun-filled activities. Please come again.
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed December 15, 2013

This was meant to be a one night stop for us in December 2012. The friendly and welcoming environment, interesting people, amazing view and wide range of activities meant we stayed for 4 extra days!

We would go back in a heartbeat and would recommend this place to anyone looking to make some friends along the way, in fact, you could easily stay here for a week!

Till next time...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Lot's of people arrive and don't want to leave. Including me! I used to visit Amapondo as a tourist for many years, and then one day, I decided to buy the place. Its so AWESOME here. Lots to do and lots of great people to meet. Glad you enjoyed it so much.
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed December 14, 2013

This is how I remember backpackers. It had been a while since I stayed at one but it lived up to my expectations. It's all about atmosphere and fun. Great place to chill, then go to the beach or walk to the waterfalls or just party into the morning!
Though looking at some negative reviews I can see its not always perfect and not for everyone, then again never stayed at a backpackers for the 5 star service.. but for a budget it was a great return to my younger easy-going travels.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Juza S
Thanks for the great review. We get people of all ages staying here, from young children with their families, to backpackers in the mid-twenties, to the more mature crowd. Although most of our guests are younger, we love having people of all ages. Its a backpackers, but its still really cool no matter what age you are. Come along, have some fun, and enjoy. Thanks for coming and we hope to see you here again some time.
Grahamstown, South Africa
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Amapondo is one of the best places I've ever stayed. The staff are so friendly and give great advice on what to do. They have awesome hikes to nearby waterfalls, cultural tours, horse riding trips. We did it all. Well organized and cheap too. We also partied in their crazy bar. The evening quickly turned into a lot of fun when the staff supplied us with Fancy Dress and crazy masks, and I ended up Hoola Hooping till early in the morning! They have lots of cool animals too, including a really friendly donkey called 'Donkilizwe', two peacocks, and a few dogs and cats. Its just opposite the beach and there is a great place to swim there. People say its sharky, but if you feel uncomfortable even in the shallow water, then go to this rock pool just next to the beach. Its deep and fun to hang out at.

If you're in the Wild Coast, you gotta get to Amapondo. Seriously one of the best backpackers in the country.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
WOW! I love to hear such good vibes from someone who just stayed with us. Glad you had such a good time and enjoyed our donkey so much too. I just came back from the beach where I had a great swim in that cool rock pool. Please come again.